Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Thunderbird 115.9.0 Problems

Quote Originally Posted by hennmann View Post
    Now given all of this, how do I uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall it?
    First for your back-ups for Tbird: https://www.technewstoday.com/how-to...e-thunderbird/

To uninstall it completely for 20.04 and 22.04 use
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove --purge thunderbird
    Check in your home directory with {Ctrl + h} reveals hidden folders and in .mozilla folder look for thunderbird to see if anything remains.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by 1fallen; April 8th, 2024 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is another discovery and I also upgraded my system to 22.0.4
    After the upgrade Thunderbird is still messing around and i reinstalled my account and it still wont accept my password. The blue +New Messages box is instead of being deep blue appears faded as if this function is disabled and of course it is because IT WON"T ACCEPT MY PASSWORD!!
    I go into my Ubuntu Software and select Installed Software and Thunderbird doesn't appear including Mozilla Thunderbird so I cannot even uninstall it even though the icon is on my Desktop so what is up with this??
    Yes I tried different settings and as it is the settings for Authentication aren't even exact with what is on Sasktel port settings including authentication or port security.
    HOW DO I REMOVE THIS QUESTIONABLE SOFTWARE AND START OVER??
    How do I uninstall if it doesn't appear in the Ubuntu installed software? How does something allegedly not installed still open up and attempt to work even though it is not indicated in my Ubuntu installed software? Firefox We Browser sure as heck does and appears in this location.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Software center shows snaps, and if truly using 22.04 is a .deb
    ie:
    Code:
    apt policy thunderbird
    Should show up there ie:
    Code:
    apt policy thunderbird
    thunderbird:
      Installed: 1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1
      Candidate: 1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1
      Version table:
     *** 1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1 100
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         1:115.8.0+build1-0ubuntu1 500
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/main amd64 Packages
    You say you upgraded to 22.04, but did you follow or try my suggestions in post #11

My removal:
    Code:
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      thunderbird* thunderbird-locale-en* thunderbird-locale-en-us*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 255 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 258 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
    (Reading database ... 298101 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing thunderbird-locale-en-us (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1) ...
    Removing thunderbird-locale-en (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1) ...
    Removing thunderbird (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1.1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.12.0-3) ...
    Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1ubuntu5) ...
    (Reading database ... 297994 files and directories currently installed.)
    Purging configuration files for thunderbird (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.23.10.1)
    I think there is more to this than meets the eye....
    Last edited by 1fallen; April 8th, 2024 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add to
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since no replies showed up I did searching at other websites to uninstall it and used command line to remove and to also reinstall it and also had to get the snap. Yes it installed and is back to square one.
    1fallen, my previous search gave me this
    sudo apt autoremove --purge thunderbird

but since I did this before reading your post I didn't do this
    "Check in your home directory with {Ctrl + h} reveals hidden folders and
    in .mozilla folder look for thunderbird to see if anything remains.

Good Luck"

One thing I noticed is my address book still remained intact so I guess I should repeat including following your steps.

Like I mentioned earlier Bear with me and I will mention a big thank you to everybody as I stumble through this! It looks Like everything didn't get purged so I will start over. I will let you know what the results are. Other than this, with this latest glitch I never had any problems with Thunderbird before except for my previous problems a few months ago

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sudo apt autoremove --purge thunderbird gave me this response

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 184387 files and directories currently installed.)
    Purging configuration files for thunderbird (1:115.9.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1) ...
    dpkg: warning: while removing thunderbird, directory '/etc/apport/native-origins.d' not empty so not removed
    don@krait:~$
    I followed your search and I deleted everything except the folder mail.sasktel.net which contains Sent and inbox containing 3.2gb of emails so perhaps I should save it elsewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If all else fails it available as a flatpak as well, and recommenced by Mozilla
    Install from Flatpak (Recommended)
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nderbird-linux

Just let me know how you want to proceed.

My time today is short, leaving for the Airport very soon for a day or two.

And you can access your mail through a browser as well....just a reminder.
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Only one folder was remaining with my mail.sasktel.net folder moved to my documents folder and then I went back to Terminal and entered sudo apt install thunderbird
    My icon appeared back on my favorites and back to square one LMAO......................................!
    I went back to home directory and then to Mozilla including Turdbird directory and everything was back in there as if it was never removed. This is so sad its totally laughable.
    After I read your link https://www.technewstoday.com/how-to...e-thunderbird/ I will determine how to back it up and just in case I @#$% things up I will take that folder in Tbird and save it to a flash drive.
    BTW!! Just to be clear on what is now going on AFTER the Terminal command of sudo apt install thunderbird, I selected Control H as you instructed and yes I see my .thunderbird directory and below this clearly shown folder is faded out or perhaps so called hidden folders:
    examples.desktop
    .bash_history
    .bash_logout
    .bashrc
    .ICEauthority
    .profile
    .sudo_as_admin_successful

After the sudo apt autoremove --purge thunderbird command and returning to the home directory and of course using Control H, what should there be remaining? If there is something remaining do I delete it? or...................get out my hard drive utility and do a low level format to the drive writing zeros and then ones to each and every sector LMAO!

"To boldly go where no man has gone before"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just delete anything ".thunderbird"

Are you ready for a flatpak install?

Time has ran out for me today, got to catch a Jet.
    I'll check back after i land.
    Last edited by 1fallen; April 8th, 2024 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi and thanks again on "delete anything Thunderbird"
    I can wait until you land ans hopefully it's not a Boeing 737max🤣🙏.
    Anyway after taking a break from this I contacted Sasktel tech support just to make absolutely sure everything is set up properly and this is also a wise step because I could be wrongfully blaming Thunderbird!
    What was totally bothering me were the security settings for passwords which are slightly different for Thunderbird vs Outlook and my smartphone. I tried both Autodetect and Normal Password which were not suggested on Sasktel email support website for setting up the email client and Sasktel tech support told me
    " either Normal or Auto detect will work fine" "and the port settings and SSL & TLS used in Outlook and my Samsung are perfectly fine on Thunderbird"
    The Tech support staff I find are using both Outlook and Thunderbird and most likely use both so they are familiar with both. Yes they asked me if I was using VPN and I told them I disabled it as well. Besides this VPN is on my Windows as well with no problems and besides this it wasn't a problem before.
    Given all of this, most likely my Thunderbird is corrupted with a glitch..
    As per your instructions I will go back and uninstall and completely purge everything🙏and give it a try. It will be easy to determine if properly purged because what reappeared was folders with 2019, and 2022 dates along with all other folders so a total purge didn't occur just like removing a virus on Windows🤣.

One thing is for sure and this is quite a learning process including using commands on a terminal. Using Windows for years has turned me into a GUI slave. During my search for information on removing Thunderbird, other people also mentioned what I also discovered and that was Mozilla Thunderbird is not showing up in Ubuntu software where you select uninstall and is where I saw the Terminal command to remove it as well as reinstalling it.
    Also my upgrade from 20.4.0 to 22.4.0 went smoothly as well. The pop-up that advises me a new version is available always appeared at the most inappropriate times so I did an upgrade using terminal commands.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1fallen

I once again did the uninstall as per your instructions and again went into home directory and located Thunderbird and deleted it. The faint folders bellow this folder I sat and looked at and looked at carefully including reading the text and they were nothing to do with Thunderbird so I stayed away from them because they are likely important system files!!
    I reinstalled and it indicated TBird was installed but no icon on desktop and no indication of it in Ubuntu installed software, just to discover the icon was in the same Applications directory lol so I moved it to favorites.
    Well now we have a different situation here!!! It is now showing no account and I entered the proper settings including my password and like before checked off the blue box "remember password including using Auto detect and after hitting re test and save my emails started downloading.I moved the entire folder prior to the uninstall and purge and as it ended up their instructions as per your provided link were similar to what I did but I saved even more. My address book and contacts are empty as it stands but I will restore them later on. Most likely there was a way I got them there in the first place before my dual boot so I will look into this as well.
    One thing is for sure and that is IF Thunderbird was working before with the settings I had, they were most certainly correct! Obviously the software got corrupted and this likely started several months ago getting progressively worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast