Thread: Lost my Firefox profile when refreshing Firefox snap

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lost my Firefox profile when refreshing Firefox snap

I'm with Ubuntu 24.04. I've just refreshed the Firefox snap and got version 126.0.1. When I restarted Firefox, it told me that I had to create a new profile because I was using an old version. I tried different things to get back to the profile I was using before refreshing, like starting the Firefox Profile Manager (for instance "firefox -p" from the command line) and trying to import my old profile which I still can see in the snap profile folder. I couldn't recover the old profile no matter what I tried.

Did I do anything wrong?

Is this a problem with the last Firefox version or a problem with the snap packaing?

(no snap flaming please, just take for granted I want to use Firefox packaged as a snap, and I know I can use it and how to use it as a deb or flatpak, but I don't want to)
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or : poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat ; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut. Si s'ha resolt, marqueu [Solved].

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Lost my Firefox profile when refreshing Firefox snap

Quote Originally Posted by wgarcia View Post
    Did I do anything wrong?

Is this a problem with the last Firefox version or a problem with the snap packaing?
    Nothing to do with you, it's hard to say if it is snap or firefox, is your old profile still on your system?
    Code:
    about:profiles
    I'm currently on version 127, and have not seen or had any problems with a non snap firefox
    Last edited by 1fallen; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:26 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did try to access my old profile with "about : profiles" or starting directly the firefox profile manager from command line with "firefox -p". My old profile is indeed still in the system, but this version of Firefox tells me that it has an "old format" and it has to create a new profile.

I recreated the profile already (I use an extension called "Cloud dials" which is very useful in this type of cases to recreate fast access to all my favorite sites, and the other main important part of my profile is "save passwords" and "certificates", those I had to recreate from scratch). But I'm worried the same happens in two other systems of mine. Well, now that I have a working profile in this system, maybe it is no so bad if it fails in the other systems because I can copy over this working profile.
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or : poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat ; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut. Si s'ha resolt, marqueu [Solved].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What about Firefox's sync function? That should restore your passwords and bookmarks. I don't know about your certificates.

--glenn
    Last edited by psychohermit; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sync is a good suggestion, thanks.

Maybe the problem was that I've been updating this system since, I think, 2013 or 2014, without any reinstallation. Maybe the format of the profile installed back then became obsolete.