Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: external drive not mounting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

external drive not mounting

I have a Seagate external storage device which usually mounts with no trouble . I decided to install Ubuntu 24.04 and tried to use it but it could not mount.
    I found the the 24.04 so full of bugs that I reinstalled Ubuntu 22.04
    I think the 24.04 must have done something to the Seagate.
    I now get an error message saying 'unknown' error.

PS: Title should read 'External storage device not mounting'
    Last edited by angel mike; June 9th, 2024 at 01:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: external drive not mounting

Is external drive gpt partitioned?
    post this in code tags.
    sudo parted -l
    lsblk -f
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

It isn't clear what you are doing but I'm guessing you installed 24.04 on a different drive and attempted to mount some filesystem on a partition on the external drive you refer to, is that correct? It would be useful to indicate what filesystem type is on the partition(s) on the external drive you failed to mount. Did you attempt to mount from a terminal and if so, what command specifically did you use? Posting the output of the commands suggested in post 2 would be a first step in getting help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the quick response.
    First to Oldfred
    Code:
    [                         sudo parted -l
     [sudo] password for mgstevens:  
     Model: Micron 2300 NVMe 512GB (nvme)
     Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
     Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
     Partition Table: gpt
     Disk Flags:  

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
      1      1049kB  1128MB  1127MB  fat32              boot, esp
      2      1128MB  512GB   511GB   ext4
    Code:
    lsblk -f  
     NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS

nvme0n1
     │                                                                            
     ├─nvme0n1p1
     │    vfat   FAT32       E97D-4A24                                 1G     1% /boot/efi
     └─nvme0n1p2
          ext4   1.0         209592ba-0b6b-4935-925d-65cecb8b8ae6  432.3G     2% /
     mgstevens@mgstevens-XPS-13-9310:~$ ]
    Last edited by oldfred; June 9th, 2024 at 10:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Yancek - All I did was to download the iso of 24.04 from the official site and make a bootable usb using the disk creator. I then changed the boot order to load the usb and the program installed with no problems.
    It worked ok until I decided to try and mount the seagate storage - it would not mount. I then read a few reviews some said they had the same problem. At that point I decided to reinstall version 22.04 from a usb that I have used before. It was then I found that I could not mount the seagate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am now finding on my laptop that Firefox is not loading after using it a few times so I have to restart the laptop. It also occasionally flickers -never done that before ! Have I picked up a bug/virus ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please use Code Tags when posting terminal output. And loops devices are snap apps, so not real devices.
    Code Tags
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2497846

You show install on NVMe drive, but then no sda or external drive?
    Was it plugged in when you ran commands?

Should have had you run this as it excludes snaps/loop, which I removed when I added code tags to your post.
    lsblk -e 7 -o name,fstype,size,fsused,label,UUID,mountpoint
    Last edited by oldfred; June 9th, 2024 at 10:31 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry about that Oldfred - yes forgot to plug in the seegstate. Here is the correct version I hope thanks.

Code:
    $ lsblk -f 
    NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
    loop0
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/bare/5
    loop1
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/core20/1405
    loop2
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/core20/2318
    loop3
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/firefox/1232
    loop4
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/gnome-3-38-2004/143
    loop5
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/gnome-3-38-2004/99
    loop6
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1535
    loop7
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1534
    loop8
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/snap-store/575
    loop9
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/snapd-desktop-integration/10
    loop10
         squash 4.0                                                    0   100% /snap/snapd/21759
    sda                                                                         
    └─sda1
         ntfs         Seagate Backup Plus Drive
                            EAF65B44F65B1065                                    
    nvme0n1
    │                                                                           
    ├─nvme0n1p1
    │    vfat   FAT32       E97D-4A24                                 1G     1% /boot/efi
    └─nvme0n1p2
         ext4   1.0         209592ba-0b6b-4935-925d-65cecb8b8ae6  432.2G     2% /
    mgstevens@mgstevens-XPS-13-9310:~$ 

$ sudo parted -l
     [sudo] password for mgstevens:  
     Model: Seagate BUP Slim BK (scsi)
     Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
     Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
     Partition Table: msdos
     Disk Flags:  

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
      1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  primary  ntfs         boot

Model: Micron 2300 NVMe 512GB (nvme)
     Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
     Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
     Partition Table: gpt
     Disk Flags:  

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
      1      1049kB  1128MB  1127MB  fat32              boot, esp
      2      1128MB  512GB   511GB   ext4

Beans

Appears to be NTFS formatted. I suggest you plug the device into a Windows system (NTFS is proprietary and only Microsoft truly knows how it works) and run a full chkdsk to make sure it is complete and consistent. You can then use the safe remove feature in the OS to flush the disk cache (wait for Windows to tell you to ununplug it) then unplug. You can then reconnect it to the Ubuntu system and test

Beans

With a problem such as you were having, posting the filesystem type is basic information you should post initially. You were asked this in post 3! Since your other drive has only EFI and Linux partitions, why do you have a drive with a partition with a windows filesystem? Are you sharing this drive with other computers using windows? If that is the case, it may be a hibernation problem but could be any number of problems with the ntfs filesystem. If you are going to continue to use a windows filesystem on a drive, you need to be aware of this.

As pointed out above, you will need to use windows to run chkdsk or other software to fix the problems on the proprietary filesystem.
    Last edited by yancek; June 10th, 2024 at 01:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast