Thread: Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Just delete anything ".thunderbird"

Are you ready for a flatpak install?

Time has ran out for me today, got to catch a Jet.
    I'll check back after i land.
    Something for me to consider and I will look into it now that I got most of my Thunderbird problems straightened out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Anyway after taking a break from this I contacted Sasktel tech support just to make absolutely sure everything is set up properly and this is also a wise step because I could be wrongfully blaming Thunderbird!

I suspect that this is true .. wrongfully blaming Thunderbird.

Regard this as an exercise in navigating and learning Ubuntu.
    Personally I see these popups every day. I just click through Cancel and get into Thunderbird GUI.
    I would think twice about reinstalling. You might jump from frying pan into fire.
    Instead use this case to refine your troubleshooting skills.
    My first thought is to ensure that you have backed up your existing setup. This takes you into a different world. Search rdiff-backup.

Another option is to have a second Thunderbird profile for testing.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...tiple-profiles
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ores-user-data
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird
    Other apps such as Firefox allow multiple profiles.
    The process is explained here.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...rofile-manager
    Returning to Thunderbird go to top bar > Help > Trouble Shooting Information
    Study the data.
    In particular view the table:
    Mail and News Accounts
    In my Trouble Shooting I look to Outgoing Servers and I see that i have No Authentication on some accounts. This might explain why I see the pop messages at Thunderbird startup.
    There is “Diagnose Issues”
    You can switch to "TroubleShoot Mode".

But note I have had no cause myself to dive in here. And I only have one Profile.

I might consider diving in deeply.
    To backup profile.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ind-my-profile
    Yet another option is to run Thunderbird in a virtual machine on your desktop. Or perhaps use your LiveUSB to “Try Ubuntu” (not install) to observe how Thunderbird works in a fresh environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I could not enter my correct password after following 1fallen's
    sudo apt autoremove --purge thunderbird
    And it was simply a totally repeat of the problem at hand.
    After he advised me to go into .home directory including Control H to reveal hidden folders and TOTALLY CLEAN OUT THUNDERBIRD, EVERYTHING THUNDERBIRD, was when I was able to reinstall a "clean" installation and get it to work.
    Unless you ferret everything out and by everything I mean EVERYTHING, you will get a repeat!
    You should NOT have to remove your entire account such as your entire email account in order to get it to work and this was the case 2 months ago and that is the ONLY way it would accept.
    Fast forward to the present time, not even all of these needless steps would help.

If software was so perfect we wouldn't need updates and perhaps my Tbird became corrupted during an update?
    2 months ago a friends email account was hacked during an attempt at fraud and all his contacts were sent an email requesting they purchase gift cards for a sick friend and I suspected his account was hacked and contacted him by phone to enquire.
    You guessed it! This prompted me to change my password as well and back then it was remove my account in order to finally get it to work! For security reasons is why you should change your email account password on a routine basis!
    Now again I change it and this happens and if this is normal for Thunderbird, which I doubt it, it should be a simple procedure only taking a few minutes!! On my Windows 10 where I use Office 2007 Professional which uses Outlook, I go into my email client, into settings, account settings, over to server settings including password and backspace or delete, enter new password and enter save and it is done! The same applies to my service provider server where I log on using a web browser and of course my smartphone.
    When ALL your server settings are correct including password, including checked and rechecked a number of times, and then correct password promptly rejected, there is a problem.

On Thunderbird Support forum one member scoffed at totally removing everything when he said all I had to do was remove my email profile and account and re-entering it instead of wiping it all out. I CLEARLY pointed out THAT DIDN'T WORK until I did what 1fallen mentioned and that was to go directly into the .home directory and TOTALLY ferret out ALL THUNDERBIRD and that is THE ONLY WAY I got it to work. Using the uninstall/purge command did not get it all out and purge/uninstall and reinstall only recreated a problem because all of my folders dated 2018 and later reappeared like a reoccurring nightmare🤣.
    Perhaps there was nothing wrong with the TBird software, but one of those folders within contained something that caused it to not work.
    Passwords should be routinely changed for security and it should be a simple procedure to do so🤔.
    Oh yes as mentioned to 1fallen, to really be sure I wasn't pointing the finger at the wrong problem, I again contacted Sasktel to verify and clarify the "autodetect" or "normal password" settings and they advised both are perfectly fine. I also experimented with both prior to total removal with no success.
    Total purge, cleaning out everything and it only took seconds to enter everything back in and save and instantly my emails came rolling back in from the server. I spent a number of days including with Sasktel tech support with no results attempting to get the previous installation to work.

It was less work to quickly move my mail.sasktel.net folder containing my contacts and emails to another directory and then totally purge out the entire installation including ALL folders and reinstall.

If you see the identical situation that I had, this should be suggested and exactly like 1fallen mentioned but as it turned out my so called backup was more extensive compared to what his link mentioned.
    If software was perfect we wouldn't need updates.
    If my email account was hacked, this would probably be a good safety measure as well?? How easy would it be to plant a bug in my Thunderbird or did my bird get bird flu🤣

This has taught me more valuable lessons on how to do this and I even updated 20.4.0 and then upgraded to 22.4.0 using terminal including routine updates because the notifications always happen at the wrong time and take to long reappearing when I select "ask me later" and what I need is more experience using commands because years of windows, as far back as Windows 3.1 has turned me into a GUI slave😂.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Timeline, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, but things happen.

It sounds like you had quite the adventure, and gained some trouble shooting skills along the way.

And you also got a taste of what one person suggests will be Scoffed by another person. Typical response for what works for one is not the case for all.

Many many ways to accomplish things or tasks at hand.

Warning at times I'm known for swinging a big hammer as last resort. (Not recommended unless you know how to fix broken stuff)
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1fallen
    Fantastic! A great, accurate response, and in reality you summed it up very well👍. The scoffers likely have never changed their passwords in many days, weeks, months, or even years and sometimes I'm guilty of this with my Sasktel password being the same for years and it was a simple 6 character figure provided by my service provider as a starting point😂.
    When you never change or are forced to change passwords and things keep ticking along just fine, but that doesn't mean they are okay!!
    Going back several months when my friends account was hacked, I became suspicious when all my devices were acting glitchy and in reality it was Sasktel's server which was going through upgrades including converting over to 5G server as well. I got notices about "unable to connect with server" and damn it anyway it was a password situation and here is the laugh making me realize it was on their end! I selected reset password and just out of curiosity I reentered my current password and WTH it logs on?? Obviously a glitch on their server and everything now works and how did I determine this? When everything conks out at the same time I used my internet browser and logged onto my Sasktel webmail server account and discovered the problem. It is no use poking around in your email client on the phone or all your computers first but go directly to my service provider first and of course part of my Thunderbird diagnostics included this as well as rechecking all server settings.
    Let's face it! Are we going into our settings everytime we log onto our server? If you have "remember my password" selected this is done automatically and if you don't, everytime you open your email client you have to enter it.

Just out of curiosity I dug out my netbook, a pathetic Acer Aspire One 533 which in reality should be called an Acer Dispair Plenty 666, with a HORRIBLE Atom 455 single core processor and from new it was a gutless POS I should never have purchased🤬. It had 1gb of RAM and could barely handle Win 7 Starter Edition, a stripped down version and installing the maximum possible 2gb of RAM, which is still pathetic but helped, is a daunting task with Acer describing it as unserviceable for an option but it is😂👎.
    Anyway I got Q4OS on it because right out of the box it is a nice lightweight distro that performs the best without looking totally stripped down and Ubuntu lite versions were more demanding on this gutless turd.
    Yes it is using Thunderturd as well but an older? 102.9.0 32 bit and I never set it up. I went through the same song and dance and of course selected "remember password" and while sending and recieving mail it prompted me for a damn password🤣. Well anyway my password when entered does work🙏 so even though it's supposed to remember, it has dementia and cannot remember it😂. Best be leaving it as is or history will likely repeat😂🙏.
    Other than this 1fallen you were extremely helpful in all steps from start too finish!
    Before I read your instructions about going into the hidden folders and ferreting out EVERYTHING, the automatic uninstal/purge left nasty reminants behind and it simply kept re-installing the same problem over and over.
    There is definitely a problem and I could have spent time attempting to try to determine what is wrong, but when you don't go into settings and disturb and it quits working is time to take a sledge hammer and rip it out by the roots.
    When I see this same problem, I will post my situation and obviously when all the proper settings are used and it still 🤮, tells me to uninstall and try to reinstall and 🙏.
    If nothing is disturbed it should keep functioning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is the latest update on this Thunderchicken🤣situation.
    Today I log onto my email with my cell, a Samsung Note 20 and immediately it complains it cannot log onto the server? Oh really? Here we go again😡.
    I go straight over to my Sasktel web email server and use this newly created password and yes it's correct and no I cannot log on. I contact Sasktel tech support and explain this entire situation, reset my password yet again😂 and after this is done tech support checks my account, at my request for a recent password reset or request for one and there is none and no signs of any suspicious activity and we both agreed there was perhaps a glitch in the server because I didn't use an incorrect password. 2 months ago this happened and I selected reset and for an experiment I entered my recent rejected password and it now works🤔. I mentioned this to tech support as well.
    Fast forward to Thunderbird and the fact that several months ago I had to TOTALLY remove my account from Thunderbird in order to get it to work, and recently my password reset failed in every attempt including uninstalling and the mess repeating until 1fallen mentioned how to totally clean everything out and then reinstall.
    Now we have this password situation and my thought was here we go again😖😂.
    I opened Thunderbird and again it complained like everything else, that it couldn't log on with the window popping up to enter password and I deleted the password and entered the new recreated password and selected remember password and 🙏🙏🙏clicked save and it downloaded all emails needing to be downloaded.
    I did my usual test of sending a test email to myself and of course it prompted me for a password on the Outgoing Mail Server and again I entered and it accepted and saved it.
    Of course a reboot into Windows to reset Outlook as well and then back into Ubuntu and it logs on without a password required prompt.

This clearly indicates the former installation was corrupted in some way and without any server setting changes made, it should remain this way. If one is learning how to use Ubuntu and this Thunderbird, back it up like I did and rip it out as per 1fallen's instructions🤣. If I was a heavy duty advanced Linux user with all commands in my memory as if I know a second language, well perhaps attempt to figure out what is going on but if all else fails treat it like a software update and yank it out and reinstall. If one doesn't know how to properly go into this software and determine the problem and then attempt to make changes, this could be "jumping into the fire from the frying pan"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have you perused Troubleshooting Information as penned in post #22?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have used a number of the suggestions in that post but in reality:
    My port and server settings NEVER CHANGED
    I removed and reinstalled my account 2 months ago after much difficulty to finally get it to work. Two months later this never worked!!
    Obviously if it takes me just seconds in identical circumstances to change password, there was something wrong. When you use it day after day for literally months and then a password gets changed, and it is a major problem to enter a new password, there is something major wrong and yes I always update. You shouldn't have to change profile and do a major song and dance if all of a sudden you need to change a password and in reality, saving a backup, uninstall with full purge and checking if anything remains behind was faster once I knew what to do. I sure as heck don't have a computer science or Electrical Engineering degree and I feel I shouldn't have to diagnose somebody else's software and I do this often enough when a Windows update goes wrong installing wrong drivers and other problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree that you should not have to jump through such hoops. I have used Thunderbird on multiple domain accounts for years and apart from the annoying password popups (probably I have a password glitch) it continues to work. I just cancel the popups and leave well alone. If I experiment it will be in a virtual machine.
    Recently I experienced a spate of spam flooding coming into a dormant account. This was not Thunderbird problem. I had to tighten the security in my domain managed by Google. MX records. So what might appear to be a Thunderbird issue in fact might come from another source. Sasktel? Or domain DNS records?
    Last edited by dragonfly41; April 13th, 2024 at 08:18 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123