Thread: where to put / store iptables-ks.sh

Beans

where to put / store iptables-ks.sh

Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (fresh install) and added my PrivateVPN account in open VPN. The VPN works fine.

Now I'm trying to add a Kill switch to it, and the guys from PrivateVPN send me a modified iptables-ks.sh file.
    They asked me to "use" it. (it is on my desktop now ).

( Next thing I have to do is to run: # chmod +x iptables-ks.sh # ./iptables-ks.sh in the terminal )

Can someone point me out what to do exactly with this file? Do I need to replace an 'old' iptables-ks.sh for the modified one, or
    just store it in a folder? (which one?)

It goes far beyond my knowledge atm.
    Last edited by heian; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: where to put / store iptables-ks.sh

PrivateVPN has provided you with specific instructions for a script they created. Only they know what "use it" means or where it should be placed. iptables-ks.sh is just a name for a file they made up. I've never seen it before and it certainly isn't "standard" for openvpn installs.

Typically, system-wide stuff like a VPN configuration and tools for it would be placed somewhere under /etc/. Of course, the package manager version of openvpn would install the programs, libraries, and kernel module(s) where those belong in the overall Linux hierarchy.

I keep my openvpn stuff in /etc/openvpn/, but that is certs and configs, not scripts. For a script that does what I can only guess the provided script does, I'd place it in /usr/local/sbin/ .... or I'd find a way to have it start and stop using the openvpn start/stop scripts provided from the VPN vendor. My openvpn start and stop scripts are non-trivial and customized for my needs, so they wouldn't be too useful to anyone else. I've been running my own servers for about 15 yrs. Before doing it at home, I deployed enterprise VPN systems for a few companies - we didn't use openvpn and had hardware tokens required for logins. Plus, I stopped using openvpn at home a few years ago, choosing wireguard instead. Much easier to setup and much faster throughput.

Sorry, I suspect all of this isn't much help and your eyes may have glazed over. I figured some response was better than none. Perhaps not. In short, get more support from the VPN provider.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by heian View Post
    Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (fresh install) and added my PrivateVPN account in open VPN. The VPN works fine.

Now I'm trying to add a Kill switch to it, and the guys from PrivateVPN send me a modified iptables-ks.sh file.
    They asked me to "use" it. (it is on my desktop now ).

( Next thing I have to do is to run: # chmod +x iptables-ks.sh # ./iptables-ks.sh in the terminal )

Can someone point me out what to do exactly with this file? Do I need to replace an 'old' iptables-ks.sh for the modified one, or
    just store it in a folder? (which one?)

It goes far beyond my knowledge atm.
    Executing random scripts, especially ones you are not even capable of understanding, is a very bad idea which ultimately increases the risk of your data being compromised.

I would ask "the guys" from PrivateVPN for instructions, or better yet, not trust a random "guy" on the Internet, especially not with scripts and my Internet traffic.

If you're looking for privacy, use Tor Browser.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Supplied by your Vendor?

First, since they say that was a changed/modified/amended script for them... After making it executible, I would do
    Code:
    find / -name iptables-ks.sh 2>/dev/null
    To see where they had it installed to, then move the new script there to overwrite the old one.

If it is a new script to be used for all users on the system (not just you), then the logical place to put it in either /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/sbin.

If it is just for you and your use (say a family shared computer, and you just use that for work-at-home), then the logical place to put that would be in ~/.local/bin...

Either way, what they need it to do it to execute from a system call or user commandline. For that to happen without a full path given, it needs to be in the search path. To check for how that is set up on your computer for Vendor and user scripts, do this:
    Code:
    printenv | grep -e '^PATH' | grep 'local'
    Here is an example on my laptop:
    Code:
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ printenv | grep -e '^PATH' | grep 'local'
    PATH=/usr/local/cuda-12.0/bin:/home/mafoelffen/Scripts:/home/mafoelffen/.local/bin:/home/mafoelffen/Scripts:/home/mafoelffen/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:/usr/local/go/bin
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:41 PM. Reason: Add what the hightlighting will be...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MAFoElffen, Or he could just echo $PATH to see the value. K.I.S.S. I know, seem odd coming from me. I'm trying to be simple, when that is possible and still accurate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    ... To see where they had it installed to, then move the new script there to overwrite the old one...
    I would suggest to make a copy of the old script first, just in case you want to undo changes later.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.