Thread: Sound not working after updating kernel

Beans

Sound not working after updating kernel

Hey everyone,
    I've been encountering an issue with my Dell G3 running Ubuntu 22.04. Everything was fine until I updated my system last week with a new kernel using the commands:

>>> sudo apt update
    >>> sudo apt dist-upgrade

Since then, my audio has gone silent. In the system settings under Sound, I now see "Cannon Lake PCH cAVS" as the output device, whereas it used to show something else. Adding

>>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0"

to /etc/default/grub restores the audio, but unfortunately, my microphone no longer works. It seems like there might be a regression in the latest kernel update. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Re: Sound not working after updating kernel

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to share a solution for this issue I was experiencing with my computer's sound. Despite having the volume set to the maximum in Settings -> Sound, I couldn't hear anything from the internal speaker. After some troubleshooting, I managed to fix the problem, and here's how:

1. Open your terminal.
    2. Type alsamixer and press Enter to launch the mixer.
    3. Press F6 to select your sound card. In my case, I chose "sof-hda-dsp."
    4. Navigate to "PGA 1.0" and "PGA 3.0."
    5. Increase the volume bars to maximum for these settings.

This adjustment brought the sound back on my system. I hope this helps anyone facing a similar issue!