Thread: Remote desktop ignoring vino settings and generating random password

Beans

Remote desktop ignoring vino settings and generating random password

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading the hardware for an Ubutnu 22.04 machine and due to possible disk corruption, have had to do a fresh install of 22.04. The original install allowed remote desktop access using vino with a TightVNC client. I'm trying to replicate the setup on the new install. The remote desktop connection is now working, but only if I manually edit the password in the remote desktop settings dialog after every reboot. There appears to be a bug or something which causes it to be set to a random string.

I've tried using the dconf-editor to change the authentication to 'vnc-password' and then set the password to the one I want to use. I know that the default 'keyring' value can cause problems because the keyring won't necessarily be unlocked.

Code:
    $ gsettings get org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods
    ['vnc']

$ gsettings get org.gnome.Vino vnc-password
    'mypassword'
    I don't understand why the remote desktop is ignoring these settings. I know it was working before so I assume I'm missing a step somewhere. The new installation is essentially the default but with wayland disabled.

What do I need to do?

Beans

Re: Remote desktop ignoring vino settings and generating random password

Seems this is a common problem. I found a workaround here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1403...s-every-reboot