Thread: 24.04 won't use primary monitor after locking

Beans

24.04 won't use primary monitor after locking

I'm running X11.

Setup:
    • One primary monitor in Landscape, two monitors in portrait, one on either side.
    • Ubuntu 24.04
    • NVidia 3090 using nvidia-driver-535

Repro Steps:

1. Lock the screen with Special+L
    2. Wait until the monitors go to sleep
    3. Press a button to log back in

Expected:
    • The login prompt appears on my primary monitor, and I can resume using my session

Actual
    • My primary monitor doesn't turn back on. The login appears on one of my side monitors which has reverted to landscape mode.

Things that I've tried:
    • Suspending instead of just locking results in everything coming back as it should.
    • Removing one of the two side monitors results in everything coming back as it should.
    • Unplugging one of the two side monitors results in everything coming back as it should.
    • If, after I have seen the blank screen on the primary monitor, I unplug one of my monitors and then plug it back in, it will start to work again. However, this will crash X.org after the second or third time I do it, which is less than ideal.

Beans

Re: 24.04 won't use primary monitor after locking

I posted an answer to this on askubuntu, but I am not currently using NVIDIA drivers, just a stock standard 24.04 install.

I had the same issue with a fresh install of 24.04. I followed the answer from https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-suspend-sleep and it worked great.

The steps are:

Edit GRUB sudo nano /etc/default/grub

change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.modeset=0"

Save changes (Ctrl+X)

Update GRUB with sudo update-grub

Reboot and you're good to go.