Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu Noble - New bootstrap installer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Xubuntu Noble - New bootstrap installer.

Oh dear! Whatever was the point of this change?

Xubuntu has moved away from using ubiquity as the installer application which for me worked without a problem to using the ubuntu-bootsrap installer in the Feb 21 iso which I believe is used already in Ubuntu and I believe is a snap application; correct?
    Having tried this tonight it is a complete failure!
    There is no Install icon on the desktop; you have to search the menu for "install" whereupon a white empty window appears for about 5 minutes with a spinning icon, but doing nothing visible.
    I eventually gave up waiting and aborted the install.
    I did notice that ubiquity is still installable and wondered whether to install that and try installing Xubuntu the previous way using that instead of the bootstrap application.

Has anyone else seen this same behaviour? The iso I downloaded using zsync so it must be a good one.

There does need to be some indication of how to install the OS when booting the new live system with the bootstrap application, and of course, the new bootstrap application also needs to work properly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Xubuntu Noble - New bootstrap installer.

I am trying to remember where I saw this, and I can't, unfortunately. But it was that ubiquity is old, the original developers are no longer involved, no one knows quite how it works, and it's got to a point where it's being held together with brown paper and string, with a bit of glue. If that is true, then I guess it makes sense to replace it with something that's currently under development and maintained.

And, in which case, I can stop reporting that bug about auto-resize and additional drives. Maybe this is why nothing has been done about it.

Now to go and see how badly it works for me...
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I didn't have much of an issue with its installer, but have had issue for a while now on the installed OS.
    Last edited by VMC; February 24th, 2024 at 06:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Oh dear! Whatever was the point of this change?

Xubuntu has moved away from using ubiquity as the installer application which for me worked without a problem to using
    The `ubiquity` installer is deprecated in Ubuntu noble, which was made very clear to Ubuntu flavors (flavor sync meetings etc) back during prior cycles (lunar/23.03 & mantic/23.10 cycle). Only Ubuntu Budgie moved during the mantic cycle to using the `ubuntu-desktop-installer`.. which had benefits for lunar/mantic in that both `ubiquity` and `ubuntu-desktop-installer` ISOs would be created; Ubuntu Budgie had both for 23.10.

Ubuntu Budgie documented their switch from `ubiquity` to `ubuntu-desktop-installer`, with this made available to all Ubuntu flavors.

Lubuntu was already using the `calamares` installer (having done so since cosmic/18.10), and plans continuing with that. Kubuntu will also use `calamares` for noble. Lubuntu offered to assist (where they can) to provide assistance where required if any wish to use `calamares`.

Xubuntu devs discussed `calamares` (Qt5 based) & `ubuntu-desktop-installer` some time ago, screenshots were even created & shared on IRC showing what Xubuntu would look like if using `calamares` but they've opted to using `ubuntu-desktop-installer`.

FYI: Using `ubiquity` may work for now; sorry I don't know.. but it may not work reliably once python3 updates to 3.12 which is still in proposed for now (that is when problems are expected to appear).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I accept what you have all said about ubiquity but to suddenly see no "Install" icon on the desktop was a big surprise to me and the time taken for the bootstrap installer to actually start doing something, a few minutes, other than showing an empty white window is unacceptable and most people would do what I did, ie, give up!

OK, the laptop is pretty old (10yrs) with an Intel i3 cpu and 8G ram, and I was using KVM to create a virtual install but is still very good with Xubuntu and I have no wish to move away from it as my main OS.

Beans
    Distro

Have you opened a bug for this problem? If you put the link here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by corradoventu View Post
    Have you opened a bug for this problem? If you put the link here.
    No, not yet; I was waiting to see what other comments came first. I will try again with another newer iso file from today to see if it is still the same and if it is still a problem I will file a bug.

The iso file from 3 days ago (I think) still used ubiquity so it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I was aware that Ubuntu itself had changed to the bootstrap installer but had not seen any comments about Xubuntu going in that direction.

The biggest surprise however, was the huge amoint of time that the installer just sat with a circulation icon and no activity regarding installing occurring. Might this have been the fact that I was using KVM for a virtual install? If so it's a disaster for me as I use that always when testing new versions of the OSs I'm interested in.

Beans
    Distro

I had the same problem with the ISO dated 2024-02-18 01:57 also after refreshing installer to candidate
    Note: no new ISO available after 18 feb using new installer
    Code:
    corrado@corrado-n2-nn-0220:~$ snap info ubuntu-desktop-bootstrap        
    name:      ubuntu-desktop-bootstrap
    summary:   Ubuntu Desktop Bootstrap
    publisher: Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
    store-url: https://snapcraft.io/ubuntu-desktop-bootstrap
    license:   GPL-3.0
    description: |
      This project is a modern implementation of the Ubuntu Desktop installer,
      using subiquity as a backend and Flutter for the UI.
    snap-id: dLfoSWlQziHta7kJaco3IhnPwGVJ3bIt
    channels:
      latest/stable:    0+git.15cde5fb 2024-02-12 (6) 122MB classic
      latest/candidate: 0+git.b31fab62 2024-02-20 (8) 123MB classic
      latest/beta:      ↑                                   
      latest/edge:      ↑                                   
    corrado@corrado-n2-nn-0220:~$
    Try open bug with ubuntu-bug -> invited to use snapcraft

open this bug on snapcraft:
    https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/xubuntu...k-window/39051
    -> invited to use launchpad:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-de...n/+bug/2054708

I HATE SNAPs!!
    Last edited by corradoventu; February 22nd, 2024 at 04:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have added myself to your bug.
    I have also filed another bug as ubiquity crashed when I installed that to the live session and tried to use that.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/2054717

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have experienced similar behaviour with the Ubuntu ISO installer. Perhaps my USB stick is 1.0 speed when 2.0 at least would be better. But my experience over the last three weeks is a) the blank white screen. b) the white screen eventually loads with a try/install option. c) one daily image lacked the try/install screen altogether. Found an install icon in the Ubuntu matrix. d) the next day's daily ISO had the try/install screen back.

I have found that with this new installer the install (manual partitioning) sometimes fails and the installer easily drops out of the install process leaving just the slide show working. It feels touch & go to complete the install information without the installer dropping out. Perhaps it is a sensitive touch pad.

On another topic I do like the appearance of the accessibility options right at the beginning of the install process. I think that is a good decision.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast