Thread: Custom application launcher woes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Custom application launcher woes

I'd like to use an alternative terminal emulator called "st".

I am surprised how difficult it is to perform an extremely basic task on Ubuntu 24: add a shortcut to st to my dock.

First result in search is https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToAddaLauncher which looks about a decade out of date and just useless.

Fair enough, maybe it's a GNOME thing. Here's the documentation: https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-h...tml.en#desktop

Zero mention of pinning custom apps/programs to the dock, only my "favorite" apps - but I don't have an "app" made yet.

How do I make a custom app for my terminal emulator? I find: https://developer.gnome.org/document...g_started.html

Looks like I need to download an entire IDE ... from a site which "is planned for retirement". Well, I'm not doing that.

Search around some more and apparently I need to make a "foo.desktop" file in ~/.local/share/applications

I do that:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Terminal=true
    Name=st
    Icon=xterm
    Exec=/usr/local/bin/st
    This makes an "st" application available, but now when I launch it, it opens two windows: Terminal, which is opening another window for st.

This defeats the point of what I'm trying to do.

How do I add a shortcut for st to my dock, and why do I even have to ask such a basic question in 2024?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Custom application launcher woes

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    when I launch it, it opens two windows: Terminal, which is opening another window for st.

This defeats the point of what I'm trying to do.
    The Terminal=true line is explicitly requesting this behavior. Does the launcher not work if you instead set Terminal=false or entirely remove the Terminal= line?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That means the desktop cannot make an association between the launcher and a running window. To fix that, add a "StartupWMClass=…" line to indicate the WMClass of such terminal window.

Beans

... why do I even have to ask such a basic question in 2024?
    This is partially on the developers of st for not including a .desktop file - but then none of the suckless tools do, the developers believe in using a really minimal environment instead of the big DEs that are prevalent today; their programs don't even have any way to set options other than editing a header file before compiling. So the other part of the blame goes to you, for using a program that's not really meant for Ubuntu - the suckless tools are meant to be their own environment that's more minimalistic than than any flavour of Ubuntu.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    The Terminal=true line is explicitly requesting this behavior. Does the launcher not work if you instead set Terminal=false or entirely remove the Terminal= line?
    Yes, setting Terminal to "false" appears to work. However, when st is launched, it appears as a separate icon on the dock from the pinned shortcut I created. Is there any way to avoid having 2+ icons appears for st?

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    This is partially on the developers of st for not including a .desktop file - but then none of the suckless tools do, the developers believe in using a really minimal environment instead of the big DEs that are prevalent today; their programs don't even have any way to set options other than editing a header file before compiling. So the other part of the blame goes to you, for using a program that's not really meant for Ubuntu - the suckless tools are meant to be their own environment that's more minimalistic than than any flavour of Ubuntu.
    This really has nothing to do with suckless or DEs, because I could be asking to create a custom launcher for any application. Why hasn't Gnome implemented a simple launcher/dock app creator to help befuddled users like me? Surely I'm not alone ...

Beans

Why hasn't Gnome implemented a simple launcher/dock app creator to help befuddled users like me? Surely I'm not alone ...
    They have. It's called 'alacarte'. Since I use Xubuntu I don't know whether it's part of the Ubuntu default install, but it is in the repositories.

Holger

Beans

Is there any way to avoid having 2+ icons appears for st?
    I've seen that with a few applications. No guarantees, but try adding the following line to the st.desktop file:
    StartupWMClass=st

Why hasn't Gnome implemented a simple launcher/dock app creator?
    There is a utility to make .desktop files called Desktop Files Creator (not made by the Gnome Project). See screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I've seen that with a few applications. No guarantees, but try adding the following line to the st.desktop file:
    StartupWMClass=st
    Unfortunately does not work and I still get multiple dock tiles, nor does the icon I have set (Icon=xterm).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Try this? -
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=st
    Icon=xterm
    Exec=/usr/local/bin/st
    StartupNotify=true
    StartupWMClass=st-256color
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you, halogen! That works great, I just had to adjust:

Icon=utilities-terminal

Great suggestions all around.