It appears to be solved. The trick was to execute 'sudo update-grub' in the 14.04 OS (sda1). Doing that from any of the other OSs, or a live USBs 22.04 or 20.04, did not change anything. (Bashing-om suggested doing 'sudo update-grub', but the key is doing it in the right OS.)

All the OSs now display in the grub selection menu and all boot correctly.

Surprising is that the key problems encounter with the 22.04 that was an upgrade from 20.04 disappeared as well. The Wi-Fi adaptor is seen and works, and the dual monitor arrangement also works. The monitor problem was clearly involved in the boot process, since booting with the monitor plugged in resulted in the laptop screen black/blank and the monitor working, but booting without the monitor resulted in the laptop screen working and the monitor was not seen when it was plugged in.

I don't quite understand the EFI and legacy mode issue. The firmware boot only has a CSM enable/disable, which I understand is a Compatibility Mode. If that setting was disabled, a boot simply returned to the firmware setup. Regarding EFI, I ran across a directory in /boot that was EFI, so I am wondering if that involves a workaround of the EFI|Legacy issue.

Thanks for all the comments. It really helps, even if they don't provide the solution.