Thread: Is 4K Monitor Worth It for Ubuntu Desktop?

Beans

Is 4K Monitor Worth It for Ubuntu Desktop?

Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my desktop with monitor, and I'm particularly interested in moving to a 4K monitor for my Ubuntu desktop. However, before making the investment, I'd like to get some insights from those who have experience using 4K monitors with Ubuntu. I'd really appreciate hearing about your experiences and any advice you might have. Your insights will be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is 4K Monitor Worth It for Ubuntu Desktop?

That question crosses my mind from time to time as I get by with a smaller display.
    But I have learned to automate desktop workflow and switch between windows.
    Depends on your applications. CAD or similar I can understand.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have several Dell 43" Ultrasharp 4K monitors which I use with Ubuntu daily. 60 Hz over HDMI so everything is smooth and crisp.

I am however considering switching them out for OLED panels, once you use them it's really hard to go back to traditional screens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I too prefer OLED Monitors, a very noticeable difference is seen.
    But some info to digest beforehand:

Since many models use the same OLED panel as their competitors, choosing one monitor over another can come down to features and price. However, there are some differences in performance, particularly with their input lag. However, there are downsides to using an OLED, as they're prone to burn-in when exposed to the same static elements over time. Because of the risk of burn-in, it's best to avoid these if you need something for work.

Although it's not one of the primary goals of this test, we're hoping to better understand how newer OLED panels compare to the older generation of OLEDs. It's generally accepted that burn-in isn't as much of an issue as it used to be, but it's unclear just how much better the newer OLED TVs are. With new panels, new heatsinks, and even brand-new panel types like QD-OLED, there are a lot of unknowns.
    Source: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/longevity-test

I've tested MSI 27" QD-OLED and fell in love with it. (Sadly it's priced way out of my comfort zone)

Specifications
    Screen size: 27-inch
    Panel type: QD-OLED
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Response time: 0.03 ms
    Refresh rate: 360 Hz
    Weight: 18.29 lbs (8.3 kg)
    Refresh rate technology: AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD