Thread: Can the list of available ethernet accounts be cleaned up?

Beans

Can the list of available ethernet accounts be cleaned up?

I'm running Ubuntu 20 Mate in an HP notebook.
    We have a few troubled neighbors who use their internet account titles to bully and gross-out the honorable meek elderly people living on this street. When we click the ethernet connect icon we see their vile messages every day in their distasteful wifi network names.
    Is there a way to edit that nauseating list, to erase the disgusting account titles we see whenever we click the connect/disconnect ethernet icon?
    Is there a way to configure that icon's tool bar to show only our own IP accounts listed?
    Last edited by QIII; May 23rd, 2024 at 04:17 AM. Reason: unnecessary information deleted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can the list of available ethernet accounts be cleaned up?

I am not familiar with the Mate desktop environment but I doubt very much that it offers a list of ethernet accounts. Perhaps you mean WiFi. Ethernet is a direct cable connection between the computer and the router/hub/modem. There will only be the one ethernet connection listed in System Settings and you will only see it if the computer is connected by an ethernet cable to a router/hub/modem that is switched on.

I do not think we can remove WiFi connections that are in the list of WiFi available connections within range. You should be able to set up a default WiFi connection to your WiFi router/hub/modem. Then the router/hub/modem will automatically connect to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) when it is switched on and the computer will automatically connect to the router/hub/modem as soon as the computer is switched on.

What you are seeing in that WiFi list are the WiFi router/hubs/modems of those neighbours that are annoying you so much.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

<<I think this would be better handled if move to the Networking Section>>

I'm not sure, btu I think it might be possible through wpa_supplicant...

In https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/wpa_...upplicant.conf and https://gist.github.com/penguinpower...e335c1a4c954b3.

wpa_supplicant.conf has a section for
    Code:
    excluded_ssid: Excluded SSID
    #    This optional field can be used to excluded specific SSID(s) from
    #    matching with the network. Multiple entries can be used to specify more
    #    than one SSID.
    But I think that option only covers whether it will connect or not...

I think what you rather want is for it to be excluded from being filtered... Like in this section
    Code:
    # filter_ssids - SSID-based scan result filtering
    # 0 = do not filter scan results (default)
    # 1 = only include configured SSIDs in scan results/BSS table
    #filter_ssids=0
    If you set that to "1" then it would only filter confgured SSIS's.

This example Doc (https://web.mit.edu/freebsd/head/con...upplicant.conf), near the bottom has examples of configured SSID connections...

I am not positive, but I think that would exclude SSIDs not configured from showing up in the list. I may be wrong about that, but... LOL

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It occurs to me that the reason your good neighbours have the the WiFi networks of your bad neighbours showing up is that at some point your good neighbours have tried to access those WiFi access points of your bad neighbours. Ubuntu remembers these access points and keeps the connection available.

In system settings>WiFi these WiFi networks will have a cog icon next to them. Click on the cog icon and then click forget connection. That should make things simpler.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ascendant2 View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 20 Mate in an HP notebook.
    We have a few troubled neighbors who use their internet account titles to bully and gross-out the honorable meek elderly people living on this street. When we click the ethernet connect icon we see their vile messages every day in their distasteful wifi network names.
    Is there a way to edit that nauseating list, to erase the disgusting account titles we see whenever we click the connect/disconnect ethernet icon?
    Is there a way to configure that icon's tool bar to show only our own IP accounts listed?
    This post is very confusing. When you click the Ethernet icon you see WiFi names? What on earth?

Are you talking about your neighbors WiFi access point names or something?

If so, why are you ever reading them? Once configured, WiFi should connect automatically without needing you to go into the settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is there a way to edit that.... list, to erase the.... account titles we see whenever we click the connect/disconnect ethernet icon?
    Yes, there is, by using a wired connection instead of a wireless connection.
    You probably don't want to be running Cat5 internet cable throughout your home, but there is a way to use your existing electrical wiring.

Here is a link to an article about Powerline adapters....https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...caAmkqEALw_wcB
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/