what you have configured in hard raid is seen by the OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 install on Dell R710 with RAID-10

Quote Originally Posted by lawadm1 View Post
    Onto my next issue...

I have Ubuntu server installed with a hardware RAID-10 (PERC H700) setup.
    The RAID-10 is configured: 1 virtual drive with 6 physical drives at 4 TB each.
    Span 0 (Drive 0 and 1)
    Span 1 (Drive 2 and 3)
    Span 2 (Drive 4 and 5)

When I run fdisk -l I receive the following results:

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 2203647 2201600 1G EFI System
    /dev/sda2 2203648 6397951 4194304 2G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 6397952 23438817279 23432419328 10.9T Linux filesystem

My question is how do I get each physical drive to show up as a separate drive? Or since it's a RAID 10 setup, is drive 0 and 1 a single drive, 2 and 3 a single drive, 4 and 5 a single drive?

Additional info:
    NAME HCTL TYPE VENDOR MODEL REV SERIAL TRAN
    sda 2:2:0:0 disk DELL PERC H700 2.10 00a77c0b0f3be89e2d00ba585bb0bc82
    sr0 0:0:0:0 rom Optiarc Optiarc DVD RW AD-7590S 1.02 Optiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7590S ata
    I'm really sorry I didn't see this earlier. Been quite busy working and had the day off today.

I have a Dell PE T720 with dual Xeons... Mine has 18x 2.5" SAS/SATA Hotswap bays.

The Dell PERC H700 used to only support 2TB drives. With the newer firmware it recognizes up to 8TB drives. Make sure your firmware is up to date.

The PERC controllers don't support JBOD mode, but I found a work-around to get around that to pass through the drives individually. In the PERC BIOS setup, select each drive as a single drive RAID0 array. That will pass the drives through to the OS individually.

I really recommend that to all Users using that hardware. Years of experience with Dell and Linux has shown me that doing it that way opens up so much more in possibilities in what you can do with your storage.

I went through my hardware RAID, mdadm, LVM2, then ZFS phases. I learned a lot with how each grew on each other in data integrity, flexibility and possibilities. With LVM2 & ZFS (both are Volume Managers), you can do a lot of things on a live filesystem! I really like not having to be offline working on things when I can adjust things on the fly. Like being able to replace a failed drive while the system is still up and running, live. You can do all that live, except on the root drive.

You cannot do that on Hard RAID. That is why I evolved to passing drives through, and using the RAID controller as an HBA. There is hacked firmware to flash old PERC's as an HBA, but that's another story.

Plan your system for that, and adjust. You can always add some small drive(s) for your system (OS) that are easier to change out and replace. Make things "modular". Expect things might happen. (They do eventually.) That makes long-term easier and less painless when a disaster happens. It also makes system migration to new releases easier.

I tend to segregate my storage into OS, & data. data I split up into types & mission.

I tend to want to do ZFS-On-Root, and ZFS based storage solutions these days. I've come full-circles with ZFS since I first learned it with OpenSolaris in 2005. That is what I use for most of my storage solutions today, with RAIDZ2 and RAIDZ3.

With 6x 4 TB drives, in RAIDZ3, that's almost 20TB of storage, with the ability to lose 3 drives and still be up and running. And the striping increases I/O performance greatly... Something to think about. RAID 10 with 3 spans, it depends which 2 drives fail, where before it's completely down. You can safely lose 1 drive. With RAIDZ2, I can have 2 drives fail and still be up.

By the way, Dell does have a PowerEdge Ubuntu Repo for some of their offerings... Good to check out if curious.

EDIT:
    I might also mention that I used to work as a Dell, HP and Lenovo Onsite Warranty Tech. And I've personally used Dell PE Server hardware with Windows Server & Linux since 2008. I am also an IT Consultant. Not that I claim to know everything, but I have been "exposed" to a lot of things. Both the good and bad. LOL
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 1 Week Ago at 01:59 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12