Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Ubuntu alongside Windows on a laptop - original recovery configuration

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu alongside Windows on a laptop - original recovery configuration

The image in your last post shows you have a very large partition on which windows is installed (/dev/sda3) so I would suggest you use windows Disk Management tool to shrink it to create unallocated space on which to install Ubuntu. After doing this, reboot windows to test and run chkdsk before beginning the Ubuntu install to the newly created free space. It also shows an EFI partition so when you boot the Ubuntu installer, make sure you select to boot in EFI mode in the BIOS options. I would suggest you read through some of the links posted above so you have a basic understanding of the install procedure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Ubuntu alongside Windows on a laptop - original recovery configuration

Here's another log to throw in the fire... Microsoft has a big bug right now with one of their updates, where what they thought was enough for the size of the originally installed Win PE recovery partition was too small. And a specific update breaks the machine, filling that partition to 100%.

They do not have a hot-fix for that. Nor have they figured out a way to handle that by an amended update process.

The correction has to be done "manually", by shrinking their root partition, deleting the old Recovery partition, adding a new one that is over the minimum new size required, then reapplying the update to re-populate that partition... I have to note that their own GUI tools can't handle that, and has to be done via booted from Win PE so nothing is mounted, and is all done in commandline.

When I do that for customers, I also grow the original size of the EFI partition, so it is over what was originally created. So I give 750MB to 1G as EFI. 500MB is their new minimum for the recovery partition after that... Where I give it 7500MB to 1G. Doing the math, and starting by shrinking the Win Root, by that much from the left before starting that.

Just thought I would throw that out

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12