Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Linux Compatible Motherboard

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    1,175

    Linux Compatible Motherboard

    This motherboard seems perfect for my needs. Here is the problem. A reviewer in PC Parts Picker said that he had great difficulty installing Ethernet Drivers in Linux. Why would that be the case.


    MSI PRO B650M-P ProSeries Motherboard

    https://www.amazon.com/MSI-B650M-P-P...ct_top?ie=UTF8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Because the chips used for the ethernet suck or are much too new?
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-.../Specification says it uses Realtek® 8125BG 2.5G LAN

    Avoid Realtek NICs. There's a reason they are so cheap. There are a few different ways.

    a) Buy an Intel PCIe NIC, install and use that instead. Just disable the Realtek junk in the BIOS.

    b) Choose a motherboard with an Intel NIC instead. Usually the list of motherboards will be greatly reduced doing this and they cost about $20 more, which is less than a separate Intel PCIe NIC would cost and it won't use a slot.

    Watch out for bleeding edge hardware, in addition to hardware that doesn't work well with Linux. Of course, you are free to seek out the Linux drivers for that exact chip and hope that the hassles with it aren't too great. DMKS might be setup to automatically re-link the new driver or it might take 1-2 yrs before that happens. Every new kernel will need that. New kernels happen about 2-4 times every month.

    You have some choices.

    I decided that dealing with realtek wasn't worth the hassles and only buy motherboards with Intel NICs. When the 2.5Gbps Intel NIC was new, I specifically bought an older model motherboard that used an older Intel NIC that I 100% knew was well supported. Since all my networking devices are GigE, not 2.5Gbps, this wasn't a hard choice for me. If you don't have a router or switches that support 2.5Gbps, it may not be a hard choice for you either. If you don't plan to get faster network gear in the next 5 yrs, then I wouldn't worry about it and I'd get a motherboard with a different NIC chip that is well supported.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona U.S.A.
    Beans
    5,794

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    I'm using an MSI Pro B660M-G motherboard. This is an Intel board, while yours is AMD. Still, it has the same Realtek® RTL8125BG 2.5Gbps LAN controller. Completed this build in Jan 2023. With this board, I have not had any problems with the ethernet or anything else so I am satisfied.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    1,175

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Because the chips used for the ethernet suck or are much too new?
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-.../Specification says it uses Realtek® 8125BG 2.5G LAN

    Avoid Realtek NICs. There's a reason they are so cheap. There are a few different ways.

    a) Buy an Intel PCIe NIC, install and use that instead. Just disable the Realtek junk in the BIOS.

    b) Choose a motherboard with an Intel NIC instead. Usually the list of motherboards will be greatly reduced doing this and they cost about $20 more, which is less than a separate Intel PCIe NIC would cost and it won't use a slot.

    Watch out for bleeding edge hardware, in addition to hardware that doesn't work well with Linux. Of course, you are free to seek out the Linux drivers for that exact chip and hope that the hassles with it aren't too great. DMKS might be setup to automatically re-link the new driver or it might take 1-2 yrs before that happens. Every new kernel will need that. New kernels happen about 2-4 times every month.

    You have some choices.

    I decided that dealing with realtek wasn't worth the hassles and only buy motherboards with Intel NICs. When the 2.5Gbps Intel NIC was new, I specifically bought an older model motherboard that used an older Intel NIC that I 100% knew was well supported. Since all my networking devices are GigE, not 2.5Gbps, this wasn't a hard choice for me. If you don't have a router or switches that support 2.5Gbps, it may not be a hard choice for you either. If you don't plan to get faster network gear in the next 5 yrs, then I wouldn't worry about it and I'd get a motherboard with a different NIC chip that is well supported.
    Thanks so much for your informative reply. I don't want added complications in my life. I will search for a MB that has an Intel NIC. Since I will be using the Ryzen 8600G CPU, I want a MB that has display port. I read that HDMI does not support Linux.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    1,175

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    Thanks so much for your informative reply. I don't want added complications in my life. I will search for a MB that has an Intel NIC. Since I will be using the Ryzen 8600G CPU, I want a MB that has display port. I read that HDMI does not support Linux.

    Thanks so much for your informative reply. I don't want added complications in my life. I will search for a MB that has an Intel NIC. Since I will be using the Ryzen 8600G CPU, I want a MB that has display port. I read that HDMI does not support Linux.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona U.S.A.
    Beans
    5,794

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    I'm using an MSI Pro B660M-G motherboard. This is an Intel board, while yours is AMD. Still, it has the same Realtek® RTL8125BG 2.5Gbps LAN controller. Completed this build in Jan 2023. With this board, I have not had any problems with the ethernet or anything else so I am happy with it. I also have an older MSI B360M-VD built in 2018. No problems with that system either.

    (Duplicate post because the first version returned a server error - bad gateway)
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 22nd, 2024 at 03:06 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2024
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I read that HDMI does not support Linux.
    Really need to stop believing everything you read online. A shocking majority of it is wrong.

    HDMI works fine. Ethernet works fine. I've never needed to install a driver for either in over 15 years of Linux use.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    1,175

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    Really need to stop believing everything you read online. A shocking majority of it is wrong.

    HDMI works fine. Ethernet works fine. I've never needed to install a driver for either in over 15 years of Linux use.
    The problem is with HDMI 2.1.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    The problem is with HDMI 2.1.
    And resolutions over 1080p. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024...mi-2-1-driver/ You can thank the HDMI standards people for that limitation. The linux and GPU guys have tried. Even gaining access to the specifications requires huge payments and a legal team which AMD wasn't able to crack.

    Linux definitely supports HDMI, BTW. I use it today and have since around 2008.

    Of course, whether playback of DRM videos will work is really the only issue with HDMI and Linux that I know. The answer for that is simple. Stay at 1080p resolutions or get a streaming device with proprietary hardware and drivers to watch DRM-locked content. I don't have any 4K displays anywhere, so it hasn't been an issue on any of my devices. Further, we tend to watch movies on a 1080p projector which doesn't support any HDCP to my knowledge, so all of this is a non-issue. I do have a few 4K videos, Those all seem to play fine ... er ... at 1080p. Cannot really test any higher resolutions.

    Lots of Linux people have multiple 4K monitors and those work fine. They can be connected via DP or HDMI. It is only the DRM parts that create issues. Commercial content players, not day-to-day productivity programs, might have DRM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    1,175

    Re: Linux Compatible Motherboard

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    And resolutions over 1080p. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024...mi-2-1-driver/ You can thank the HDMI standards people for that limitation. The linux and GPU guys have tried. Even gaining access to the specifications requires huge payments and a legal team which AMD wasn't able to crack.

    Linux definitely supports HDMI, BTW. I use it today and have since around 2008.

    Of course, whether playback of DRM videos will work is really the only issue with HDMI and Linux that I know. The answer for that is simple. Stay at 1080p resolutions or get a streaming device with proprietary hardware and drivers to watch DRM-locked content. I don't have any 4K displays anywhere, so it hasn't been an issue on any of my devices. Further, we tend to watch movies on a 1080p projector which doesn't support any HDCP to my knowledge, so all of this is a non-issue. I do have a few 4K videos, Those all seem to play fine ... er ... at 1080p. Cannot really test any higher resolutions.

    Lots of Linux people have multiple 4K monitors and those work fine. They can be connected via DP or HDMI. It is only the DRM parts that create issues. Commercial content players, not day-to-day productivity programs, might have DRM.
    Thanks for clarifying the issue. As of now, I have not found an AMD 5 motherboard with Intel NICs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •