Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some issues with Ubuntu 24.04...I think?

Beans

Having some issues with Ubuntu 24.04...I think?

Hello!
    I'm brand new to Ubuntu and replaced Windows with an Ubuntu install.
    When I originally installed it -- a popup asked me if I'd like to connect to the internet for additional software and I selected "No" and I'm wondering if that's why I'm now having these issues.

I've been watching a lot of tutorials online and I noticed a lot of the guides aren't working for me -- for example someone recommended the GNOME tweaker so I followed the steps to download from the App Center. I had to manually change the filter from "Snap" to "deb" for it to even show up in the search results. When I installed it -- it just never showed up anywhere in my system ...no install package or anything. It also doesn't even show up in my list of Apps in the App Center. To find it in the App Center I have to research for the App and it gives me the option to "Uninstall"

Another issue is my download speeds are half of what they are on my other PC so I don't know how to speed it up or if I'm missing a WiFi card driver?

Sorry guys I'm a new born Linux baby and I'm a little lost --- help!!

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Having some issues with Ubuntu 24.04...I think?

You should be able to run "gnome-tweaks" from Terminal if it's installed. The "apt" command can be used to manage software installations as well, I recommend trying it out!

When you say download speeds are half, how are you measuring it or coming to that conclusion?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Best to ask 1 question per thread. the expertise for networking is different than the expertise for Gnome stuff. I haven't use Gnome in about 15 yrs, for example, so I know very little about Gnome.

When you search for online articles, be 100% certain
    a) they are from a reputable site
    b) they are for your exact release - not any different version. Things change, especially with GUI stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ubundtcake View Post
    When I originally installed it -- a popup asked me if I'd like to connect to the internet for additional software and I selected "No" and I'm wondering if that's why I'm now having these issues.
    Doubtful. That question is just if you want to run patching during the install process. I find it is best to get the install up and running, then after the first reboot, do my normal weekly patching on the system. That will get the same results, just the install won't be screwed if networking has any issues.

Further, this isn't intuitive, but the installer and that installation environment is created by a different team than the OS. Normally, it doesn't matter too much, but the one place I've seen it matter is with network drivers, especially wifi. Hard to believe this, but often the installer has better wifi drivers than the installed OS. I don't know why. Seems like that would be harder than keeping the drivers from the OS team. I still don't understand why there are differences, but I've seen them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ubundtcake View Post
    I've been watching a lot of tutorials online and I noticed a lot of the guides aren't working for me -- for example someone recommended the GNOME tweaker so I followed the steps to download from the App Center.
    There probably aren't many guides or tutorials for 24.04 online yet. See my first list. Be careful following help from random sites. There are a bunch of noobs in the Linux world who probably mean well and think they found a solution, but they don't have deep enough knowledge to realize it was just coincidence. My rule of thumb for finding websites with reputable answers are to only use those with "ubuntu" in the DNS part of the URL. help.ubuntu.com wiki.ubuntu.com askubuntu.com are all fine. JoesBlog.net ... not so great.

Beans

Thank you for such a thorough reply!
    I will definitely take your advice and keep it to a one question per post type deal -- probably much easier to get relevant answers.

I think I'm going to spend more time on the Ubuntu forums/website to educate myself a little more so I can formulate better questions. The PC I'm using has no data or anything of importance on it so I guess a few mistakes would be okay.
    I'm on day 3 since installing so I'm just super new

Beans

To answer your question:
    I used a speed test online to check the speed (Ookla) and the upload speed was normal but the download speed was actually waaay more than half what I get on my Windows computer connected to the same network. (Windows: 290mbps / Ubuntu: 20 mbps)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome to the forums

Wired or wireless connection?

Do you happen to know what network cards are installed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

As a start open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and run command
    Code:
    inxi -Fzx
    Please copy and paste all the output you see back here using code-tags.
    See my signature below for a how-to of code tags.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Wired or wireless connection?

Do you happen to know what network cards are installed?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS! The requested inxi -Fxz command output will tell us much about the system, hardware, how it is connected.
    Speed test results can fluctuate during the day, so it isn't the best way to test networking, but it is good you shared

a) the same computer with Windows is 200 Mbps. Ubuntu is 20 Mbps.

b) drivers for Linux are sometimes not as good as MS-Windows. That's because the vendors ensure their Windows drivers are as good as possible. For Linux, if they even bother, they make certain that the driver works at a minimal level. If you make good hardware choices, then the drivers for Linux have more features and are tuned to work well.

c) 24.04 is new. As part of your trouble shooting, after posting the requested command + output, you can try booting from the installation flash drive, going into Try Ubuntu mode and testing again. If the results are the same or 200 Mbps, that data would be helpful. Either way, it is worth looking at the network drivers used by both the Try Ubuntu mode and the installed drivers. If they are the same, then the same results are likely. If they are different, different results are likely and perhaps a better driver was automatically picked which can be used instead.

d) For many common issues related to performance or hardware, there are data gathering tools which should be run for the gurus to have data to make suggestions. After all, there are 100s of different network cards in the world, so nobody can help without knowing YOUR exact network card. See how that makes sense? With Linux, we often need to know the chip inside the device to make it work, not so much the brand and model. Some vendors, cough, realtek, cough, are known for keeping the same model name, but completely changing the chips inside. This makes it hard for anyone, especially the computer to guess which driver will work best.

Some good commands to gather data:
    • inxi -fxz
    • lshw
    • lspci
    • lsusb -t

And there are a few specialty scripts created by long-time people from these forums to aid in gathering all the useful information for more complex problems like wifi or sound or installation issues. These are named something like "wifi trouble shooting script" "audio data script" and the "boot-info". For the last one, there are a few good tools - that can gather information, but still need a guru to manually review. Boot-Repair (just run the tool, click the gather info button, never attempt a repair unless someone you trust specifically tells you to do that) and the system-info script. https://github.com/UbuntuForums/system-info

Many times, it is best to have these tools pre-installed on the system, before they are needed. Most are small.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the requested command. Or lshw -C network should provide less output, only related to the network question, but the inxi command will provide a clearer overview.

Beans

Hi thank you so much for such an extensive response!
    I forgot to mention I am connecting using WiFi

a) I ran the inxi -fxz command and then went back and rebooted from the installation software. There was no difference between the results except for the numbers next to the CPU cores -- and that difference was very small.

b) Lucky me... looks like I have a Realtek network card

Would you like me to post the command response using the inxi -Fzx command?
    [ Is there anything in there that I should be cautious posting publicly?]

Thank you!

Beans

Code:
    CPU:
      Info: quad core model: AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
        bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Steamroller rev: 1 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 4 MiB
      Speed (MHz): avg: 1764 high: 1966 min/max: 1700/3900 boost: enabled cores:
        1: 1697 2: 1700 3: 1966 4: 1696 bogomips: 31143
      Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm aes aperfmperf apic arat avx bmi1 bpext clflush
        cmov cmp_legacy constant_tsc cpb cpuid cr8_legacy cx16 cx8 de
        decodeassists extapic extd_apicid f16c flushbyasid fma fma4 fpu fsgsbase
        fxsr fxsr_opt ht hw_pstate ibs lahf_lm lbrv lm lwp mca mce misalignsse
        mmx mmxext monitor msr mtrr nodeid_msr nonstop_tsc nopl npt nrip_save nx
        osvw overflow_recov pae pat pausefilter pclmulqdq pdpe1gb perfctr_core
        perfctr_nb pfthreshold pge pni popcnt pse pse36 ptsc rdtscp rep_good sep
        skinit ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm svm_lock syscall tbm
        tce topoext tsc tsc_scale vmcb_clean vme vmmcall wdt xop xsave xsaveopt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast