Thread: please help

Beans

please help

I just got this new computer for my son for school and i am trying to download all the programs he need to be able to use it and it wont let me down load the software i have never used the ubuntu before and have no idea what i am doing we got this computer through this program for a free computer called compudopt and cant figure out how to use it any help would be greatly apprecieated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: please help

Hello!

If you have come from Windows, one of the things that you will find is that you won't want to just download and install software randomly. Most Linux distributions have what are called repositories with software packages you can install. If taken from the distribution's "Official" repositories, these packages have generally been tested against the distribution (in this case Ubuntu) to make sure they work.

Linux is not Windows, so there will be some unlearning/relearning to do. Things will seem unfamiliar and confusing at first. Just remember that you are "learning a new language", so to speak. It all makes sense in the Linux context, but you will have to be willing to avoid demanding that your experience should be like Windows.

II would suggest reading and working through an Ubuntu Handbook. Give me a few minutes to find a reference for you. I'm sure it will be confusing, frustrating and bizarre for you -- until you learn to use Linux as you learned to use Windows. Remember that you did not just magically start out knowing how to use Windows, either.

Since you will be confused, we are happy to help you through this.

Hang on for a bit while a review a few choices, and I'll post some links.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In addition to the excellent advice given by QIII, please also post a list of the programs you need on the computer.

Linux often has alternatives that are as good if not better than the Windows equivalent.

Knowing what you need will help us focus the advice.

Beans

What are you trying to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Sorry for getting back to this so late. The wind kicked up while we were putting bird nets over some of the fruit trees and made a mess! Sigh. Farming.

Anyway ...

I wasn't able to find a very current Ubuntu handbook. It seems as though there used to be a free .pdf that came out shortly after a new release, but I didn't find one that was trustworthy yet.

You can, however, start with some official Ubuntu information here.

You may use the Ubuntu standard App Center to find and install new application packages. Click the App Center icon in the Dock, or search for Software in the Activities search bar.

(I would suggest installing Synaptic eventually. It is a graphical front end that I think is better than the standard Ubuntu App Center. It is definitely better than Muon for Kubuntu!)

As suggested above, let us know what sorts of packages you would like to install, and we can provide further help.

But please: Refrain from downloading and installing packages you find randomly on the web. You never know what you are getting!

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

I need to install Google classroom most of his home work assignments are sent the I also need to install silhouette studio for his art class it's his software for his silhouette cameo 4 printer I also need Google document Google meets his school uses almost all Google apps for all his assignments

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angelfire04 View Post
    I need to install Google classroom most of his home work assignments are sent the I also need to install silhouette studio for his art class it's his software for his silhouette cameo 4 printer I also need Google document Google meets his school uses almost all Google apps for all his assignments
    Go to google.com
    Classroom is one of the apps you access from the 9-dot icon in upper right (see screenshot). So no installation should be necessary. You just have to sign in.

Google Docs is also selectable from the same display.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 16th, 2024 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Was the use of Ubuntu required by the school?

I'm not sure that Silhouette Studio can be run natively under Linux.