Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion For ALARM CLOCK?

Beans

Suggestion For ALARM CLOCK?

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alarm clock for linux? Everything I have found is only for daily/weekly alarms. I need something that will sound an alarm at a specific time on a specific day. I have tried searching and I am tired of looking. I'm hoping someone will know JUST what I need. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Suggestion For ALARM CLOCK?

This one looks actively maintained and feature-full: https://alarm-clock-applet.github.io/#features

Looks like it's in apt to install directly for you to try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    This one looks actively maintained and feature-full: https://alarm-clock-applet.github.io/#features

Looks like it's in apt to install directly for you to try.
    I swear I replied to this... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That was one of the ones that I had tried. Unless I am missing it, I only see a way to set daily/weekly alarms. I need something that will allow me to set an alarm for a specific time on a specific date.

I appreciate it, though.

Beans

Note that if your computer suspends, the alarm won’t work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Curiosity. I was able to knock together a prototype using Actiona UI emulator drawing on this information to drive sound/screen flashing in Settings.

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...lalert.html.en

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Note that if your computer suspends, the alarm won’t work.
    Oh, yeah... I know. This computer that I want to run this on stays up 24/7.

Beans

Might the old 'at' command line tool be helpful ? It expects a command on standard input and executes that command at the time (and date) given on the command line, e.g.
    Code:
    echo "notify-send 'Hello'"|at now + 1 minute
    will show a notification after 1 minute. You can basically run anything using 'at' but you may have to pass in a DISPLAY variable if you're running a graphical program, e.g.
    Code:
    echo DISPLAY=:0.0 xlogo | at 13:00 02.06.2025
    will run the old xlogo at 1 pm next year on June 2nd.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Might the old 'at' command line tool be helpful ? It expects a command on standard input and executes that command at the time (and date) given on the command line, e.g.
    It's clunky, but... I like clunky Yeah, I think I can make that work. I tried it by passing 'vlc alarm.mp3' to it and it seemed to work great. I'm still going to keep looking for a GUI but this is awesome. I really appreciate it!

btw - I like that the "at" command will take "teatime" as a variable
    Last edited by rebeltaz; June 1st, 2024 at 11:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Code:
    echo "notify-send 'Hello'"|at now + 1 minute
    will show a notification after 1 minute. You can basically run anything using 'at' but you may have to pass in a DISPLAY variable if you're running a graphical program, e.g.
    Code:
    echo DISPLAY=:0.0 xlogo | at 13:00 02.06.2025
    will run the old xlogo at 1 pm next year on June 2nd.

Holger
    CRAP! I didn't notice that linux is apparently British! I didn't put the numeric date (02.06.2025) with what you said (June 2nd). I'm glad I caught that before I missed my event!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    CRAP! I didn't notice that linux is apparently British! I didn't put the numeric date (02.06.2025) with what you said (June 2nd). I'm glad I caught that before I missed my event!
    I really hope that's a joke with seriously deadpan delivery. In case it isn't: 'at' takes 'a date of the form MMDD[CC]YY, MM/DD/[CC]YY, DD.MM.[CC]YY or [CC]YY-MM-DD' (from 'man at'). So it's the separator characters which at uses as a hint towards the format of the date (no separators or slashes -> American format; periods -> European format; dashes -> ISO).

Holger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast