Thread: how to specify options for path?

Beans

Question how to specify options for path?

I cannot figure out how to specify the options for the path, i tried multiple times but it still doesn't work.

Can someone please help?

Code:
    sudo spades.py -k 127 --careful -1 /Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq -2 /Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_2.clean.fq -o /Documents/AINUR/MYD/spades_MYD_output_denovo_assembly -t 16

= Error ==  Please specify option (e.g. -1, -2, -s, etc) for the following paths: /Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq
    Last edited by QIII; June 13th, 2024 at 06:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to specify options for path?

There are two types of paths to files and directories. Seems you haven't learned this, though it works exactly the same on MacOS, MS-Windows, MS-DOS, and all Unix-like OSes.

1. Relative paths. These are relative to the pwd/cwd - present workding directory aka the current working directory. These types of paths begin with anything other than a '/' character. Typically, they would be with a ../ or no directory separator at all. For example, if your PWD is /tmp/ and you want to see the files listed there, you'd type ls. Or ls /tmp

You can also type ls /home/ainurftn to see the files in your HOME directory. Similarly, ls ~/ or ls $HOME or ls ~ainurftn are the same.

2. Absolute paths. These always begin with a '/' character. Your example above, /Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq is an absolute path. It may exist, but likely does not, as it would not be normal for "Documents" to be outside a "HOME" directory. I can only make an educated guess (30+ yrs of education, and there are lots of exceptions, but ... ) that you really want to use ls ~/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq as the shortest way. However, ~/ is dependent on the current userid. If your pwd is ~/ainurftn, then you can just use Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq without the leading '/' character.

Any beginning Unix book would explain this. Get one here: https://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php - free, no-hassle, download. You can walk into any bookstore and buy a copy, if you like or just download the PDF.

Anyway, I hope that is clear and doesn't confuse things. If you also learn to use tab-completion, then you'll never attempt to run a command with the wrong inputfile again. Tab-completion will only fill in existing paths/filenames. It is one of those shell tools that is hard to explain in words, but simple to see and learn to use in less than 20 seconds watching a video. There must be 5000 of them on YT. Spend the time to learn this part of your shell. It will save you thousands of hours and prevent millions of mistakes.

Beans

Should it not be
    Code:
    sudo spades.py -k 127 --careful -1 $HOME/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq -2 $HOME/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_2.clean.fq -o $HOME/Documents/AINUR/MYD/spades_MYD_output_denovo_assembly -t 16
    I assume the files are in /home/$USER/Documents.... etc

TheFU's explanaition is very succinct and explains it well. "/" is the root of the file system, not your user's home folder.

Beans

I tried the /home/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq but it still doesn't work.

spades.py -k 127 --careful -1 --pe1 -1/home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq -2 --pe1-2 -2/home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_2.clean.fq -o .home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/spades_MYD_output_denovo_assembly -t 16

== Error == Please specify option (e.g. -1, -2, -s, etc) for the following paths: /home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq, /home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_2.clean.fq

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

/home/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq
    is not
    $HOME/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq

Details matter!

spades.py -k 127 --careful -1 --pe1 -1/home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq -2 --pe1-2 -2/home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_2.clean.fq -o .home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/spades_MYD_output_denovo_assembly -t 16

Shows inconsistencies. You are missing spaces between the different options.
    Code:
    --pe1 -1/home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq
    is not
    Code:
    --pe1     -1     /home/colfax/Documents/AINUR/MYD/MYD_1.clean.fq
    Spaces matter.

$HOME is an environment variable. Did you get that PDF book and start reading?
    Last edited by TheFu; June 13th, 2024 at 02:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like -pe1 needs to be connected to the last number so it should read as pe1-1 with no space.
    see: https://ablab.github.io/spades/running.html
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Looks like -pe1 needs to be connected to the last number so it should read as pe1-1 with no space.
    see: https://ablab.github.io/spades/running.html
    Good catch. There are examples in that link. Here's one.
    Code:
    spades.py --pe1-1 lib1_forward_1.fastq --pe1-2 lib1_reverse_1.fastq \
              --pe1-1 lib1_forward_2.fastq --pe1-2 lib1_reverse_2.fastq \
              -o spades_output
    Note where spaces ARE and where spaces ARE NOT. It matters.