Thread: Installation failure - rsync read errors mapping

Beans

Installation failure - rsync read errors mapping

Hi.

Installation of Ubuntu 22.04 RTL on local SSD fully cleaned formated, health checked, laptop HP pro Book G4 using the USB stick is failling at:

Jun 14 18:14:30 ubuntu subiquity_log.5671[9075]: rsync: [sender] read errors mapping "/tmp/ tmpszpdh1cz/mount/var/lib/snapd/seed/snaps/gnome-42-2204_176.snap": Input/output error (5)

Iso checksum once download had been checked, then flashed using Rufus and Belena Etcher (twice, in case) without any reported error so the tick seems good health.

But it's a 8Go one ! And I just had read the instructions that advise 12Go !!? I mean 🤔 seriously ? Could it be the problem ? Why so much when 4Go stick is enough for Mint or Majaro...I hope it's not the real problem.

Currently I can't afford a new one but fortunately my pc has an internal secondary HD. Since Ubuntu Live works consistently using the bootable USB,
    could anyone explain me how to create on the SSD a bootable 12Go "rescue" drive into which I will copy the ISO, that will mimic the purpose of the USB Stick just for the installation (and in case of complete recovery) ?

Thanks
    Last edited by nicmol76; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installation failure - rsync read errors mapping

What is "8Go", "4Go" and "12Go"? I don't know those terms.

Any normal Ubuntu Live boot ISO can be used as a rescue OS. Just use the same release you have installed, but don't worry about the DE included. Lighter versions should be smaller and faster, but have the core tools needed to address most issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    What is "8Go", "4Go" and "12Go"? I don't know those terms.

Any normal Ubuntu Live boot ISO can be used as a rescue OS. Just use the same release you have installed, but don't worry about the DE included. Lighter versions should be smaller and faster, but have the core tools needed to address most issues.
    Go is gigaoctet
    https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/gb-go.6152/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

gigaoctet
    gigaoctet m (plural gigaoctets). (computing) gigabyte synonym △. Synonym: (abbreviation) Go. Coordinate terms.
    What is the difference between go and gb?
    So go=gb because gigaoctet=gigabyte. Until today I did not know this because I had never heard of the gigaoctet. It makes sense, eight bits to a byte, so why not call it an octet?
    I had never heard of it either until I saw TheFu questioning it.

One of the guidelines of writing etiquette that we had in one organization where I worked was that if a new term or acronym was to be used, it would be defined at first use like this, gigaoctet (Go). It would also be listed in an appendix to the document.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/