Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bootable USB for Windows 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bootable USB for Windows 10

Trying to make a bootable USB for Windows 10, The WoeUSB method gave the 'Install' option as greyed out. Can anyone suggest a reason or better method.
    Just looking at Wine to use for the Garmin Express to update my maps. This is the only reason for using Windows. Found what might be a useful link https://christitus.com/garmin-express-linux/
    Last edited by angel mike; May 22nd, 2024 at 10:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bootable USB for Windows 10

i have the same setup for Garmin Express Win 10 In Boxes.

go to the Win 10 ISO and Right click the ISO.
    on that menu choose "open with"

then click on "Disk Image Writer"

then follow the instructions and you will be able to make a bootable USB of Win 10.

###

in boxes you can just use the Win 10 ISO to install Windows and then use Windows via Gnome Boxes ..

as stated i have this setup for Garmin Express ..
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks gezzer2 will give that a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I still cannot get WoeUsb to work. When I load the Woeusb application it shows the USB target file but the source button does not work If I go to the iso file I can eventually get it into the box but the 'instal' button is greyed out.

If I try 'gezzer2' method then l -then I right click on the iso the menu shows 'open with Disk Image Mounter' so I choose open with other which gave a menu list containing 'Image disc writer' which I chose. But it asked for a destination which did only included the USB name not Woeusb - I copied the iso file to the USB but could not boot with it. The Woe panel was not used.

Beans

I've never used WoeUSB but were the instructions you originally used similar to those described at the link below?

https://itsfoss.com/install-woeusb-ubuntu/

I generally just mount the windows iso to a directory mount point in Linux, then copy the contents to the mounted USB drive which has never failed to boot.

Beans

Install the wimtools package, and use the wimsplit program to break up the big .wim file from the ISO. Then just copy all the ISO files, replacing the big one with the two you split up .swm to a FAT formatted USB.
    Last edited by ubfan1; May 24th, 2024 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes tried the foss method and a similar one. Thanks for all the contributions - will have another go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

'I generally just mount the windows iso to a directory mount point in Linux,' How do you do that Yancek ? ie how do you find or create a directory mount point?
    Last edited by angel mike; May 26th, 2024 at 02:12 PM.

Beans

You can use any empty directory or create one. When using Linux, if you have downloaded some windows iso file, it should be in your user Downloads directory so open a terminal and navigate to your user Downloads directory where the windows iso is. You can use the GUI to create a directory there as a mount point or do it from a terminal: sudo mkdir windows (you can name it something other than windows, just an example) In this example, if the windows iso file you have is named windows.iso you would do:

sudo mount -o loop windows.iso windows

This is done from the directory (Downloads?) in which the iso is. This will mount and make accessible all the files in the windows iso and you can then copy them from the mount point 'windows' in your Downloads folder to wherever your usb is mounted. You may need to do something as suggested in post 6 as it has been some years since I have bothered with any windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Yancek for those details. I formatted the usb with zeros using Disks. I assume your referring to ubfan1 and wimtools - not familiar with that - FAT format has a restriction on the file size which presumably suits the split files?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast