Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What personal information sent to VPN server to initialize an open VPN?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What personal information sent to VPN server to initialize an open VPN?

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    Tor has no idea what traffic you're sending, whether it's HTTP or HTTPS or something else. It's not "only for" anything - it's a low latency anonymizing network.

And of course Tor handles DNS, if it didn't, it would be a massive privacy hole.
    My reading says that traffic outside the Tor Browser needs to be specifically setup to use Tor. Looks like there is a per-application method to have each use Tor for networking, but it isn't enabled by default.

https://support.torproject.org/faq/

Beans

Web browser fingerprint is a long story, now I just want to know what happen during initialization of OpenVPN.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by usoviet View Post
    Web browser fingerprint is a long story, now I just want to know what happen during initialization of OpenVPN.
    The only way to know for certain is to read the code. you can try using wireshark, but in theory, no traffic would be sent after the initial challenge setup packets. From that point on, everything should be encrypted, not viewable by us. "Use the source, Luke."

Beans

I think it is known by some VPN runners. It doesn't need to read the code, but the log.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it is known by some VPN runners. It doesn't need to read the code, but the log.
    Logs only contain what the programmer chooses. Usually logs are there to help fine issues, not provide all possible information sent. What gets logged is only what the programmer coded.

The researchers believe it affects all VPN applications when they’re connected to a hostile network and that there are no ways to prevent such attacks except when the user's VPN runs on Linux or Android. They also said their attack technique may have been possible since 2002 and may already have been discovered and used in the wild since then.
    Ref: https://arstechnica.com/security/202...ntire-purpose/

How much should you trust any VPN?
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

US sanctions operators of “free VPN” that routed crime traffic through user PCs
    Ref: https://arstechnica.com/security/202...ough-user-pcs/

Be careful which VPN service you choose.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    US sanctions operators of “free VPN” that routed crime traffic through user PCs
    Ref: https://arstechnica.com/security/202...ough-user-pcs/

Be careful which VPN service you choose.
    That's why I ask.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's why I ask.
    A VPN server has complete access to all packets sent through the tunnel, if they aren't sufficiently encrypted or the encryption keys have been leaked. Today, we know that all versions of SSL and TLS v1.2 and earlier aren't secure.

TLS v1.3 has been around a long time. While I haven't seen any reported cracks for it, at this point, if you really are worried, then I'd assume it has been cracked as well. You can force your clients to only work with TLS v1.3, but I think clients are setup by default with automatic negotiation for what the server provides, which could easily be lesser versions or completely cracked ciphers from 10+ yrs ago.

This isn't just about the VPN encryption. It is about the traffic being tunneled too. Modern browsers allow the user to limit which types of connections they will allow, so there is some control. You can look up what they allow.

The same problem with VPN servers applies to TOR exit nodes. Many TOR exit nodes are run by different security services for countries - both as a service AND in the hope they might catch some important data. Some are known to capture all the data, even if they cannot decrypt it today. They are storing it for later analysis. No way do I want my mother's recipes being leaked! Corporations have a different stance, usually. They know they can't prevent countries from having access to the encrypted data. Most countries do not pass on corporate secrets to companies inside their own borders, but a few times, high profile hand-offs have definitely happened. For most countries, getting access to VPN data is like peaking through a high fence - you can see a bit, but not everything. In corporate espionage, complete data is stolen and handed over. I can think of 4 well-known countries that have been caught multiple times doing corporate espionage. Most, but not all, countries doing it were authoritarian.

Protect your recipes!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

don't neglect to protect your GRANDmothers' recipes, too. both of them. i even have recipes from one of my great grandmothers so i have even more to protect.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12