Thread: Thunderbolt 4 maple ridge firmware update

Beans

Thunderbolt 4 maple ridge firmware update

This is definitely going to require someone who is an expert on thunderbolt

In this guide, it talks about performing Thunderbolt firmware updates

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html

The problem is, for Maple Ridge TB4 chips on PCs, for some yet unknown reason, write access to the firmware is disabled in the kernel code, and only read access is allowed

In the guide it says firmware updates are not supported on Macs, but this isn’t a Mac, it’s a Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4 based PC from HP — long shot here but is there any way I can find out who actually wrote this guide and email them?

This is such a specialized topic I am doubtful that I will get any answers just posting on random Linux forums

This also applies to any Linux distro and any TB4 based PC from any OEM

Here’s the relevant kernel code, you can see Falcon Ridge (and Titan Ridge) allows “icm->can_upgrade_nvm” but scroll down and you’ll see that Maple Ridge does not

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...lt/icm.c#L2445

I am wondering why, and if there is any possible way to get write access to the firmware, and who I could potentially ask about this

Intel have not been helpful at all, and the same goes for HP

The underlying issue I am experiencing here is that specific NVM firmware versions have compatibility problems with certain end devices

Once you update using the OEM’s package / utility, there is currently no way to revert…so you’re up 💩 creek without a paddle, basically

I have posted in the Thunderbolt sub on Reddit, and no one knew the answer, so thought I would ask here

If there is another sub I could ask in let me know too, thanks

Lastly, perhaps there is another roundabout way (like not through the Thunderbolt subsystem but through some other mechanism) to be able to flash the correct SPI EEPROM, if anyone is aware of how to do this?
    Last edited by 5urg3; April 11th, 2024 at 05:43 PM.

Beans

Re: Thunderbolt 4 maple ridge firmware update

Someone on Reddit showed me this yesterday
    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...92523e2358c5b3

Looks like I should be able to change one line of code and then I can get it to work

I haven't built a custom kernel in a long long time
    I am following these instructions here

I used apt and downloaded the kernel, changed the thunderbolt file and added the line of code

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel

I get to -- fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic binary-perarch

And the build fails, the error is

Debug: /home/nick/linux-oem-6.5-6.5.0/debian/stamps/stamp-install-generic kernel_file arch/x86/boot/bzImage kernfile arch/x86/boot/bzImage install_file vmlinuz instfile vmlinuz
    dh_testdir
    dh_prep -plinux-image-unsigned-6.5.0-1019-generic
    dh_prep: error: Requested unknown package linux-image-unsigned-6.5.0-1019-generic via -p/--package, expected one of: linux-oem-6.5-headers-6.5.0-1019 linux-oem-6.5-tools-6.5.0-1019 linux-oem-6.5-tools-host linux-image-unsigned-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-modules-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-modules-extra-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-headers-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-oem-6.5-lib-rust-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-image-unsigned-6.5.0-1019-oem-dbgsym linux-tools-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-cloud-tools-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-buildinfo-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-modules-ipu6-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-modules-ivsc-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-modules-iwlwifi-6.5.0-1019-oem linux-modules-usbio-6.5.0-1019-oem
    dh_prep: error: unknown option or error during option parsing; aborting
    make: *** [debian/rules.d/2-binary-arch.mk:132: /home/nick/linux-oem-6.5-6.5.0/debian/stamps/stamp-install-generic] Error 255

If there's an easier way or if someone could help me with this, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Beans

Re: Thunderbolt 4 maple ridge firmware update

I figured it out. Going by the Wiki instructions for the "quicker build" command I was using "binary-generic" -- I was trying to build one of the OEM kernels, so the command needed to be "binary-oem" -- whoops...