Thread: In which way can I transorm pdf file in ms word doc 97 format?

Beans

In which way can I transorm pdf file in ms word doc 97 format?

under kubuntu 22.04 I have a pdf file and I need to make a ms word doc 97 file to edit
    it under both Libre Office Writer and ms word doc 97.
    If I open this file from Libre Office Writer the file is opened in Libre Office Draw application, which has no option
    to save file as word doc 97 file. In which way can I transorm my file in ms word doc 97 format ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: In which way can I transorm pdf file in ms word doc 97 format?

Get a time machine. Go back to the year 2000. Run old OSes, old programs. Ok, that probably isn't too useful, but I'm only slightly joking. I really think you are stuck, since Word-97 has been dead for over a decade. You could try to load Linux versions from 2000 into a virtual machine and load a word processor from that time that can read-write MS-Word files.

However, going back and forth between MS-Word (any version) and LibreOffice has never been perfect. There are all sorts of things that make the files display differently. They will have different pagination and different fonts, styles, etc. It never really works for other side of the group - Linux or Windows.

You might try running StarOffice from 2000, but I doubt it will run. It was a Java program, I think. While I have some shoes that are from that time, I don't remember so many things from 2000 anymore.

StarOffice ---> OpenOffice ---> LibreOffice

The best answer is to get the person using Word-97 to move to LibreOffice. It is cross platform and F/LOSS.

Beans

Ok, not ms word doc 97, but how to convert to MODERN(no sure which format current now) ms word doc format?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It will depend very much on the PDF itself; some have fonts embedded in them which can be highlighted and copied, others are simply images without those fonts so may not have that option. They may still be possible to get text from using OCR, eg tesseract, though I'm not sure if you can put a PDF through tesseract or if you need to convert the image to, eg, tiff or jpg first.
    I'm not on a Linux box at the moment so can't easily check that or search for other options to at least allow you to extract the text.

Beans

Could you please explain why the pdf file is opened in Libre Office Draw application, but not Libre Office Writer as I need? I suppose Libre Office Writer can open and convert pdf into doc(x) file. But It does not in this case. Maybe in my system some configuration options are wrong ? How to check/fix it ?

Beans

Explained at the libreoffice site/forum at the link below. It wasn't created to be editable originally. You could try modifying a 'pdf' file with software created to modify a 'pdf' file specifically such as Master PDF Editor. Some editing is possible with Draw.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/trying...format/41246/7
    Last edited by yancek; February 22nd, 2024 at 10:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nilovsergey View Post
    Could you please explain why the pdf file is opened in Libre Office Draw application, but not Libre Office Writer as I need? I suppose Libre Office Writer can open and convert pdf into doc(x) file. But It does not in this case. Maybe in my system some configuration options are wrong ? How to check/fix it ?
    PDFs hold images, not just text. If the PDF was created by scanning an image, then there isn't any text, so Draw opens it for editing.
    You do realize that PDF files where never intended to be editable, right? They are for page accurate viewing of specific images. Think magazine layouts, not text content that wraps automatically.

If you want a format that can be edited, don't use PDF. Use a format like RTF, HTML, or one of the editing program native formats at creation time.

Page layout formatting is seldom required to efficiently relay information. Something like HTML is a more portable, editable, choice. I used to work in document management, document creation and publishing. We used PDF files in the printing, since we were creating paper books/magazines that had very specific location requirements for every character, image, on both sides of the page. That job taught me to avoid page layouts when they aren't necessary.

I started using HTML as my preferred "document" format and have been using it for about 25 yrs now. HTML allows text to flow/wrap based on the screen size. Very handy. Extremely cross platform.

Beans

Yes, you can open it in LO's writer and then save it to whatever editable format. Can't guarantee the quality though.

Instead of right clicking, start LO writer, go to File > Open and then go to the folder where your pdf is, in the drop down choose PDF-portable-document-format(writer) See first screenshot.

Once opened, go to File > Save as and pick .odt or .docx. Second screenshot is the pdf file, third screenshot after converting to odt which can be edited with LO writer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 8th, 2024 at 09:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If it doesn't contain "sensitive data" that you don't mind it going online to be processed/converted... There are free online resources to do that:

Example: https://openpdf.com/lp/pdf-to-word.html

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans