Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KDE Plasma 6

Beans

Re: KDE Plasma 6

Success! At least, it all built successfully. I'll test it out tomorrow afternoon, as I have other projects going on tonight.

I noticed some additional pre-reqs for the plasma-desktop package which people might need to install. I compile a lot of projects from source, but I'd never needed these before:
    Code:
    sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev xserver-xorg-input-libinput-dev xserver-xorg-dev
    Another issue I found (this might only affect people who aren't overriding the CMAKE/QT6 paths as I was): Some packages (kdeplasma-addons for one, I think) depend on libicu74... but the Qt6.6.2 install only includes an older version (56, maybe). I just took the ugly hack of relinking the relevant libicu*.so symlinks to my system's *.so.74.2 versions. It worked, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Will give it a try tomorrow!

Beans

And I was finally able to build everything and thank you for all the posts on this thread that helped me out. I did discover on multiple occasions that I was missing a dependency or with wallpapers package the install script was supposed to copy folders that were not there and I just commented out those lines.

The toughest part for me was to get this to run in the end as the typical .xinitrc or XSESSION approach to use the new startplasma-x11/wayland was not working. I stumbled on https://nicolasfella.de/posts/buildi...a-against-qt6/ that led to running:

Code:
    run sudo ./login-sessions/install-sessions.sh
    from the build folder to install a proper session file and my sddm picked it up and I was able to log in.

Some packages that I don't believe have been mentioned here that were needed
    Code:
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev-dev xserver-xorg-input-libinput-dev libxxf86vm-dev
    Also when I was building QT it did compile with Qt PrintSupport but without CUPS. One of the KDE packages on the other hand depended on it and finally I got QT to build CUPS once I also installed
    Code:
    libcpdb-dev
    For the plasma-workspace-wallpapers/CMakeLists.txt it was not able to find SafeLanding, Shell, summer_1am, Volna and one more that I don't find a note about. As the install script is trying to copy non-existent folders then feel free to comment those lines out of the txt file.

Also make sure you have enough disk space. My QT build folder was about 42GB (plus the 4GB tar file) and now I see that my KDE is 36GB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    I went to compile it last night and had it error-out when it got to appstream (47 packages in...):

Code:
    [207/276] Compiling C object src/libappstream.so.1.0.3.p/as-validator.c.o
    FAILED: src/libappstream.so.1.0.3.p/as-validator.c.o 
    ccache cc -Isrc/libappstream.so.1.0.3.p -Isrc/ -I../../src/appstream/src -I/usr/include -I. -I../../src/appstream -Isubprojects/libxmlb/src -I../../src/appstream/subprojects/libxmlb/src -Isrc -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/libxml2 -fdiagnostics-color=always -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Winvalid-pch -std=c11 -O0 -g -Werror=shadow -Werror=empty-body -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=missing-prototypes -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=pointer-arith -Werror=missing-declarations -Werror=return-type -Werror=int-conversion -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=misleading-indentation -Werror=missing-include-dirs -Werror=declaration-after-statement -Werror=format-security -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-error=missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-error=unused-parameter -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=201710L -DAS_COMPILATION -fPIC -pthread -MD -MQ src/libappstream.so.1.0.3.p/as-validator.c.o -MF src/libappstream.so.1.0.3.p/as-validator.c.o.d -o src/libappstream.so.1.0.3.p/as-validator.c.o -c ../../src/appstream/src/as-validator.c
    ../../src/appstream/src/as-validator.c: In function ‘as_validator_check_web_url’:
    ../../src/appstream/src/as-validator.c:411:17: error: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Werror=format-security]
      411 |                 as_validator_add_issue (validator, node, "url-uses-ftp", url);
          |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Are you guys using a specific version of gcc? I was trying with version 13.2.0 & version 14.0.1.

Kcalc & Dolphin build fine.
    So it's not only me . There's a bug report for Appstream: https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/614
    Perhaps somebody wants to write something there...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toomasr View Post
    [...] The toughest part for me was to get this to run in the end as the typical .xinitrc or XSESSION approach to use the new startplasma-x11/wayland was not working. I stumbled on https://nicolasfella.de/posts/buildi...a-against-qt6/ that led to running:

Code:
    run sudo ./login-sessions/install-sessions.sh
    from the build folder to install a proper session file and my sddm picked it up and I was able to log in.

[...]
    Note: In https://community.kde.org/Get_Involv...th_kde-builder we can read some useful information like:

Now it's time to make your built-from-source Plasma session accessible from the SDDM login screen. We will also copy the built-from-source DBus files into a location where they are visible to the system bus. To do this, run the following command:
    Code:
    ~/kde/build/plasma-workspace/login-sessions/install-sessions.sh

Beans

Another thing that might help some people:

After running ~/kde/build/plasma-workspace/login-sessions/install-sessions.sh, per the Getting Involved page mentioned above, I did not see the sessions in my SDDM list. I rebooted, checked the permissions, even moved the .desktop files from /usr/local/share/* to the /usr/share/* directories with the others and they still wouldn't show up in the list of available desktop sessions.

After playing with the Exec= and TryExec= lines to no avail, I finally just took a stab and changed the Name= line to something much shorter. I don't know if it's due to a bug with the SDDM theme I'm using (neoncity) or what, but that's what fixed the problem and got the names to show up in my list.

Now: Anyone know how to disable the "KDE Plasma 6.1 Dev" watermark in the bottom right corner? I feel like I'm running an unregistered version of Windows here.

Beans

This is new and unexpected: I notice that plasmashell tries to connect to www.ecb.europa.eu, when you're searching for things in the launcher. A quick grep of the source reveals it's from code in kunitconversion/src/currency.cpp. I'm not sure why the hell it would be trying to connect when all I was doing is searching for "Spectacle" from the launcher, though. It seems like this should really be something we ought to have an option to disable up front.

Other misc things I've noted:
    * Logout: trying to logout from Wayland with Nvidia 550.54.14 drivers (RTX 2070 Super) ended up just blurring both my screens and not showing me any options... It doesn't seem to time out, and there's no way to get out of it short of flipping to a TTY and restarting SDDM.
    * Wayland: X11 works great... Wayland's still a stuttery mess after letting it run for a few hours. Playing Netflix became unwatchable on either monitor due to all the jitter and dropped frames.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Another thing that might help some people:

After running ~/kde/build/plasma-workspace/login-sessions/install-sessions.sh, per the Getting Involved page mentioned above, I did not see the sessions in my SDDM list. [...]
    I could see the new options, although "empty" (with no label). In https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_6 we can see:

Known upstream issues, no fix yet:
    For built-from-source dev sessions, SDDM displays empty/incorrect session titles
    Fixed in SDDM after 0.20.0 was released [ https://github.com/sddm/sddm/commit/...2da725ac1ed175 ] [...]

Note: Later, SDDM 0.21.0 was released.
    Last edited by Ganton; March 5th, 2024 at 08:14 PM.

Beans

I believe I too saw an empty item at first, but that went away while I tried other things to fix it, and the options only came back after I adjusted the Name attribute.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This might be the difference then:
    Code:
    apt policy sddm
    sddm:
      Installed: 0.21.0+p22.04+vstable+git20240226.1033-0
      Candidate: 0.21.0+p22.04+vstable+git20240226.1033-0
      Version table:
     *** 0.21.0+p22.04+vstable+git20240226.1033-0 500
    It ran so crappy on arch I reverted back to plasma5
    But still very smooth on neon.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    This might be the difference then:
    Code:
    apt policy sddm
    sddm:
      Installed: 0.21.0+p22.04+vstable+git20240226.1033-0
      Candidate: 0.21.0+p22.04+vstable+git20240226.1033-0
      Version table:
     *** 0.21.0+p22.04+vstable+git20240226.1033-0 500
    It ran so crappy on arch I reverted back to plasma5
    But still very smooth on neon.
    Yes, that's likely it since I have the 0.20.0-2ubuntu1 package from the Ubuntu devel repos currently installed.

When it ran crappy on Arch, was that using Wayland? I have previously seen Wayland with Plasma5 occasionally acting like it has no hardware accelleration (nVidia driver problem, most likely), but it would not do it on every boot.

Due to the jitter and multimonitor vs. flameshot issues I was having, I'm using Plasma6 with X11 at the moment. Other than the logoff bug I mentioned previously (maybe some other package I need to build?), it seems to be solid.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast