Thread: Font Rendering - Blurry/thin fonts

Beans

Font Rendering - Blurry/thin fonts

I've recently installed Ubuntu 23.10 on a Dell XPS 15 9520 (2022 version) with a 1920x1200 display resolution. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't seem like the font rendering looks very good on this machine. If I boot into Windows, fonts seem clearer, so I don't think it is the display itself, but something about font rendering. I've tried messing around with Gnome Tweaks font settings to see if I could find something that looked better, but despite seeing changes, none of the options seems significantly better to me. Am I missing something?

Screenshot from 2024-03-02 15-23-59.png

Thanks,
    Craig

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Font Rendering - Blurry/thin fonts

I had to check, because I run such new/devel sources, but check if this is installed:
    Code:
     rmadison fonts-ubuntu-classic
     fonts-ubuntu-classic | 0.83-6ubuntu2 | mantic/universe | source, all
     fonts-ubuntu-classic | 0.83-6ubuntu2 | noble/universe  | source, all
    the package I refer to is:
    Code:
    sudo apt installfonts-ubuntu-classic
    Also from your screenshot>>>Font hinting to "Slight"

EDIT: If that works for tell apt to hold it, to prevent newer fonts being updated:
    Code:
    sudo apt-mark hold fonts-ubuntu fonts-ubuntu-console
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 2nd, 2024 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Add to for permanent
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Whew. Much better. I'm guessing my previous machine still had the old fonts installed despite being updated to 23.10. This seems much better.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I remember that from testing 23.10 the fonts just did not look good until i added the Classic fonts back.
    Glad to hear your sorted out.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD