Thread: Flickering screen and screen going blank issue

Beans

Flickering screen and screen going blank issue

Hi guys, i recently posted this on the multimedia forum so if anyone in admin can kindly delete it that would great.

My problem. I have a lenovo t570 thinkpad laptop with Ubuntu 22.04.4. My screen began to flicker recently ( a few weeks ago ), so after doing some googeling i discovered that I did not have the correct graphics driver. I have a Nvidia GeForce940MX graphics card. In software updates additional drivers, the recommended driver was Nvidia Server Driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-470-server (proprietary).

After installing the above mentioned and recommended driver, all seemed well however when i use telegram, the flickering makes itself present, and i think this would have been the fourth time now that the screen has gone completely blank which forces me to power off and reboot. When i use VLC media player and i need to skip during a video, the sound turns off temporarily and then returns. Also, during the boot process i get a a number of failed messages on the screen, and sometimes instead of getting my login prompt from light dm, i get the login sound and i get a blank screen with a blinking curser in the top left corner of the screen. These things were not happening before I installed the recommended driver. When i purged the graphics driver, i got the flickering screen issue again only a lot more constantly.

I don't know what to look for so what is the best way to investigate this problem in order to find a solution?s
    Last edited by swangnation; March 1st, 2024 at 10:12 PM. Reason: forgot tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Flickering screen and screen going blank issue

I don't know what told you that the 470 driver was recommended. And why the server one?? I would go with the 535 driver and NOT the server one. nVidia's site says that you can even use a newer one than that, but I prefer to wait until all the bugs are worked out. Additionally, you will also need the 6.1 kernel......any 5.?? kernel will probably not support the 535 driver.

Beans

I'm on 6.5.0-21-generic at the moment and as i explained in the post, it was the recommended driver in the software and updates section in settings, under additional drivers. All i did was follow the recommendation. Thanks for the reply though and i will look into right now seeing i have nothing overly important to do right now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I don't know what told you that the 470 driver was recommended. And why the server one?? I would go with the 535 driver and NOT the server one. nVidia's site says that you can even use a newer one than that, but I prefer to wait until all the bugs are worked out. Additionally, you will also need the 6.1 kernel......any 5.?? kernel will probably not support the 535 driver.

So i installed the nvidia 550 driver. Great. The flickering has stopped but i have another problem. I know nvidia will not save preferences as it anticipates other users using the same computer ( i read that some where in their fine print ) so when i boot the system, sometimes i get a blank screen in which i have to press ALT F6 which gives me a plain login prompt, not the light dm prompt which normally comes up. But my login doesn't work. I keep getting incorrect login. It's only when i reboot that i get the normal light dm prompt and ONLY when i have the charging cable plugged in.

Is there a way around this?