Thread: background images in Ubuntu 24.04

Beans

background images in Ubuntu 24.04

I am very new to the latest Ubuntu version 24.04 and i'm still trying to get to grips with this great operating system.
    Unfortunately i don't like any of the background images currently available so could some one tell me where these
    background images are stored so that i can delete them as and when i get background images to replace them.

Finally, Could someone reccomend a web site where i can safely download background images more to my liking.

Thanks

Beans

Re: background images in Ubuntu 24.04

They're in the ubuntu-wallpapers package
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/oracular/ubuntu-wallpapers

They take up very little space so I wouldn't suggest you go diving through the OS deleting the wallpapers.

You can download new ones from Google Images. Just set a high resolution and search. There are desktop wallpaper websites but I'd say these were searched using Google

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1

And I would not delete files in a new OS. Give yourself time to learn and explore Ubuntu.

As far as background images: click on upper right corner icons which brings up menu > select system icon (spoke wheel) > select APPEARANCE

You can add your own pics for background through APPEARANCE. I store my pics in the PICTURES folder and pull background pic from there.
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

if you open synaptic package manager and type under search tab the word "wallpaper", you will be able to see all wallpapers of ubuntu from different versions and flavors. I think that installing some from there you will be able to find something to your liking. I wouldn't remove the default package named "ubuntu-wallpapers", yet if you do, I do not think that you will cause any harm.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Claus7 ---

LMAO... I'm still using the one you posted for NN DEV-24.04 in the Dev Cycle, on the physical NN that I installed for that on mine during testing.

It really is the best fit!!! Thank you for that.

@billywatt2 ---

Also look at https://www.gnome-look.org/browse?cat=300&ord=rating ...

But really, if you want to get down to it... Google "free wallpapers". Download an image that you like in the resolution you are using. Preview it. Select "Set as Wallpaper".

That is what i usually do. The thing with Linux, is that you are free to customize and make things your own. Custom theming, cursors, wallpapers, screensavers. etc, etc. Make things personalized and fun.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

In my case, I created a directory in my home directory, 'wallpapers'. If I see an image that I would use for a wallpaper, I download it to that directory. I use https://pixabay.com/editors_choice/. They have a huge collection of photos, vector graphics, and more. I think you need to create an account(free), and the images have multiple resolutions, and are free for personal use. When I want to change my wallpaper, I go into my desktop settings, and enter the path to the image I want to use. You can also use pictures from anywhere in your computer, family, vacation pics, whatever. Another site you can check out is https://unsplash.com/wallpapers/desktop.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 22.04.1, fully updated

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    @Claus7 ---

LMAO... I'm still using the one you posted for NN DEV-24.04 in the Dev Cycle, on the physical NN that I installed for that on mine during testing.

It really is the best fit!!! Thank you for that.
    I tried to find the relevant post, yet I couldn't. I think that I was searching for nice wallpapers for numbat and https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ngered-species
    and the second one from that page was what I found nice. MAFoElffen correct me if I'm wrong, yet my memory and "search" abilities are slim these days. Maybe, it will be a nice choice for the OP too.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: background images in Ubuntu 24.04

Hello,

no, no, no, no... There were so nice credits given...!

I remember back then in the early stages of noble development, seeing some relevant pictures. It reminded me a lot ubuntu 10.10 maverick meerkat, which was one of my favorite ubuntu versions. Anyway, I stop here, since it goes out of topic. I think that the OP will have many options for an ubuntu wallpaper reading this thread. I think though, that the options provided for noble are not as many as they used to. At least this is what I remember, yet in many cases I had wallpapers available from more that one version installed, since I think that in some upgrades the previous wallpapers were not removed.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

10.04 LTS was my favorite. It had everything worked out and was so very stable. Meercat added more to that, as a rolling release. Yes. I was very happy with the 10.xx releases.

Then came 11.04, and there were big changes and "challenges".

I noticed that on Lunar and Mantic (about the old artwork being left there) NN 24.04... We didn't see some of the artwork, until almost the release. Much later than normal.

Yes... Not far off-track. LOL