Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot stopping at BIOS ? (revalidation failed)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Boot stopping at BIOS ? (revalidation failed)

My Dell Laptop had major issues & I had to return it for new motherboard. (Twice)
    First time both Windows & Ubuntu kept working.
    But second time I think Dell forgot to put the old Product key back into the UEFI. So Windows would not boot.
    And I could not restore system, install Windows or do just about anything. Kubuntu worked without issue.
    Finally the only thing that did work was to use Dell's total restore. That converted it back to as purchased. And totally erased my working Kubuntu on internal drive.

So have used external SSD which for my use is just as fast as when installed. Not sure if I will reinstall Kubuntu to internal drive since SSD works so well. Only issue is sometimes I have to use Dell's F12 to choose boot, internal Windows or external drive. It seems to remember external drive boot where most systems do not remember that.
    I am not a fan of laptops, only have it for when I travel, as main working install is a Desktop install of Kubuntu that I replicate to external SSDs.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Boot stopping at BIOS ? (revalidation failed)

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Finally the only thing that did work was to use Dell's total restore. That converted it back to as purchased. And totally erased my working Kubuntu on internal drive.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences, @oldfred . I will take the safe route and disconnect the SSD when I need Windows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12