Thread: What kind of operating system is more secure ,Xubuntu or Ubuntu Pro?

Beans

What kind of operating system is more secure ,Xubuntu or Ubuntu Pro?

Please,answer my question:
    What kind of operating system is more secure for me,Xubuntu or Ubuntu with Pro
    subscription,if I am going to use only Mozilla Firefox,Tor Browser and Skype, and if I Am
    going to use only snap versions of this applications, and if every time after I log in into the
    operating system,I open the terminal and execute the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo snap refresh
    ?
    Last edited by alex357; June 9th, 2024 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What kind of operating system is more secure ,Xubuntu or Ubuntu Pro?

You'll have to be more specific for a meaningful answer: secure again what?

Security generally depends less on the software used and more on the user's attention, skill and ability to detect malicious activity.

Installing updates often is a good idea, but that alone will not defend again all vulnerabilities and risk, and certainly won't provide "security".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Pro is not a computer operating system. It is a contract to provided an extension of maintenance support for the Ubuntu operating system. Read all about it.

https://ubuntu.com/pro

Anyone can use Ubuntu Pro for free on up to 5 machines
    Ubuntu Long Term Support (LTS) versions are supported with security fixes for 5 years. With a Ubuntu Pro subscription a Ubuntu LTS version will get security support for an extra 5 years (10 years in total). I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Support expires at the end of April 2025. I have obtained a free Ubuntu Pro subscription. And now my Ubuntu 20.04 install is supported until April 2030.

Ubuntu and the flavours built on Ubuntu, such as Xubuntu are as secure as an operating system can be for as long as that version is supported by the Ubuntu developers. The flavours, such as Xubuntu have a shorter support life. Xubuntu 20.04 was supported up to April 2023. This is why we are able to do an online upgrade from one version to the next. So, that we are always using a supported version.

Users of LTS versions can online upgrade from one LTS to the next LTS version. So, users of Xubuntu 20.04 LTS would by now have upgraded to Xubuntu 22.04 LTS and be planning to upgrade to Xubuntu 24.04 LTS.

Users do not choose a flavour of Ubuntu because it is more secure than Ubuntu but because they like its User Interface and it may be more suitable for their computer.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Does it mean that Ubuntu with out Pro subscription and any flavour of Ubuntu is as secure as Ubuntu with Pro
    subscription?

Beans

Yes and no ...

One feature of 'pro' are additional fixes for programs in the 'Universe' part of the repositories. On my system I could get additional updates for Image Magick, vlc and a few other packages if I had a pro subscription. So if you use any programs from 'Universe' a pro subscription might make sense. The programs you mentioned as your use for the system are not part of Universe; Firefox and Skype are snaps and Tor Browser should be taken directly from the developers.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does it mean that Ubuntu with out Pro subscription and any flavour of Ubuntu is as secure as Ubuntu with Pro subscription?
    Ubuntu and official flavours of Ubuntu are secure as long as they are in life support. This will explain the Ubuntu release cycle and the length of life support.

https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

Because Ubuntu is Free and Open Source Software (F.O.S.S.) it is possible for a single developer or a group of developers to build their own Linux distribution using Ubuntu as the code base. This does not make these distributions Flavours of Ubuntu. Certain official conditions have to be met before the organisation that sponsors Ubuntu grants recognition as a Ubuntu Flavour. The support life of these derivatives and how often the distribution is upgraded is a matter for those particular developers.

Check out the latest Ubuntu Weekly News letter. It lists the recent security updates as being applied to which version of Ubuntu that are still in life support. This is separate from having a Ubuntu Pro subscription which exten ds the security life for some Ubuntu LTS releases that have reached end of life support.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2498362

Ubuntu or a flavour of Ubuntu that is out of life support is definitely not as secure as Ubuntu or a flavour in life support. The Ubuntu Pro subscription gives Extended Security Maintenance (ESM) to Ubuntu LTS versions that are about to reach end of life.

Ubuntu LTS with a Ubuntu Pro subscription is as secure as a Ubuntu LTS that is still in life support.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Is LTS version of any Ubuntu flavour,which is still in life support,as secure as a Ubuntu LTS
    that is still in life support?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by alex357 View Post
    Is LTS version of any Ubuntu flavour,which is still in life support,as secure as a Ubuntu LTS
    that is still in life support?
    Yes, it is.
    Just remember that Ubuntu has 5 years of support but most of the other DE flavours (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu-Mate, etc etc) have only 3 years support.

Many users, including me, use one of those other DE versions simply because I like the DE (Xubuntu in my case) and I find the default Ubuntu DE (Gnome) does not suit my working systems. Xubuntu is, however, just as secure as I move from one LTS to the next LTS every two years.