Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

From satimis
    Whether you meant;

Vitamins for your Applications
    https://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html
    Indeed, yes.

From TheFu
    Javascript is a complete NO-GO for me as a part of a gallery. Too many issues, poor security, flaws.

Point well taken and registered. Snakes and ladders. I am rethinking how to build a secure frontend (sans javascript) based on Java. HaXe is one useful tool. I have switched from Jetty to Tomcat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    From satimis

Indeed, yes.
    eXist-db is completely new to me.

Just found;
    First Steps with eXist-db 2.0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvMau2aHRDo

Although it is quite old. Can it help me to start?

I also found;
    eXist-db documentation
    https://exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/documentation

What I'm interested to know is the use of this application?

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What I'm interested to know is the use of this application?
    Unlike other databases such as SQL etc. eXistDB is a NoSQL database.
    Unstructured content can be archived as collections. If you refer back to earlier notes I posted in this thread you can upload (either eXistDB in your desktop or eXistDB on a remote server instance) collections. Sample applications can be installed. Such as Shakespeare works.
    The broad idea is to provide a repository of your thousands of photos (or other object such as commentary). What I did to install locally was:
    Create a desktop folder such as ~/eXistDB
    Download an install exist-installer-6.2.0.jar
    Start the *.jar file and thereafter better to follow documentation.

I mentioned earlier one game plan I personally use to leverage Krusader to use WebDav but there are multiple ways by command line / Python to drive eXistDB, leveraging xQuery.

sudo apt install krusader

I am looking to install eXistDB on local and remote servers for various experiments.

In short it answers your opening quest for a photos repository (local and remote). Delivery to a user client app (on mobile or desktop) in the next experiment but I do not sport a bells and whistle smart phone. It will be a desktop client. Secure - sans javascript as per theFu concerns. But smart phones UI can be emulated on desktop dev for test purposes.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; March 1st, 2024 at 02:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    1)
    I can't browse your link;
    Finally it popup:
    Code:
    This site can’t be reached blog.jdpfu.com took too long to respond.
    Try:.....
    Well, it might be offline for 3 minutes a day around midnight (local time)
    OR
    you may happen to be on a subnet that has attacked some of my servers, so it is blocked from all access. You can try the wayback machine. The linked article was created years ago, so a copy or 50 would be there. When google provided their google-cache, that would have been the easier way.

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Following links are 2 examples of my slideshows created;

1)
    Counties in northern California, USA - Part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWx6LF3eCCg
    language: English, Chinese (2 dialects)
    text: English, Chinese

But I'm still searching "would there is a better way" ?
    I started watching that youtube link, but it is confusing to me. Fort Bragg is in NC and was renamed to Fort Liberty last year. https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-need-to-know/ Ask anyone related to the US military anywhere in the world and they will know about the NC Army base. It is huge.

Searching just for "Fort Bragg", without any state, points to the NC location. It is odd that a "Fort" would have been named the same in two places controlled by the US. Cities are commonly named the same around the US ... there must be 15 "San Jose" cities here and there's a Paris, Tx but having 2 military cities based on old Fort names does seem odd to me. Adding clarification could be useful to prevent confusion.

Many of the photos weren't up long enough for my tastes.Even 2 seconds longer for each, after the slide-in effects would have been helpful.

Another idea - have you considered using multiple audio tracks to keep the English and Mandarin separate? Does youtube support that? https://support.google.com/youtube/a...13338784?hl=en Just a thought.

I'd probably use captions/subtitles for the text, so the images get more screen time, but I can see why doing it as you have makes sense too.

Seeing what you've done, that does give me lots of ideas for some of my trips. Thanks for sharing.

Beans

Can the hard copies with a scanner to the file type of your choosing. You can then back them up to a USB drive (Ideally two for safety).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Can the hard copies with a scanner to the file type of your choosing. You can then back them up to a USB drive (Ideally two for safety).
    Thanks.

I have no storage problem. I store all photos on a 4TB hard drive on 2 computers, the hard drives solely for storage without OS installed. So in case if one of them broken down I still have the 2nd hard drive. Additionally I retain another copies of all photos on an external USB SSD.

What I need is an easy way finding the photos ? How to classfy their storage of thousands of photos

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to classfy their storage of thousands of photos
    That depends entirely on how you want to find them. There are multiple types of queries, so you'll need to pick the most common and make the others possible, if not easy.

For me, the date and event/location matter the most, so my directory structure is laid out with those things.
    WaybackMachine link, if the already provided link doesn't work for you. https://web.archive.org/web/20210502...e-and-archival

Of course, I want some information about the photo subject, so that's in the filename. for example,
    gallery/2017/1126-Torres_del_Paine-Overview/425-Guanaco-baby-best.jpg

Inside the EXIF data for that photo,
    Code:
    $ photo-data gallery/2017/1126-Torres_del_Paine-Overview/425-Guanaco-baby-best.jpg 
    ================
    File Name                       : 425-Guanaco-baby-best.jpg
    Date/Time Original              : 2017:11:26 16:41:34
    Time Zone City                  : (not set)
    City                            : Torres del Paine
    Sub-location                    : Condor Views
    Country-Primary Location Name   : Chile
    GPS Position                    : 50 deg 56' 52.45" S, 72 deg 42' 43.28" W
    photo-data is a tiny script I wrote that filters out all the EXIF I don't need, leaving just the parts that matter. It is just egrep and sed of exiftool output. EXIF allows comments, which can hold lists of descriptive terms for a photo, if you need those. Professional photographers need about 20 other things - day/night/dusk/dawn, sun/clouds, rain, snow, moon, animals, plants/flowers, water (lake/ocean/stream/river/colors), buildings, if any, construction type, .... think if you were selling stock photos and had 1M photos with different subjects. Say the client wants to convey modern, rural, living. How would you need to search to find all the photos you have that would fit those terms? Perhaps a Ranch house, with solar panels, a Tesla vehicle in the barn charging, surrounded by fields or animals.

Fortunately, my needs are easier. See the attachment of the example photo that goes with the exif data. My gallery webapp creates a google-maps link if the photo has GPS information inside it to the exact location. That's fun. The NextCloud maps/gallery addons can do something like that. Some will show thumbnails on a world map and allow zooming in. Seeing hundreds of photos all around a region of the world can be fun, but seeing the photos in order they were taken tells a different story and help retain the experiences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheFu; March 2nd, 2024 at 04:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Well, it might be offline for 3 minutes a day around midnight (local time)
    OR
    you may happen to be on a subnet that has attacked some of my servers, so it is blocked from all access. You can try the wayback machine. The linked article was created years ago, so a copy or 50 would be there. When google provided their google-cache, that would have been the easier way.
    I would try another time

I started watching that youtube link, but it is confusing to me. Fort Bragg is in NC and was renamed to Fort Liberty last year. https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-need-to-know/ Ask anyone related to the US military anywhere in the world and they will know about the NC Army base. It is huge.

Searching just for "Fort Bragg", without any state, points to the NC location. It is odd that a "Fort" would have been named the same in two places controlled by the US. Cities are commonly named the same around the US ... there must be 15 "San Jose" cities here and there's a Paris, Tx but having 2 military cities based on old Fort names does seem odd to me. Adding clarification could be useful to prevent confusion.
    Fort Bragg, California
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bragg,_California

I have been there several times.

Another idea - have you considered using multiple audio tracks to keep the English and Mandarin separate? Does youtube support that? https://support.google.com/youtube/a...13338784?hl=en Just a thought.
    Whether you meant language selection? It would be a little bid complicate? I need 2 identical sites.

I'd probably use captions/subtitles for the text, so the images get more screen time, but I can see why doing it as you have makes sense too.
    It is easy. OpenShot has feature controlling image screen time. Adding text on photos is also easy, even running text. It depends on my time injected.

Seeing what you've done, that does give me lots of ideas for some of my trips. Thanks for sharing.
    I have been doing it sometimes and up to now have more than 100 YouTube links created. It is still increasing that is my headache. I'm now searching hard for a better solution, if any? I have thousands of photos captured in Northern, Western and Southern Europe countries.

Following YouTube link was finished about an hour ago

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el310VbhbV0
    Include:-
    KL Ritz Carlto Hotel
    Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
    Petronas Twin Towers
    Tugu Negara, Kuala Lumpur
    Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur

Background Music
    Swedish Rhapsody

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; March 2nd, 2024 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

.. now have more than 100 YouTube links created. It is still increasing that is my headache
    Perhaps what you are looking for is simply using Zotero which can hold all your YouTube links plus notes in a private or public collection. Zotero installs into your Brave browser(as connector) and Zotero runs in your desktop. Then there are several extensions to explore. It is quite powerful. in particular Python can index your creations to add to Zotero. Your building of Zotero collection(s) can be automated.

Meanwhile my eXistDB experiments continue. I will publish these experiments when I'm finished.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; March 2nd, 2024 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    find gallery/ -type f |wc -l
    I have only 32K photos.

Closest I've been to Kuala Lumpur is Singapore and Thailand. Always wanted to get there.
    Code:
    11-Singapore-Thailand/
    ├── 1121-ATL
    ├── 1122-NRT
    ├── 1123-SIN_Buddha_Tooth_Fattys
    ├── 1124-Wheel_Waterfront
    ├── 1125-Waterfront_Orchard_Rd
    ├── 1126-Botanical_Gardens
    ├── 1127-SIN_to_BKK
    ├── 1128-Walk_Eat-Me
    ├── 1129-Shopping
    ├── 1130-Ayutthaya
    ├── 1201-Chatuchak
    ├── 1202-Palace
    └── 1203-Flights
    The world is huge. Can't see all of it. I made a mind-map for the places I wanted to prioritize and where I'd already been when I was traveling multiple months of the year. I need to find that mind-map. Found it. Travel-Places_to_visit_and_do.mm Used Freemind. Last time it was touched was 2021, which makes since. Haven't traveled overseas since pre-COVID.

There's a snap package (aaaaarg) https://snapcraft.io/freemind . I'm trying not to pollute my Mint desktop with any snaps and always avoid Java stuff. An AppImage would be ideal for this. Snaps don't work on most of my systems, since my HOME directory isn't in the hard-coded place Canonical snaps require and I'm not going to move it for them after over 20 yrs of using NFS HOME mounts. Much too convenient.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast