Thread: Xubuntu upgrade crashed

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu upgrade crashed

Ok, I took a chance this morning and forced an upgrade to 24.04 (from 22.04), using sudo do-release-upgrade -d. I'd done that on my two laptops already, because reinstalling those from scratch would be no big deal if it all tanked. I was going to hold off on my desktop, since that would be a hassle to redo from scratch. However, with a change to the source for a project I'm involved in (https://github.com/raceintospace/rac...omment-9782712), I needed cmake 3.25 but only had 3.22.1 and 3.25 isn't available for the old LTS...so I decided to bite the bullet and do the upgrade.

Everything ran fine, but at one point it just crashed. No error message or anything that I saw; just suddenly my terminal windows closed. Now I have the 24.04 look to the Desktop and lsb_release -r returns 24.04 and I can't use sudo do-release-upgrade -d to resume the upgrade. I still have Software instead of the Snap Store, and it looks like Wine is broken, don't know what else.

Fortunately I used Clonezilla to create an image of my hard drive recently, so I can revert to how the machine was a few weeks ago, but that'll take a while, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions to repair this system, some way to resume the upgrade, or whatever.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu upgrade crashed

Well, I reverted it and then the upgrade ran successfully. So to anyone considering doing the forced upgrade, be sure to image your hard drive with Clonezilla or something first!