Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PSU Necessary?

Beans

New PSU Necessary?

I have a 4 year old Seasonic PSU. It is non modular 550 Watts. Here is the issue. It only has one 8 pin CPU power connector. The motherboard in question needs 2 8 pin connectors? Is there anyway that I can use this PSU?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New PSU Necessary?

It might be helpful to include the motherboard and CPU, so readers can draw conclusion about their power requirements to help you.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That is a very low quality power supply which I would not use. You should post the CPU and GPU you plan on using since that uses the most power in a machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    That is a very low quality power supply which I would not use. You should post the CPU and GPU you plan on using since that uses the most power in a machine.
    I am planning on using the Ryzen 5 8600G. I won't be using a graphics card.
    I was under the impression that Seasonic was a top brand of PSU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Seasonic used to be one of if not the most reliable. Whether that is still true can change daily. And in this case Bronze rated is the bottom of the barrel. Certainly not junk but far from superior in any real way. If the board requires 2 8 pins then you need a new psu no questions asked. You could try splicing wires but you will regret it in short order I'd imagine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I am planning on using the Ryzen 5 8600G. I won't be using a graphics card.
    Then you will be just fine using a single 8-pin (or 4+4) EPS connector unless you try to overclock the heck out of it. That PSU should work just fine too.
    And there are far more important things than the 80 Plus rating (Bronze, Gold, whatever) that determine a PSU's quality.
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Seasonic used to be one of if not the most reliable. Whether that is still true can change daily. And in this case Bronze rated is the bottom of the barrel. Certainly not junk but far from superior in any real way. If the board requires 2 8 pins then you need a new psu no questions asked. You could try splicing wires but you will regret it in short order I'd imagine.
    The bronze/gold/titanium ratings mean absolutely nothing about a PSU's quality.

Seasonic S12III, S12II EVO and A12 have no OTP/OCP in the supervisor IC. They also appear group-regulated vs DC-DC. I.e, they are all low-quality PSUs which may put your hardware at risk. All so you can save $50? Then again, if you're building a low end ATX, it might not matter
    Last edited by currentshaft; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    The bronze/gold/titanium ratings mean absolutely nothing about a PSU's quality.

Seasonic S12III, S12II EVO and A12 have no OTP/OCP in the supervisor IC. They also appear group-regulated vs DC-DC. I.e, they are all low-quality PSUs which may put your hardware at risk. All so you can save $50? Then again, if you're building a low end ATX, it might not matter
    I bought the PSU 4 years ago when they were expensive. I thought that I was getting a good unit. I used it for about 3 years before the MB died. I am still in the process of gathering information for a new build. Since I don't play games, my needs are modest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I bought the PSU 4 years ago when they were expensive. I thought that I was getting a good unit. I used it for about 3 years before the MB died. I am still in the process of gathering information for a new build. Since I don't play games, my needs are modest.
    It's not a good unit if it fried your motherboard in less than three years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast