Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable To Erase Disk And Install

Beans

Unable To Erase Disk And Install

I'm trying to install Ubuntu, however it doesn't give me the option to erase the drive and install. I've looked at other threads, but they seem incomplete. This is a Lenovo Thinkpad 490s.

I did sudo parted -l

Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
    Model: Seagate Portable (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags:

Beans

Re: Unable To Erase Disk And Install

Is this 1TB Seagate drive an internal or external drive? Is there anything on it, has it been used. The parted output you posted shows no partition table and no partitions and no filesystems so you an start by creating a partition table (gpt likely bes) then create a partition or partitions to your liking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are using 24.04 iso, load it which brings up live session and choice to install. Follow install process, which gives you choices to wipe drive and do a fresh install
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

From your output:
    Code:
    Partition Table: unknown
    If you use GParted from a live USB you need to first add a new partition table before you can format and add partitions or filesystems.

I assume this is a modern drive for a recent computer so the normal choice would be to add a gpt partition table.

But we need more information on your setup, especially other disks, other operating systems.

Beans

External drive. Has not been used previously, just used it to install Ubuntu. When I go to make a gpt partition it says
    Partition(s) 1, 4 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.

Beans

Tried to add a new partition on gparted. Received this message.
    Partition(s) 1, 4 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you plugged in an external drive, you need to unmount it before attempting to write any changes.

GParted will usually show a small key icon indicating the drive is mounted. If you right click on the drive it should offer the option to unmount and then you can try again.

Make absolutely sure it is the external drive you are looking at before making changes. There is a dropdown menu top right in GParted which shows all drives it can detect.
    Last edited by Rubi1200; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:44 PM.

Beans

This is what I see when I go into gparted. It appears i'm unable to mount/unmount.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ubunutu-36lMQWP

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

To use GParted to install Ubuntu 24.04, you will need to follow these steps:

Step 1: Install GParted
    Which is in the Boot / Install DVD/Thumbdrive via Install process. Otherwise ... To install GParted, open a terminal and run the following command: sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get install gparted

Step 2: Open GParted

Once GParted is installed, you can open it by searching for it in the application launcher or by running the command gparted in the terminal.

Step 3: Create a new partition

In GParted, you will see a list of all the partitions on your hard drive. To create a new partition for Ubuntu, right-click on an unallocated space and select “New” from the context menu.

Step 4: Set the partition size

In the “New Partition” window, set the size of the partition to the desired size for your Ubuntu installation. You need 3 partitions.
    a. for UEFI / Boot partition of about 500 MB in size. Flag UEFI / Boot
    b. for the main system install and set the file system type to “ext4” for Ubuntu. Flag as /
    c. for the swap file, 4 GB should do.

Step 5: Format the partitions

Click on the “Format” button to format the new partitions. This will erase all data on the partitions, so be careful not to format the wrong partitions.
    Note: your post above shows device / sda, but your picture shows sdb (which is a second drive). You should be installing to sda (first drive).

Step 6: Install Ubuntu

Once the partition is formatted, you can install Ubuntu on the new partition. Follow the installation prompts to install Ubuntu on the new partition.

That’s it! You should now have Ubuntu 24.04 installed on your computer using GParted.

Beans

Rick St. George,

Tried going through your steps, however for some reason I don't think gparted sees my computers hard drive. It only sees the Seagate external hard drive. This is what I see when I disconnect the external hard drive and start up gparted.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ubuntu-2-xPf4hLH

Thanks for your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast