Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What 22.04 Background Services are Safe to Disable + Login Screen Turns Black

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: What 22.04 Background Services are Safe to Disable + Login Screen Turns Black

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    Sorry, I mispoke, it's Control-Alt-F1 through F7. You may need to hold the Function (Fn) key on your keyboard to access the F keys.
    May have been F3 that brought me to a prompt login. Logged in ... now am at a prompt and don't know what to do next?!?!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: What 22.04 Background Services are Safe to Disable + Login Screen Turns Black

From my previous (same) issue, see URL at first post;

Posted by MAFOElfen
    Nvidia 390 is no longer supported by NVidia, but is still being patched by the Ubuntu Graphics Team. My Lenovo Thinkpad T520 uses this driver...

Try this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install -y nvidia-graphics-drivers-390
    I get this "Unable to locate package nvidia-grahics-drivers-390". Used "nvidia-driver-390" instead and received same Dpkg Error Code (1) from previous failure (see post #9).

Still can't boot, still at prompt.
    Last edited by Rick St. George; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Semi followed instructions found here - https://www.stephenwagner.com/2019/0...grade-install/

At the prompt edited Grub, Removed quiet and splash and added nomodeset. Update Grub and Rebooted.

Computer boots up but ONLY to 1 monitor and the resolution is not right (1024x768) and cannot change it. What does this mean that it won't recognize my 2nd monitor???
    Any ideas???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick St. George View Post
    Any ideas???
    Nothing constructive, just that nVidia sucks.

About 2 yrs ago, I removed nVidia from my last system here. Things are so much easier. In my situation, the iGPU in a Ryzen 5600G is faster than the nvidia 1030 GT. And I'm able to encode hevc and h.264 videos using the iGPU, unlike with the 1030. The HW-Encoding is fast, but the quality kinda sucks. Only useful for real-time transcoding, when needed for different devices. For any archival, handbrake CPU transcoding is much higher quality and lower file size, but takes about 3x longer.

I suppose of your needs require $1000+ nvidia, and you earn a living with those GPUs, then anything less isn't a consideration. But for middle-of-the-road and low-end GPUs, there's just no need for nvidia and the hassles seem to happen every few months. That was my experience since around 2012-ish. I'd been using nvideo since the early 2000s. When they dropped support for my 7200gs and only the F/LOSS drivers were available in 2016, I knew nvidia was just like all other proprietary software vendors.
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

What happens when you run "startx" at the command line prompt atfter logging in?

Beans
    Hidden!

NVIDIA doesn't suck.

I just built a high performance computer with an RTX 4090 graphics card.

Ubuntu 24 worked out of the box without as much as needing to install one additional driver.

If you're doing any sort of ML development, you will want NVIDIA.

If you're on a budget and want to play decent games, AMD is fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

currentshaft, Good that you have a $1500+ GPU. Enjoy. The most I've ever spent on a GPU was $130 and that was for a 3dfx model.
    I had nvidia GPUs for about 15 yrs, so my thoughts that "nvidia sucks" isn't without some basis.

BTW, I've never personally spent more than $1000 on a full computer, much less just a GPU. I bought my first computer in the 1980s. Before that, I use my parent's x86 clone or the school's different computers. My first $real_job post-University was as a computer programmer.

In 2012, Linus said, "NVIDIA is the Single Worst Company We've Ever Dealt With"
    Ref: https://www.techpowerup.com/167855/n...linus-torvalds

In 2012, I wasn't really having issues, but that time would come. I have a perfectly good GeForce 7200 gs and a 430GT Tell me how to make either work on Ubuntu 24.04 at 1920x1200, please. Since nVidia dropped support, their proprietary drivers have not worked. That's my definition of SUCK. The F/LOSS drivers only support 768p resolutions, at least at the time and for over 4 yrs. Then I gave up trying.

Ok, I'll amend my statement, "nVidia sucks for all uses, except high-end needs where the GPU costs 3x more than the rest of the computer".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    What happens when you run "startx" at the command line prompt atfter logging in?
    Code:
    ms7640:~$ startx

/usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap: Only console users are allowed to run the X server
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error
    Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console.
    Note: I am the Only User and with Administrator rights.

This issue may have to do with installation of VirtualBox ... as others see here have the same problem!?!? So... should this moved to VIRTUALIZATION category?

I need to make sure before I pay $100+ for another GPU. This one worked fine for a Decade with UbuntuStudio v18.04 and 20.04.
    I'm inclined to believe it is a Software problem (maybe v22.04), either with VirtualBox and/or Nvidia, and not a Hardware problem (I just replaced 10yr old SSD).

Note Build:
    Mobo - MSI 990FXA-GD65 Military Hardened (not overclocked) set for UEFI Boot (confirmed)
    CPU - AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8 Core
    GPU - ASUS GeForce GT610 2GB DDR3 Ram in PCIe x16 slot
    PSU - 450 Watt Enermax Gold
    RAM - 2 X 8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 Mhz
    OS - UbuntuStudio-64 v22.04 LTS
    Last edited by Rick St. George; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

PROBLEMS WITH NVIDIA DRIVER DEPENDENCIES
    Attempt to Fix.

Code:
    ms7640:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Setting up nvidia-dkms-390 (390.157-0ubuntu0.22.04.2) ...
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    INFO:Enable nvidia
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
    Removing old nvidia-390.157 DKMS files...
    Deleting module nvidia-390.157 completely from the DKMS tree.
    Loading new nvidia-390.157 DKMS files...
    Building for 6.5.0-35-lowlatency
    Building for architecture x86_64
    Building initial module for 6.5.0-35-lowlatency
    ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/nvidia-dkms-390.0.crash'
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.5.0-35-lowlatency (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/390.157/build/make.log for more information.
    dpkg: error processing package nvidia-dkms-390 (--configure):
     installed nvidia-dkms-390 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-driver-390:
     nvidia-driver-390 depends on nvidia-dkms-390 (<= 390.157-1); however:
      Package nvidia-dkms-390 is not configured yet.
     nvidia-driver-390 depends on nvidia-dkms-390 (>= 390.157); however:
      Package nvidia-dkms-390 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package nvidia-driver-390 (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                        Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140ubuntu13.4) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-35-lowlatency
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     nvidia-dkms-390
     nvidia-driver-390
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    =========================

Same Result for;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libnvidia-ifr1-390 libnvidia-gl-390
    Already installed, and Loops through Error Msgs.

Same for any other commands. The following is from AI.

The error “dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-driver-390 in ubuntu v22.04” indicates that there are unmet dependencies for the installation of the NVIDIA driver version 390 on Ubuntu 22.04. This can occur when the required dependencies are not installed or are not properly configured.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

Run the command sudo apt-get install -f to fix any broken dependencies.
    Run the command sudo dpkg --configure -a to configure any unconfigured packages.
    Check if there are any missing dependencies by running the command sudo apt-get install libnvidia-ifr1-390 libnvidia-gl-390 and install them if necessary.
    If the issue persists, try removing any conflicting packages by running the command sudo dpkg-divert --remove <package_name> and then reinstall the NVIDIA driver.
    If none of the above steps work, you can try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver by running the command sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-390 and then configuring it again with sudo dpkg --configure -a.
    FAILED AGAIN !!!

----- After more Research - Tried the Following -----------

Code:
    #Fix missing pkgs
    sudo apt-get update --fix-missing

# Unlock
    sudo fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    # Delete the Lock
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
    # Reconfigure Pkgs
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    # Install Fixed Pkgs
    sudo apt-get install -f
    # Clean
    sudo apt-get clean
    # Remove old pkgs
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Nothing Works!

Maybe this will remove the Error File and Try to Rebuild/Reinstall

Code:
    ms7640:~$ sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/nvidia-dkms-390* /tmp
    ms7640:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up nvidia-dkms-390 (390.157-0ubuntu0.22.04.2) ...
    Setting up nvidia-driver-390 (390.157-0ubuntu0.22.04.2) ...
    System Rebooted, but still ONLY 1 monitor displays.
    this is an AOC 27" With Full HD 1920x1080 resolution, HDMI out.
    Display settings shows ONLY available at 1024X768 in Weyland Session (whatever that is). Cannot modify!

Apparently, newer Ubuntu version 20.04+ have problems with anything outside of SNAP. Such as Video Drivers, Virtual Machines (at least VirtualBox).
    Will have to do more research on difference between Plasma X11 and Plasma Weyland (which refuses to accept Nvidia).

Sooo... one must know what GPUs are now currently supported in Ubuntu v22.04 / 24.04 and for how long? Short List Is it up to the Mfg ONLY?
    Maybe we are asking the wrong people!?!? Are they better supported under another Open OS like Red Hat, etc.? If so ... who?
    Three weeks later I'm still messing around trying to get my computer to work ... loosing productivity and money.
    I have 4 computers and 3 monitors sitting on my floor collection dust. Are they garbage now? Is this 8 core CPU garbage?
    Trying to keep my sanity is difficult to say the least in this world. Much less have to deal with this also!
    I doubt it, but hope this helped someone. This issue is still not resolved. Suggestion were to buy another GPU (1000s to choose from ... but, which one),
    dump VirtualBox and use another Virtual software like KVM/QEMU (researching it now) but can't calculate lost time and money! Enough Ranting - Sorry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it were me and you didn't plan to get a $1500 GPU, then I'd go with the AMD GPU that fit my needs and budget. Get a current generation GPU that is supported by the kernel you use for the longest support period.

I have doubts that anything else is wrong, without more data showing a motherboard, CPU, PSU, HDD, SSD or some other issue.

Drivers aren't Linux-OS dependent. All flavors of Linux have the same kernel, just different versions. Eventually, they all will have the same driver. Some are more bleeding edge which has pros and cons. Some use older kernels, which means they are more stable, but don't support the latest drivers/hardware. Releases from different vendors hope over each other with the latest kernels.

A GT610 is pretty old. It was the low-low-low-end GPU when it was new. It has a VGA output, which hasn't been part of most GPUs over 6 yrs. I know, 6 yrs ago, I wanted a VGA connected GPU and couldn't find any except 8-monitor versions for $1200 (trading platform GPUs) with specialized Windows-only drivers. Any current generation GPU would be better. In fact, any iGPU would be better from the last 3 yrs, so it may make sense to do a GPU+iGPU upgrade now.

I would have screwed around with an old nVidia GPU for a few days, then found a replacement AMD GPU and bought that. Down time would have been at most 7 days, probably 3-5 days.
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast