Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Re-Access my Ubuntu 18.04 Installation

Beans

Help Me Re-Access my Ubuntu 18.04 Installation

First of all I want to say thank you and I'm so grateful for the wonderful resource this forum provides. I have used it so many times in my life but this is my first post. Grateful.

2 Years ago, I tried to upgrade windows on my dual boot Windows\ubuntu 18.04 studio laptop. I stupidly deleted the wrong partition and realized then stopped. I am only concerned with accessing UBUNTU at this point.

Life got really busy, I want to fix what I broke. This is what I have done so far. I used DMDE to restore the partitions since I didn't overwrite anything. Still wouldn't detect the OS, so I booted to a live environment again and installed boot-repair. It ran without error and still wouldn't detect the OS on reboot. I am now unsure what I need to do and I'm sure theres a lot of people here smarter than me when it comes to Linux (obviously)

Please Help,

Crispy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deadflowr; June 5th, 2024 at 06:36 PM. Reason: removed large images created by forum glitch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: Help Me Re-Access my Ubuntu 18.04 Installation

Well, looking at your screenshots (although difficult to interpret), you seem to have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 - is this correct?
    If so, then both systems are end of life.
    First priority is to ensure that you have personal data backups from both systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You have a two years old drive partitioned MBR instead of more modern GPT.

I can advise what I would do.

I would regard your drive as an archive holding data you want to recover.

I would purchase a second drive or SSD, and swap the drive you have installed. Then use LiveUSB (perhaps prepared on another PC using Rufus (Windows) or MkUSB (Ubuntu) to install Ubuntu on modern SSD formatted GPT / UEFI instead of your older dated MBR.

Then you have your old drive which I would place into a drive container through USB port and your task is then to extract data from your external drive into your spanking new Ubuntu 22.04 or 24.04.

When you recover old data you can recycle/partition the spare drive to use as backup drive.

Beans

Tea - You are correct. I really want to access the ubuntu installation on that drive. I agree I will replace them.
    Last edited by crispysonofa; June 4th, 2024 at 09:07 PM.

Beans

DragonFly41- You are not wrong. I have a 2TB external hard drive that I can back up to, but my goal is to re access this installation first. I mainly want to access the chrome with the tabs that I had open when I last shut it own (I know its probably a long shot) I agree I will reformat and get newer OS installed on it!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that you do not have data backups?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

but my goal is to re access this installation first. I mainly want to access the chrome with the tabs that I had open when I last shut it own (I know its probably a long shot
    That indeed is a long boundary shot .. two years back?

My thought would be to use LiveUSB to at least be able to view the old drive from "Try Ubuntu" mode. Now the problem is that usually LiveUSB are not persistent so if apps are installed you lose them when you shut down. Spend time in researching/building a persistent LiveUSB where you can install added apps for drive analysis.

Now you can "try Ubuntu" and then install persistent copy of Recoll (indexing engine which I recommend since I use it daily). Then you can apply Recoll to index your mounted old drive, perhaps leaving it running overnight for 2TB. Now you can view chrome cache to see what tabs were last open and history. At least that is the theory. Recoll is a very powerful indexing tool. But if you are indexing 2TB the size of the index file will be large so your persistent LiveUSB needs to be rather larger than the usual flash drive. Perhaps another external SSD. But you can restrict Recoll indexing to the locations of your browser cache files and session files making the index smaller.

Of course this is not the same as getting your old Ubuntu up and running again.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; June 4th, 2024 at 10:45 PM.

Beans

There is no way to do what I am asking to do? All the suggestions are appreciated. I have the data backed up, but I I just want to repair the current 18.04 installation so that I can boot into this OS that is installed on the system. I can view and mount the 230GB volume that it's on from USB stick ubuntu, I can see all the files. I just can't get the computer to realize that there is an OS installed on this machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

First screenshot: boot device not found etc. Was this before or after running the boot repair?

It would be very helpful if you run the boot repair again but this time choose to create a summary report and upload to the pastebin.

Post the link back here.

Do agree, however, that it is probably time to move on.

Beans

I included the paste-bin picture. I can type out the link, This was after the boot repair that it still doesn't detect a boot device. I appreciate you replying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast