Thread: Casting your desktop to a LG webOS TV

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Casting your desktop to a LG webOS TV

I have a [LG] webOS TV in the same room as my xubuntu desktop computer and router.

I have installed Gnome Network Displays on the PC and both machines are on the same 5G network.

When I connect the PC to the TV via wifi the TV puts up a 'cancel' option and no option to connect. The Network display app only has an option to 'Return' which closes the connection.

If I do nothing and wait the connection times out and returns to the TV program. The TV is obviously waiting for permission to connect.

I cannot see any way to 'accept' the connection via the TV remote.

I appreciate this is a TV problem but wonder if anyone has come across the same or similar problem as most smart tvs are similar in operation. In the meantime I will try to find an LG TV forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Casting your desktop to a LG webOS TV

I would not use webOS for this and I absolutely wouldn't connect a "smart" TV to the Internet.

Why not just connect your Ubuntu PC to the TV via HDMI? If you need to control it remotely, use a second computer with VNC.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The tv and computer are on opposite side of the room! I don't need to control the tv, just cast to it, eg. movies, photos etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

as far as I can see gnome network displays is an experimental endeavor. Not much help to your issue, yet I remember, a long time ago, using chrome to connect ubuntu to miracast or something similar, so you could search that as an alternative. I expect a more experienced member to give you the answer you are seeking.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

as far as I can see gnome network displays is an experimental endeavor. Not much help to your issue, yet I remember, a long time ago, using chrome to connect ubuntu to miracast or something similar, so you could search that as an alternative. I expect a more experienced member to give you the answer you are seeking.

Regards!
    Thank you. I do feel the problem is with the TV end and just wondered if anyone had found a solution. Gnome Network Display seems to work correctly.

I am attempting to find a solution via a TV forum and suppliers in the meantime.

It has been suggested I need an Android emulator to get Linux to talk to an Android TV.
    Last edited by makem2; June 17th, 2024 at 12:52 PM.

Beans

A lot of "Smart" TVs can act as clients for various streaming servers e.g. DLNA servers. So I'd consult the manual of the TV and take a hard look at the options for that. Alternatively I've seen the option to connect to a Windows network share to play media files located on that share on some TVs.

Holger

Beans

If you want to access the media on the TV then setup something like Plex or a simple Samba share (Or whatever technology the TV can connect to). Much easier

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I ended up finding Jellyfin which I can use on my pc until I get a NAS.