Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 24.04: snap-thunderbird does not work with files on extenal partition! Fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Unity 24.04 Noble Numbat

Ubuntu 24.04: snap-thunderbird does not work with files on extenal partition! Fix?

Hi,
    I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 23.10 to 24.04. Everything works fine, except thunderbird. Befrore 24.04, thunderbird worked fine decades-long installed as default Ubuntu deb-package. Now it is a snap-thunderbird which, I was told, could not load my personal files that reside on an external ext4-partion on the same drive, because snap cannot do that:

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB

Number Start End Size File system Name
    9 434GB 487GB 53.2GB ext4 Ubu2404
    10 487GB 496GB 8655MB ext4 ext4Free
    11 496GB 512GB 16.1GB ext4 UbuTbird

Ubuntu 24.04 runs on partition 9 (Ubu2404), thunderbird gets my profile data from partition 11 (UbuTbird), that is it got it, but not any more. Whenever I try to create my personal thunderbird profile anew with
    Code:
    $ thunderbird -p
    I get error messages such as
    Code:
    Profile couldn’t be created. Probably the chosen folder isn’t writable.
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIToolkitProfileService.createProfile]"  nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://mozapps/content/profile/createProfileWizard.js :: onFinish :: line 236"  data: no]
    I was told that, contrary to the old deb-thunderbird, the new snap thunderbird in Ubuntu 24.04 cannot access data on an external partition outside of snap.

How can I, please, tell the snap thunderbird "do get my personal mail files from the external partition UbuTbird"?

Thanks, siggi2

P.S. Currently I make do with deb thunderbird according to https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php...eb-ubuntu-2404, but I dearly would prefer the default snp-thunderbird

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 24.04: snap-thunderbird does not work with files on extenal partition! Fix

What does the output of the following show?

Code:
    snap connections thunderbird
    If it shows something like the following in the output:

Code:
    removable-media         thunderbird:removable-media         -         -
    then try this command:

Code:
    snap connect thunderbird:removable-media
    It should then show:

Code:
    removable-media         thunderbird:removable-media         :removable-media         -
    I don't have Thunderbird snap installed to try, but this may solve it.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu 24.04: snap-thunderbird does not work with files on extenal partition! Fix

Quote Originally Posted by philhughes View Post
    What does the output of the following show?

Code:
    snap connections thunderbird
    If it shows something like the following in the output:

Code:
    removable-media         thunderbird:removable-media         -         -
    Yes, it did!

then try this command:

Code:
    It should then show:

Code:
    removable-media         thunderbird:removable-media         :removable-media         -

Yes, after repeating "snap connections thunderbird", it performed exactly like that!

However, after having created my thunderbird profile starting with
    Code:
    $ thunderbird -p
    and start thunderbird, a small red message box with red text occurs, see attachment Screenshot20240530165037.png. I close this message boxt and can read the error messages on my terminal window:
    Code:
    ~$ thunderbird -p
    Gtk-Message: 16:53:54.522: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.
    [GFX1-]: glxtest: libpci missing
    JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.sys.mjs, line 60: Error: Can't find profile directory.
    JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.sys.mjs, line 60: Error: Can't find profile directory.
    console.error: (new UnknownError("IndexedDB: thunderbird/url-classifier-skip-urls getLastModified() IndexedDB:   The operation failed for reasons unrelated to the database itself and not covered by any other error code.", "resource://services-settings/IDBHelpers.jsm", 18))
    JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.sys.mjs, line 724: Error: Phase "xpcom-will-shutdown" is finished, it is too late to register completion condition "UserInteractionTimer 1 for document 741c9b5b9e00"
    Gtk-Message: 16:54:18.647: Not loading module "atk-bridge": The functionality is provided by GTK natively. Please try to not load it.
    [ImapModuleLoader] Using nsImapService.cpp
    [GFX1-]: glxtest: libpci missing
    console.error: (new TypeError("window.gTabmail is undefined", "chrome://messenger/content/parent/ext-mail.js", 766))
    ~$
    It seems to be general problem outside of thunderbird? Somewhere I read snap cannot access external partitions and one has to bind them somehow so that snap can access them?

Might this be the problem here?

EDIT: The above code line
    Code:
    "Yes, after repeating "snap connections thunderbird", it performed exactly like that!"

should read for completeness:
    Code:
    removable-media         thunderbird:removable-media           :removable-media                manual
    "manual" at the end of the line was missing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by siggi2; May 30th, 2024 at 04:41 PM.

Beans

Sorry about the missing "manual".

The "snap connect" command is what allows the snap to access external partitions.

When I run "thunderbird -p" on my Ubuntu 23.10 .deb installation, I also see these errors:

Code:
    console.error: (new UnknownError("IndexedDB: thunderbird/url-classifier-skip-urls getLastModified() IndexedDB:   The operation failed for reasons unrelated to the database itself and not covered by any other error code.", "resource://services-settings/IDBHelpers.jsm", 18))
    so I don't think these are the source of the problem. It appears that you have a missing library (libpci).

After starting Thunderbird with -p , you should see the window in the attached screenshot.

If you are feeling brave, you could try installing this if it is not already installed:

Code:
    sudo apt install libpci3
    This link provides a bit of information on Firefox, which shares code with Thunderbird:

https://github.com/mozilla/geckodriver/issues/1877

Otherwise, I'd report a bug.

Edit: forgot to attach screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philhughes; May 31st, 2024 at 09:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you philhughes for your efforts
    ...It appears that you have a missing library (libpci)...
    No I did not. And after I had lost my thunderbird profile files for three accounts while trying to "bind" to within snap(luckily could recover a slightly older version fo my personal folder) and after a lot of turmoil with "snapping" I quit and returned to deb-thunderbird.
    Thank you again anyway,
    siggi

Beans

siggi2, thank you for reporting this issue. That helps me a lot, becuase I had the exactly same issue. Here is the workaround that I use after I found the following thread mentioned about /mnt.
    how do I ensure that I install a NON-Snap version of an application (Thunderbird)

1. Run the command suggested by philhughes
    Code:
    2. Mount my Thunderbird profile directory under /mnt

Hope this can solve your issue too.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you even more, evereasy!

Your solution seems to work great A few comments and questions will follow some time later.

Take care, siggi

Beans
    Distro

This
    "$ snap connect thunderbird:removable-media"
    will I have to input it after each update or upgrade?
    Otherwise there is not much to say, I am just happy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Once any connection is set it's set forever.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, deadflowr!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast