Thread: Adding Home Theater to Ubuntu

Beans

Adding Home Theater to Ubuntu

Hi,
    I currently have a smart tv (not connected to internet), a win 8 computer and a Morantz receiver.

I want to desperately scrap the win 8 for Bodhi. The tv is using an HDMI connection to the receiver and the receiver to the PC.

Does anyone have any experience connecting a receiver to Ubuntu?
    Can the usual Pulseaudo, blueman and bluez work passing through the PC to the Morantz?

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start the conversion.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Adding Home Theater to Ubuntu

I use an Ubuntu Server to run Jellyfin, then use RaspberryPi v2/v3/v4 devices running OSMC at the receiver location to drive audio and our projectors. Because of my receiver (Onkyo and Kenwood), I split off the audio from the HDMI output to a TosLink for the audio receivers.

I don't have any 4K resolution output, which I understand will cause issues with HDCP from any stock Linux system, so a commercial player - like the Vero V https://osmc.tv/vero/ - with proprietary HDMI code is needed to output 4K thanks to the HDMI/HDCP standards "committee" aka cartel never approving any F/LOSS software for that purpose. If course, if you don't haven't any HDCP content, then 4K output shouldn't be a problem.

Additionally, the audio signals can be passed through from the source files to the receiver, so it will need to decode any specialized audio codecs like Atmos or DD+. My receivers don't have any of that, so I just force 5.1 PCM through the TosLink.

I would never use bluetooth for anything on purpose. Last time my computer was hacked, it was because I forgot to disable Bluetooth and remove the drivers. I don't need that to happen, yet again.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into what you are doing.
    I don't bluetooth either. I tried it once and couldn't jack the volume up high enough for any real sound.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you don't need/want bluetooth, you don't need blueman or bluez. Seems that will remove 2/3rd of the problems.

Beans

Wow I didn't realize that. Thanks no bluez or blueman for me.