Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    2,423

    Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    Thinking about buying a system76 laptop but as soon as I'd get it, I'd wipe it and install the latest Kubuntu on it. Has anyone tried this, and are there any issues? Are there any specific system76 customizations/driver stuff that needs to be done after for you to have a similar experience to popOS/Ubuntu ?
    Last edited by user1397; February 22nd, 2024 at 07:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Promiseland
    Beans
    1,621
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

    Re: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    My spouse has a system76 laptop with Xubuntu 23.04.3 installed - never had any issues. I would think you will get similar reliable performance with Kubuntu.
    Cheers,


    The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    2,423

    Re: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    My spouse has a system76 laptop with Xubuntu 23.04.3 installed - never had any issues. I would think you will get similar reliable performance with Kubuntu.
    Appreciate the response! Out of curiosity, what model does she have? and is it intel or AMD?

    I read somewhere someone said that since system76 laptops used coreboot and popOS uses systemd-boot, that installing something like Kubuntu could be tricky as grub would have issues? that doesn't really make sense to me but just wondering.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Beans
    2,883
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

    Re: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    I have previously tried Kubuntu on System76 laptop and did not encounter any issues specific to that combination.

    Quote Originally Posted by user1397 View Post
    Are there any specific system76 customizations/driver stuff that needs to be done
    Just installing the System76 Driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by user1397 View Post
    I read somewhere someone said that since system76 laptops used coreboot and popOS uses systemd-boot, that installing something like Kubuntu could be tricky as grub would have issues? that doesn't really make sense to me but just wondering.
    This is not true. The System76 laptop in my case was one of the coreboot ones and GRUB always worked fine on it.

    Also by the way, the Pop!_OS live USB boots using GRUB even though an installed Pop!_OS system uses systemd-boot.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Promiseland
    Beans
    1,621
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

    Re: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    Out of curiosity, what model does she have? and is it intel or AMD?
    System76 Pangolin (pnp9) from 2013; it has Intel Core i5-3210M and intel graphics; this model was retired by System76 several years ago. Never experienced any issues with it - now running Xubuntu LTS 24.04.4.
    I believe the current Pangolin laptops have AMD APUs
    Last edited by him610; February 25th, 2024 at 11:52 PM.
    Cheers,


    The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    2,423

    Re: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    I have previously tried Kubuntu on System76 laptop and did not encounter any issues specific to that combination.



    Just installing the System76 Driver.



    This is not true. The System76 laptop in my case was one of the coreboot ones and GRUB always worked fine on it.

    Also by the way, the Pop!_OS live USB boots using GRUB even though an installed Pop!_OS system uses systemd-boot.
    awesome, thank you for the insight

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    2,423

    Re: Any issues with Kubuntu on system76 laptops?

    Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    System76 Pangolin (pnp9) from 2013; it has Intel Core i5-3210M and intel graphics; this model was retired by System76 several years ago. Never experienced any issues with it - now running Xubuntu LTS 24.04.4.
    I believe the current Pangolin laptops have AMD APUs
    good to know, thanks!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •