Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

D3.js should cover such requirements. Mapping media object, travel nodes, metadata ..

One example.

And here is a random walk based on your earlier examples ..

With some caution in kicking off another thought vector, your list of vectors takes us into the domains of context vectors and vector databases.

I first met early developers (product written in lisp) around 2000 in U.S. visit.
    Today, explore Milvus. Vector database.
    https://github.com/milvus-io/milvus
    https://github.com/towhee-io/example...h_engine.ipynb
    https://milvus.io/milvus-demos/
    https://github.com/tropy/tropy
    https://phdprogress.com/organising-a...os-with-tropy/
    https://tropy.org/
    https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/071...ne-thing-files
    https://www.dpreview.com/tag/one-thing-series
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion...e-library-item

Zotero artwork
    https://libguides.libraries.wsu.edu/...8677&p=5514196

P.S. I should add to this curated list that I have Internet Archive installed as desktop app and I have just launched that, search "travel" and here is a bunch of YouTube clips .. Mirrortube: Mirrored YouTube Videos

Last edited by dragonfly41; March 3rd, 2024 at 12:28 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post

Perhaps what you are looking for is simply using Zotero which can hold all your YouTube links plus notes in a private or public collection. Zotero installs into your Brave browser(as connector) and Zotero runs in your desktop. Then there are several extensions to explore. It is quite powerful. in particular Python can index your creations to add to Zotero. Your building of Zotero collection(s) can be automated.
    Yes, my immediate need is to organize all YouTube links created. I'm now holding all links on a text file.

Where can I find document or video relating to the use of Zotero? All found by me on searches are its instalation. Thanks

Meanwhile my eXistDB experiments continue. I will publish these experiments when I'm finished.
    Thanks

Regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post

- snip -

The world is huge. Can't see all of it. I made a mind-map for the places I wanted to prioritize and where I'd already been when I was traveling multiple months of the year. I need to find that mind-map. Found it. Travel-Places_to_visit_and_do.mm Used Freemind. Last time it was touched was 2021, which makes since. Haven't traveled overseas since pre-COVID.

- snip -
    The World is huge. It is correct. I don't expect creating ONE video covering all my old photos captured in the past.

If I can't find a better solution. I would stick on my present solution creating photo slideshows. It is not simple nor straight-forwards.

Applications applied to create one slideshow video;
    OpenShot/ShortCut
    Inkscape
    Libre Office
    Libre Draw
    Text to speech app
    Text Editor to create tranparent and funny texts
    GIMP
    etc.

It will take 1 or 2 days to finish creating ONE slideshow video, depending on its quality which I need to achieve. I'm still improving my technique daily.

My early photo slideshow video was very simple. You can refer to my old slideshow below;

1992 carnival festival (Nottingham UK)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4TN9xgsJo

without text description nor oral narration

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; March 3rd, 2024 at 12:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I need a simply lookup table of data, that is decoupled from the files, I use vimwiki.

I don't use it for photos, but I do use it for movies and watched TV shows. These are for those things I never want to bother with again - hence it is called "never_again". Every once in a while, I'd find myself watching a movie I'd already seen and never wanted to bother with again. There are a bunch of bad movies out there ... or those that get released under multiple titles trying to find an audience.
    My text DB, holds multiple tags and is similar to YAML, but my scripts to search it are just egrep commands. For my needs, just the title, alternate titles and release year would probably be enough. I usually add something to let me remember why I bothered before, so I don't do it again. Here's an example,
    Code:
    - title: Back_Roads
      year: 2018
      actors: [ Jennifer Morrison ]
      description: Tubi version; A young man cares for his younger sisters after their mother is imprisoned for murdering their abusive father. When he strikes up an affair with a married woman, long-dormant family secrets bubble to the surface.
      tags:
    With the egrep script, I can query based on any of those things and others from Recoll searches which know about the video metadata too. The only time I see things again now is if I actually want to see them. I tried using the media center software to handle this, but it doesn't. The indentation means it is part of the previous "title" record, so I really can add as many varied lines/tags as I'd like, as long as there isn't anything in the first column. Grepping files is fast until they become huge. 100K lines is nothing. Right now, it has about 12K lines, so I have lots of room.

There are lots of ways to store extra information about things. Text processing is built into Unix. There are 50 text processing commands already on every Unix system, so why not master those and be able to create your own DB?

I also have a text list of music playlists.
    Code:
    M3U_FILE="$HOME/bin/m3u_files.dat"
    The script that I use to play those playlists quickly can also update the list of playlists.
    Code:
    if [ "$SEARCH" == "-u" ] ; then  
       /usr/bin/find $MUSIC -type f -iname \*m3u 2>/dev/null | tee "$M3U_FILE"
       echo "INFO: Done updating "$M3U_FILE" "
       exit 0;
    fi
    Very simple. That .dat file is just a list of files from a specific directory tree that end in m3u (i.e. a playlist). I like scripts that can self-update their data, especially when it is so easy. 1 line from that .dat file:
    Code:
    /d/D7/Music/New_Age/George_Winston/Autumn/vorbis-q6/George_Winston-Autumn-vorbis-q6.m3u
    So, I'm likely to search on "Autumn" or "Winston" when I'd like it played:

Code:
    $ m-search Autumn
    0: /d/D7/Music/Music-Best/New_Age/George_Winston/Autumn/vorbis-q6/George_Winston-Autumn-vorbis-q6.m3u
    1: /d/D7/Music/New_Age/George_Winston/Autumn/flac/George_Winston-Autumn-flac.m3u
    2: /d/D7/Music/New_Age/George_Winston/Autumn/vorbis-q6/George_Winston-Autumn-vorbis-q6.m3u
    a: play all
    Select number: 2
    Now I'll be able to listen to a great album this morning. The "Music-Best/" directory system ends up on my phone for travel. Can't hold everything. I rip from CD to lossless flac. Never want to do that again. q6 vorbis is excellent quality. Most importantly, I cannot tell the difference between q6 and flac music.

Anyways, there are lots of options that keep your photo metadata completely under your control and easy to find things.
    My photo gallery software can store comments about the photo. That's where I put extra tags. These comments are stored per-photo, but in a separate file, in a separate directory area. So, if my original photos are in gallery/{YYYY}/, then the extra stuff like thumbnails, and resized photos are kept in photodata/{YYYY}/
    photodata/2017/1130-Zodiac_Cruise/comments/048_Nieces_n_Uncle-Glacier.jpg.txt
    My webapp searches include the image names and the contents of all txt comment files. There are also "descriptions/" files, but those are created in the webapp administration GUI, which is a pain to use. I treat the description and comment files exactly the same.

photodata/2017/1130-Zodiac_Cruise/ contains:
    Code:
    $ ls
    1024/  640/  800/  comments/  descriptions/  log.txt  thumbnails/
    You can guess what each does. Photos get scaled automatically - either by first view or through a weekly batch script. I only pre-generation 1024-size images. These are good enough for screen viewing on any devices I have and are 10x smaller than the originals.
    Code:
    7.7M    photodata/2017/1130-Zodiac_Cruise/1024/
    692M    gallery/2017/1130-Zodiac_Cruise/
    Size matters.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Where can I find document or video relating to the use of Zotero? All found by me on searches are its instalation.

I will leave the installation instructions to read from Zotero site.

Regarding your question the best reference point is the Zotero forum.

I searched "YouTube citations in Zotero" .. and there are discussions in Zotero forum.

And here is another explanation.

On the other points about analysing large datasets of metadata text there is yet another tool which might help although certainly the tools discussed in earlier posts are very powerful - recoll and egrep. Another app (GUI) is SearchMonkey.

The suggested tool to investigate is AntConc part of a powerful toolset. It comes from a professor in linguistics based in Japan.

Introducing AntConc
    https://www.laurenceanthony.net/software/antconc/

This allows pure text files to be analysed as corpora.
    A helicopter view of all words in a created corpus (of metadata for the entire cluster of presentations) can be analysed.

Another part of the Swiss army knife of tools.

Tutorial.

I have just downloaded AntConc 3 series into my latest Ubuntu 22.04 desktop. i have used this in earlier desktops.
    But if you find other tools work then regard this as another experiment in metadata wrangling.
    AntConc introduces the field of corpus linguistics and can apply to your English and Mandarin corpora.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; March 3rd, 2024 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will just add in this slot (due to double posting) that once you have a library of Zotero citations you can quote them in separate documents (LibreOffice for example) or email messages. That is the purpose of citations.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; March 3rd, 2024 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Another double post

Beans

Hi all,

I think I should target at creating an attractive website for embedding the YouTube links of all my photo slideshows.

In the past I have created following 5 webistes for presenting my photos captured worldwide:-

phgallery1.reynoldstocks.com
    phgallery2.reynoldstocks.com
    phgallery3.reynoldstocks.com
    phgallery4.reynoldstocks.com
    phgallery5.reynoldstocks.com

but not very successful. I just leave them running on Internet without much effort injected to update and upgrade the websites.

Now I found the way creating photo slideshows on my old photos. Up-to-now it is a wonderful solution to me for publishing my old photos. I think I should inject my time and effort creating a private website to embed all the YouTube links of the photo slideshows.

How to create an attractive private website I'm still searching information on Internet? There are many suggestions on Internet. Which of them shall I follow?

Today, I just finished building following photo slideshow and upload it to YouTube.

Stockholm "Capital of Sweden"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTYiAfYGiFQ

with short text title on each photo.
    2 text languages: English and Chinese
    3 oral speeches: English and Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin dialects)

Background music:
    Serenade composed by Shubert
    Piano version

The wonder of photo slideshow is able adding video on the master video. Following link is an example:-

Civitella del Tronto (Italian)

I Borghi più belli d'Italia (Italian)
    The most beautiful village of Italy

YouTube link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRpy_de8P4Y

3 languages ==》 Italian, English, Chinese
    4 oral speeches ==》Italian, English, Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin dialects)

Background music:
    Torna A Surriento (Italian)
    Come Back To Sorrento

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Be careful what you share. I got a stalker that way. Also, web indexing will happen and next thing you know, your photos are being used in commercial work without your permission. A trivial password will stop most web-crawlers. If you want people to find everything using common web-search tools, but not get great resolutions (perhaps limit them to x320 resolutions), then you can setup the full resolution (or web-optimized 1024 sized versions) behind a password area, but have low-quality, smaller, versions in the main site for the web-crawlers.

Be careful using copyrighted music. The fines can be huge if you don't have permission. You'll need to store all music permission information (which might be a web-page image) somewhere. Watch out for music licenses that don't say "perpetual". You probably know these things.

Lots of websites have pointers to youtube videos. None have jumped out at me. For example, https://www.irongeek.com/ has links to IT Security Conference videos. He's been doing it for over 15 yrs. I first met Adrian in 2008 at a conference. He starts with an event list of videos and links again to a single-page on his website for a specific video https://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=...urer-tuan-phan where he adds the abstract/summary.

The trick is to let people find you and the information, but not make it too busy. Nobody wants to see a 4x4 grid of images when they only want to see 1-2 specific images. Guess it matters greatly on the audience and their reason for watching. All the jokes about being invited over to someone's home to see vacation photos definitely apply.

Also decide if you want to allow ping-backs or comments from the public. On my nearly dead blog, some of the best stuff is in the comments for a few articles. Everyone has a slightly different viewpoint, if not completely different.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My suggestion is to design your delivery to be dynamic. That is reflecting the interests and traffic of visitors. I for one am not interested in a multi language mix of commentaries. I might not require commentary. I might prefer large fonts. I might not want to use YouTube and so on. So capture up front your viewers' preferences (with their permission to save them as most privacy aware sites do today) then fire up a custom show for each viewer. Personalisation. So you might read viewer's preferences then automatically (based on viewer preferences) fire up a viewing session only for the period of viewing. If there are no views in play there are no servers to pay for. Heroku is good for firing up dynos. Platform as a Service. PaaS. don't follow in the ruts of YouTube. Be different. If you want to push your content to say registered viewers consider a zerotrust data vault to direct links to registered viewers.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; March 7th, 2024 at 11:07 PM.

Beans

My only target is retaining my old photos, able easily found by me and shared of my past travels to friends. I'm not interested attracting other users on Internet.

I don't think hackers are interested on the video of my old photos. There are many of similar photos on Internet. Nether they have much to do on my video upload to YouTube.

Regarding the background music on my video, they are classics and the composers alread died long time ago.

I have friends worldwide. They are Chinese, British, American, Canadian, French, German, Italian, Swede etc. therefore I need video in multi-languages, giving them a respect if I can speak their languages. The photos were captured in their countries.

Following video is another example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSUkOjZgrJg

Dusseldorf, Germany - Part 1
    Düsseldorf, Deutschland – Teil 1 (German)

include:
    Königsallee and Erkrath
    enthalten (German)
    Königsallee und Erkrath (German)
    Last edited by satimis; March 8th, 2024 at 08:50 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast