Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Hi again everybody
    I'm having problems with my Thunderbird email client and recently, I changed my email password and it is working on everything except my Thunderbird on my Ubuntu.
    Okay I reset my password and checked all of my incoming and outgoing mail server settings including assistance from my Internet/email provider tech service and all is good.
    I reentered my correct password when I get the Password Required-Mozilla Thunderbird
    ? Please enter your Primary Password

I enter my new password for my email account and press the blue Sign in button Icon and blip this window keeps reappearing with an empty box and keeps prompting me for a password.

A number of months ago I had account password problems and I was unable to recieve and send emails on my Thunderbird and the only way I, and my service provider could get it to work was for me to remove my email account from my Thunderbird email client and re enter it and this worked. This time I think I actually deleted it and reentered and I keep getting the password window popping up.
    What am I doing wrong and it appears my contacts are still within Thunderbird.
    Do I have to remove and reinstall Thunderbird or am I missing a step here?
    I advised tech support it was Thunderbird on Ubuntu and he mentioned he was familiar with it as well.
    Perhaps this isn't a password problem from the recent password change and perhaps it's a Thunderbird glitch?? A different problem misleading me to thinking it's my password change perhaps?

A bit more info here is I routinely update my system and there are current updates available including the notification pop up telling me a new version is available but this happens at the most inappropriate times and I select ask me later. Otherwise I have the Cougar on my Desktop

IF removing and reinstalling is perhaps a solution, how do I backup my contacts list? Since my server settings are IMAP I can download all my emails from the server as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Currently I posted this problem on Mozilla forum and waiting for assistance and also included all the port and server settings which are correct.
    IF my Thunderbird installation is "buggy" what is the proper Ubuntu procedure for backing up my contacts and uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Thunderbird?

Beans
    Hidden!

you can use Thunderbirds own settings to export contacts ( i cant remember exactly where as i haven't used TB in a long time).
    just as a matter of interest are you using the snap of TB or the .deb install as i have found that sometimes the .deb file install works better then the snap ..
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

IDK if this will help or not, but my Thunderbird gets its email through Comcast/Xfinity, and to configure Thunderbird to receive/send email, one must use the comcast/xifinity email password.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My provider is Saskatchewan's Sasktel and they are our internet, email and telephone land line provider and of course we have Sasktel webmail where we use a browser to log on directly on the Sasktel server using a web browser. Let's say my computer or internet goes down I can log on there and of course directly change my password there. I also have 3gb of space on their server for each email account and of course if you send lots of pictures, and if that 3gb gets filled, you have to log on using a browser and go through all emails and delete ones you don't want and then after that empty the deleted emails folder and then delete the trash folder contents. This or you cannot send or recieve.
    Using their IMAP Server settings
    Incoming Server
    IMAP Server
    mail.sasktel.net
    Security Type
    SSL
    Port

Outgoing Server
    SMTP Server
    smtp.sasktel.net
    Security Type
    TLS
    Port
    Require authentication to send emails (turned on)

And of course on Outlook Express which is used on my Windows 10 partition of my dual boot computer of which Ubuntu is also on, my Outlook requires me to enter the same password on both Incoming and Outgoing servers which is the password my Sasktel server requires to be accessed.

In the case of this Thunderbird, the password has to be entered and even though I selected "remember password" it still pops up the window Enter Passwrod and when I do, it doesn't carry on and then start downloading emails but instead it keeps popping up the enter password window repeatedly.
    On my Outlook I have the option of it remembering or to have to enter it for both receiving and sending email.
    I suspect my installation of Thunderbird has turned into a Thunderchicken and perhaps the software is corrupted?

Beans
    Hidden!

for the outlook login you may need an extension/add on.

tbsync
    https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB...l-dependencies

and possibly

caldev
    https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB...tbsync/?src=ss

also have a look at this Thunderbird and outlook
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...hunderbird-202

have a look at these and see if they help ..
    Last edited by gezzer2; April 7th, 2024 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Spelling, always spelling !!!
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Outlook is fine, my Sasktel Web email is fine, my android phone is fine as well. Thunderbird asks for my password and just keeps popping up the window as if no password is entered or a wrong password is entered over and over. Is there a way to uninstall it and reinstall it? Is there an alternative to Thunderbird?
    I have had problems like this with it before and now I cannot correct it and if I cannot correct it, it is no different than having no email client.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I might add that when I had my service provider tech support on the phone, he asked me if I had VPN running and I said and it never created a problem before. I even disabled it, reinabled it and the password window keeps popping up!
    Alternatives to Thunderbird?
    How do I uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall it?

Beans
    Hidden!

i have find this. it looks like MS have changed the log in requirements ..

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...hunderbird-202

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bear with me here!!
    Let me throw everything out in the open here as well for clarification.
    I DO NOT USE HOTMAIL and avoid it like the plague it is because why do I want to wade through tons of SPAM GARBAGE DAILY? In order to use that garbage you have to put up with this so lets get Hotmail out of the picture.
    I have Microsoft One Drive but I couldn't be bothered to pay for space above and beyond this nonsense when I have tons of hard drive space on my computers and memory on my phone. This is just another money grab just like iCloud and due to having a garbage iPhone for years with no storage space I now have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra with 512gb of storage and it can handle a 1TB SD card.
    Microsoft has NOTHING to do with my Sasktel email and internet service provider and this also includes Hotmail and Gmail and yes I also have Gmail but seldom use it.
    Why am I using Linux? When Microshaft dictates that my 2017 AM3+ hardware including an FX8570 8 core processor are not compatible with their garbage Win 11 which has very little difference between Win 10 except uses more disk space and RAM is when I look for alternatives.
    Sasktel is totally independent and works on all of my devices.

Now I will now get back to the point of all my settings are correct and nothing has changed except my password of which this 115.9.0 will not except. I went through this nonsense a number of months ago and the only way I could get this CRAP to work was literally remove my email account from TBird and reinstall it and it worked back then but not now. Sasktel tech support suggested that step months ago and now it doesn't work at the present time. This time the Sasktel tech agent asked if I have VPN running and I beat him to this and disabled it and this didn't solve the issue and I advised him of this being done and it wasn't an issue before.
    Obviously this installation is buggy or corrupted perhaps during a software update, and I wish to uninstall it and reinstall it and start over!! If it doesn't work II will rip it out and look for an alternative. As for SNAPS, I'm totally unfamiliar with this concept and even though I started using Linux over 20 years ago and of a number of different distros, some of which do not exist anymore, I have limited knowledge of commands on the Terminal.
    Now given all of this, how do I uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall it?
    If after all of this kerfuffle, it still doesn't work, what is a great alternative other than using Windows for email? As it is, if I wish to do online transactions I generally use Linux with fewer worries of security and viruses.
    BTW, how long does it take to reset my Sasktel email server password in Outlook, and on my Note 20? a matter of a few seconds to access my account settings to simply backspace and delete the existing email and type in my new password and it is done. This also includes all of my server settings for incoming and outgoing mail as well. During situations like this, I also test my password to see if it is actually proper by using a browser and logging onto Sasktel Webmail and go directly to my account on the Sasktel service provider's server and also Sasktel is our provincial government telephone and internet/email service provider if you don't wish to use Hotmail or Gmail and is like using one of those American service providers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast