Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

Beans

Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

Hi all,

I have thousands of old photos captured world-wide in the past. Some of them are digital photos and some of of them are hardcopy photos. I have no problem converting the hardcopy photos to digital on smart phone. But how to store the old photos is really my headache?

Currently I create digital slideshows on them and upload the slideshows to YouTube for sharing. But there will be hundreads of digital slideshows to be created.

Now I'm searching for a better solution. Could you please shed me some light? Thanks

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; February 29th, 2024 at 09:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

There will be multiple workflows suggested.
    This is based on my own recent research into different tools in a toolchain.
    I assume that you prefer to keep your photos collection(s) private on your desktop rather than in the cloud.
    The keywords you use are

thousands of old photos,
    smart phone,
    digital slideshows,
    sharing
    YouTube
    hundreds of digital slideshows to be created.

There are many paths you can take. This is just one ideas dump.

1. Operate on a desktop rather than smart phone (I don't use a smart phone).
    2. Explore Zettlr markdown editor which allows images to be embedded into Markdown documents and even audio clips. Note that two directions can be navigated (up/down fragments, and right/left slides).
    3. From Zettlr export your documents as slideshows in reveal.js (built into Zettlr > export).
    4. Use yaml front matter at top of each markdown document to hold variables for inclusion in exported document.
    5. Rather than YouTube (which I avoid) consider registering your own google domain. Then use Hugo templating (also Markdown based) to create and upload private shows (with passwords).
    6. Alternatively consider holding your slideshows in a zerotrust data vault such as tresorit.com and post private links to recipients' to download your custom slideshows.
    7. Consider automation tools if this is a production line. I use basic tools such as actiona which incidentaly has OpenCV functions built in (e.g. searching for match of images).
    8. Consider adding desktop tools such as Shotwell into your workflow.

If you want to enter into photo effects that is extra time play.
    https://es.wolframalpha.com/examples...es/image-input
    Last edited by dragonfly41; February 29th, 2024 at 11:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    There will be multiple workflows suggested.
    This is based on my own recent research into different tools in a toolchain.
    I assume that you prefer to keep your photos collection(s) private on your desktop rather than in the cloud.
    The keywords you use are

thousands of old photos,
    smart phone,
    digital slideshows,
    sharing
    YouTube
    hundreds of digital slideshows to be created.

There are many paths you can take. This is just one ideas dump.

1. Operate on a desktop rather than smart phone (I don't use a smart phone).
    2. Explore Zettlr markdown editor which allows images to be embedded into Markdown documents and even audio clips. Note that two directions can be navigated (up/down fragments, and right/left slides).
    3. From Zettlr export your documents as slideshows in reveal.js (built into Zettlr > export).
    4. Use yaml front matter at top of each markdown document to hold variables for inclusion in exported document.
    5. Rather than YouTube (which I avoid) consider registering your own google domain. Then use Hugo templating (also Markdown based) to create and upload private shows (with passwords).
    6. Alternatively consider holding your slideshows in a zerotrust data vault such as tresorit.com and post private links to recipients' to download your custom slideshows.
    7. Consider automation tools if this is a production line. I use basic tools such as actiona which incidentaly has OpenCV functions built in (e.g. searching for match of images).
    8. Consider adding desktop tools such as Shotwell into your workflow.

If you want to enter into photo effects that is extra time play.
    https://es.wolframalpha.com/examples...es/image-input
    Hi@dragonfly41,

Lot of thanks for your detailed advice.

Currently I'm running OpenShot to create photo slideshows, exporting them as .mp4 video. If I want to share them to friends I just upload that particular slideshow to YouTube. I can create features and add narration as well as background music to the slideshows. The complete workflow has been working for me for sometimes without problem.

I need to retain the photos on my computer not uploading them to Cloud. Besides I won't use smart phone to do the job.

Now I'm searching for a new way, if any.

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; February 29th, 2024 at 02:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/01/05/ti...e-and-archival is what I've been doing for a long time. Early on, I tried to use specific programs and when those programs disappeared or became otherwise useless to me, I lost all the metadata I'd been adding.

I have a slide and negative scanner to digitize most photos, except those from when I was kid with 110 camera. Those are better scanned at 1200 dpi on the flatbed scanner. I was able to scan the slides from my father's photos taken in the 1950s in some interesting parts of the world.

For sharing, I find there are different audiences. Family is only interested in family photos. They don't care about 300 photos from my latest hiking trip somewhere remote. Of course, the people on that trip, might be interested in the "best" from that trip, usually great scenery with one of them in the photo. Family doesn't care about trip acquaintances.

I self-host a gallery website which can be used to search by filename or metadata or location - I add GPS coordinates, along with country, province, city/area, subject information to the EXIF when that's easy. For the last 15 yrs, I've been adding all metadata to the EXIF of the files.

My gallery software is a customized version of My Photo Gallery from around 1997 written in perl. Over the years, I've looked at others, but they haven't impressed me. My Photo Gallery keeps the original photos and all resized/thumbnails/metadata in separate directories. I've always had an "untouched original" mandate for any gallery software.

After I installed NextCloud, I added a photo manager for it and pointed it at a read-only mount with my 30K photos. It took a few days to index everything. I wasn't impressed. For software to be so very bad at searching files is an embarrassment. There are some really fantastic photo addons for NextCloud, but they all seem to choke on the amount of photos I have. I do like how NextCloud Maps will pull GPS data and place photos on the world map it has. Combined with GpxPod addon for GPX track files, it is nice to see where and when I was in the world. Of course, I only use GPX tracks when I'm traveling, never at home. GpxMotion and Memories are good NextCloud addons too. The NextCloud-Maps addon can't seem to handle all the photos, but what it does handle is nice - at least locally.

The big issue with NextCloud is that my original photos are large and not optimized for web viewing. Waiting 45 seconds for each photo to load is just too long.

For slide shows, I'll just hardlink the original files into a slideshow directory and use feh or geeqie to display them.

As my younger family members get older, I could create "this is your life" slideshows just for them. I generally add the people in a photo to the filename, so using find would make it easy to create hardlinks and a person specific slideshow. Hummmmm.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you are commited to your workflow with YouTube, as I understand you are exploring local methods for holding and delivering your mp4 objects which runs on desktop.
    Recently I started experimenting with eXistDB. You can store mp4 objects in that database. You will need to understand how to build collections and use say WebDav to upload to eXistDB. I have Krusader file manager installed and objects in any panel (such as ~/Photos) can be easily uploaded using Tools > New Network Connection > protocol WebDav. But this is just one line of thought. You can of course try different desktop servers (another example MongoDB) but eXistDB has good reviews.
    The next task you alluded to is automating hundreds of slideshows and whenever there is an automation or batch requirement I try Actiona as an orchestrator (client) to oversee and manage multiple processes. I still think that you should experiment with Hugo/Zettlr/Markdown/Reveal.js. I am not a fan of YouTube with its ads and other distractions.
    Finally if you want to put your photos into time capsules for future generations of family consider adding to WaybackMachine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you insist on using video for photos, set the FPS to 1 fps or less. No need to have 25fps eating space for a photo. The audio quality isn't tied to the video frame rate.

Seems there should be a way to add an image to an audio file. I've seen this with audiobooks many times. I haven't looked up how to do it. Probably in a tag editor, like EasyTag.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Seems there should be a way to add an image to an audio file.

Reveal.js as suggested earlier.
    https://github.com/tgogos/reveal.js_photo_slideshow

Added links

https://revealjs.com/backgrounds/
    https://revealjs.com/speaker-view/
    https://www.linkedin.com/learning/re...-presentations
    Last edited by dragonfly41; February 29th, 2024 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Javascript is a complete NO-GO for me as a part of a gallery. Too many issues, poor security, flaws.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    https://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/01/05/ti...e-and-archival is what I've been doing for a long time. Early on, I tried to use specific programs and when those programs disappeared or became otherwise useless to me, I lost all the metadata I'd been adding.

I have a slide and negative scanner to digitize most photos, except those from when I was kid with 110 camera. Those are better scanned at 1200 dpi on the flatbed scanner. I was able to scan the slides from my father's photos taken in the 1950s in some interesting parts of the world.....
    Hi,@TheFu
    Lot of thanks for your advice and your time spent to help me. Hererinbelow are my reply:-

1)
    I can't browse your link;
    Finally it popup:
    Code:
    This site can’t be reachedblog.jdpfu.com took too long to respond.
    Try:.....
    2)
    For family photos I have a private website. Visitors can only login with password to browse this website. But who will maintain this private website in long term?

3)
    I won't put my old photos to Cloud

Actually my current method, converting the digital photos to slideshows, aleady is a good solution. But there are still hundreds of .mp4 files created. If converting 1,000 digital photos to a big slideshow, I don't think the visitor will have interest to browse it, a big file.

Following links are 2 examples of my slideshows created;

1)
    Counties in northern California, USA - Part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWx6LF3eCCg
    language: English, Chinese (2 dialects)
    text: English, Chinese

2)
    Dusseldorf, Germany - Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSUkOjZgrJg
    language: German, English, Chinese (2 dialects)
    text: German, English, Chinese

But I'm still searching "would there is a better way" ?

Regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    If you are commited to your workflow with YouTube, as I understand you are exploring local methods for holding and delivering your mp4 objects which runs on desktop.
    Recently I started experimenting with eXistDB. You can store mp4 objects in that database. You will need to understand how to build collections and use say WebDav to upload to eXistDB. I have Krusader file manager installed and objects in any panel (such as ~/Photos) can be easily uploaded using Tools > New Network Connection > protocol WebDav. But this is just one line of thought. You can of course try different desktop servers (another example MongoDB) but eXistDB has good reviews.
    The next task you alluded to is automating hundreds of slideshows and whenever there is an automation or batch requirement I try Actiona as an orchestrator (client) to oversee and manage multiple processes. I still think that you should experiment with Hugo/Zettlr/Markdown/Reveal.js. I am not a fan of YouTube with its ads and other distractions.
    Finally if you want to put your photos into time capsules for future generations of family consider adding to WaybackMachine.
    Hi@dragonfly41

Whether you meant;

Vitamins for your Applications
    https://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html

Regards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast