Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KDE Plasma 6

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: KDE Plasma 6

On Arch it just ran in a way I won't accept less than crisp some app's segfault...yada yada.

Dang that's a shame it runs the way it dose for you on Wayland, I hardly notice any difference.. BTW did you see the bridge to X11 under hidden icons on the panel.

Nvidia here as well.
    Code:
    Device-1: NVIDIA GA107BM [GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile] driver: nvidia
        v: 550.54.14
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ganton View Post
    So it's not only me . There's a bug report for Appstream: https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/614
    Perhaps somebody wants to write something there...
    That was solved today 👍

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Now: Anyone know how to disable the "KDE Plasma 6.1 Dev" watermark in the bottom right corner? I feel like I'm running an unregistered version of Windows here.
    I took a look at the source a couple of minutes ago and figured this one out:

Edit your ~/.config/kdeglobals file and add this under the "[General]" section:

Code:
    HideDesktopPreviewBanner=true
    Restart plasma and the Dev banner message will no longer be overlayed on your wallpaper.

Later!

Beans

Anyone else have an issue with the Open File dialog being broken?

If I go to any website, for instance imgur.com, and click the New Post "Upload File" button when using a chromium based browser (which uses the system/DE file dialogs), I get a dialog box like this:

It populates the file name with "Documents". Even removing that file name and changing the filter to "All files" will not show any files.

Firefox, which does not use the DE's file dialogs, continues to work fine.

I took a quick look through the KDE Bug List... but I haven't seen anyone else report it yet. I was just wondering if it's only me before I dig further into and report it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Anyone else have an issue with the Open File dialog being broken?

If I go to any website, for instance imgur.com, and click the New Post "Upload File" button when using a chromium based browser (which uses the system/DE file dialogs), I get a dialog box like this:

It populates the file name with "Documents". Even removing that file name and changing the filter to "All files" will not show any files.

Firefox, which does not use the DE's file dialogs, continues to work fine.

I took a quick look through the KDE Bug List... but I haven't seen anyone else report it yet. I was just wondering if it's only me before I dig further into and report it.
    It doesn't happen to me when uploading an image to images.google.com (neither using Chromium or Firefox).

Beans

> It doesn't happen to me when uploading an image to images.google.com (neither using Chromium or Firefox).

Hmmm... I'll need to investigate it more as a system-specific issue then. Thank you for testing from your system; that tracks with the fact that there's no high priority matching bug on the KDE Bug list.

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mahmoud-bahaa View Post
    Nop no ppa of sort yet and it won't even ship with ubuntu 24.04 but I am in progress of builting it on (k)ubuntu 24.04 and this the progress so far:

[*]Qt6 is outdated in ubuntu 24.04 (it has 6.4 while you need 6.5+) The best/easiest option is to either :
    [*]- The easy way: Use qt-online-installer and download/install ONLY qt 6.6 binaries (no need for any other component) https://download.qt.io/official_rele.../6.6.2/single/
    [*]- The hard way: built it from source: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/linux-building.html (had some issue with it so gave up on that)
    This was the easier way for me: Using kde-builder to build Qt 6, and later Plasma 6 (https://community.kde.org/Get_Involv...g_kdesrc-build).

Beans

My file-open issue went away at some point during one rebuild or another of workspace. At this point, Plasma6.1 Dev seems as completely functional and stable as Plasma5 on my system; it's great!

I did find one more issue/fix I thought I'd post here to help anyone else that might be going down the same road:

I noticed that clicking links in my web browser (Vivaldi) which should have launched external apps, was not working. Investigation showed xdg-open itself wasn't working. Looking into that script, I found it has specific entries for KDE 5 and older. So, you need to add logic to handle version 6:

Code:
    open_kde()
    {
        if [ -n "${KDE_SESSION_VERSION}" ]; then
          case "${KDE_SESSION_VERSION}" in
            4)
              kde-open "$1"
            ;;
            5)
              kde-open${KDE_SESSION_VERSION} "$1"
            ;;
            6)
              kde-open "$1"
            ;;
          esac
        else
            kfmclient exec "$1"
            kfmclient_fix_exit_code $?
        fi

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
            exit_success
        else
            exit_failure_operation_failed
        fi
    }
    After that, lauching external apps from links in the browser works fine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234