Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building New Computer

Beans

Re: Building New Computer

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    Many of the fans are 80mm and can't be upgraded to 120mm. I wonder if that will provide for sufficient cooling with upgraded components.
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to build with an efficient 65W chip like the 5600G or 8600G on a Bx50 mobo, you can probably get away without case fans as long as the case has decent vents. I've got two 5600G systems and I don't have any case fans. In fact, I can't remember the last time I built with a case fan - I want to say 10-15 years ago.
    Also, 80mm fans can move as much air as a slower 120mm fan (but of course, they make more noise doing it).

And yeah, I keep reusing old cases (even if the panels don't want to stay on) too.

Beans

I am still deciding whether to go with the 5600G or the 8600G. My concern with going with the 5600G is component availability in the future. My concern with the 8600G is higher prices and whether it will work well with Linux.

Beans

Look at the other replies here when something goes really wrong - and decide yourself, do is "this" ready for prime-time or not.

Beans

I am still deciding whether to go with the 5600G or the 8600G. My concern with going with the 5600G is component availability in the future. My concern with the 8600G is higher prices and whether it will work well with Linux.
    The 8600G should work fine with Ubuntu 23.10 or later: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen5-8600g
    Exactly what components are you worried about in terms of future availability? I don't see it as an issue. The only thing with 5600G is that there won't be any newer gen CPU upgrades to Socket AM4, but I don't think that would concern someone who was still using a 15 year old computer as their "daily driver".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    The 8600G should work fine with Ubuntu 23.10 or later: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen5-8600g
    Exactly what components are you worried about in terms of future availability? I don't see it as an issue. The only thing with 5600G is that there won't be any newer gen CPU upgrades to Socket AM4, but I don't think that would concern someone who was still using a 15 year old computer as their "daily driver".
    AM4 will be around as long at AM3 was around. Parts for all computers become constrained over time. I had a job where I was tasked to keep some very old computers running for decades. When we couldn't to it anymore, the service that computer provided to clients was shutdown. Finding 2GB HDDs (the BIOS didn't support larger) was very hard. Motherboards on those systems were built to last forever, but some things would die after 15 yrs and I'd have to search computer junk yards world-wide for parts. There's a huge set of 2nd market dealers out there. Not so much for PCs, but for UNIX systems, they are happy to provide 20MB SCSI-2 HDDs for $600, until they don't have anymore.

For AM4, with a 5600G (there are other "G" models), the upgrades will be CPU only. I doubt DDR4 RAM will get much cheaper, so if you might need it, fill the slots today with the largest amount of RAM you may need in the future. MicroATX might only support 32G-64G. Full-ATX might stop at 64G, but there are models that support 128GB. I have to say, my 5600G aren't RAM or CPU bound when doing normal workloads. It is only when I insist on doing software-based video transcoding that the CPU and all cores get pegged. If I use the iGPU for video transcoding, the CPU is barely used. HW transcoding results for the same output files just isn't as good and there are limited controls over variable bitrates per frame. To get the same quality output, about 50% more storage is needed with hardware transcodes compared to CPU-based transcodes. Also, HW transcodes are 3-6x faster than CPU transcodes. So, for archived video content, I'll have the CPU do the transcoding. For watch-once stuff, I'll use higher bitrates and accept that the output file size will be larger.

For normal use without heavy workloads, a 5600G would be overkill. A B550 motherboard should support Ryzen 2xxx - 5xxxx AM4 socket CPUs. That's a pretty wide range of performance and costs. All use DDR4 RAM, so it comes down to picking the CPU that gets the required performance. For typical desktop stuff, I didn't see any real CPU performance difference between 13000 passmarks (2600) and 19000 passmarks (5600G). I'm still amazed at the performance of a Core i5-8250U laptop, which was around 6000 passmarks last time I checked.

The "passmark" benchmark seems to change every year, to older CPU numbers drop over time. My first Chromebook (Acer C720 w/ Celeron 2995u) had a passmark rating of 1500, which wasn't fast, but it was sufficient to do desktop stuff. Today, that CPU passmark-2024 is 872. The CPU isn't any slower. It is the benchmark that has changed.

Beans

My present computer and the one that just died used DDR2 memory. The 4 GIGs that I have is inadequate. There is no point is upgrading it. What memory that is available is expensive for what I would be getting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My present computer and the one that just died used DDR2 memory. The 4 GIGs that I have is inadequate. There is no point is upgrading it. What memory that is available is expensive for what I would be getting.
    About 3 yrs ago, I gave away all my extra DDR2 sticks to someone local. He only wanted a few, but I needed to get all of them out of here, so I forced him to take all of them. The static bag had at least 10 sticks, maybe 20.

I probably have 50+GB of DDR3 RAM here in MB+CPU+RAM setups looking for a good home. In general, each of them had 8GB, if not 16GB of RAM. The shipping costs more than the MB+CPU+RAM is worth, sadly. Anyone local can buy me a $15-$25 meal and we'll call it even. No shipping offered. Systems with a G3258 and Core i5-750 CPUs remain. The Core i5 requires a GPU. The G3258 has an iGPU, but the Realtek NIC on the motherboard is flakey. I can throw in a low-quality SMC GigE NIC, if that's wanted. Those NICs never did better than 250Mbps, even though they claimed to be GigE.

I do have 16GB of DDR4 3200Mhz RAM that will likely never be used here too. 2x 2x8GB matched pairs. I started with those in my Ryzens. Adding an additional 16GB to a system even with the same manufacturer and part number resulted in unmatched sets so the chip timings were far enough off to make unstable systems until I slowed the RAM settings down to 2600Mhz in the BIOS. After running stable for about a year, DDR4 prices dropped and I did some upgrades, including RAM. Nothing wrong with the 2x8GB sets - they work great, individually, but few people seem to want that amount of RAM anymore, so I'm likely stuck with it.

Too many parts around here, but not enough to make a full system since I reuse PSUs and cases.

Beans

While we are on the topic of computer builds, I could use advise on the following. I have a relatively new unused computer case. Rosewill Challenger S. On my future build I would like to add a USB C port to the front of the case. Any suggestions on how I can do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While we are on the topic of computer builds, I could use advise on the following. I have a relatively new unused computer case. Rosewill Challenger S. On my future build I would like to add a USB C port to the front of the case. Any suggestions on how I can do this.
    What I did was to buy a front panel USB3 dodad. They come in sizes for the old 3.5inch floppy disk position or a larger 5.25inch HDD slot with lots of media adapters (35-in-2), USB2, USB3, and even an eSATA port. I would warn you that all those USB2 devices will slow down booting - perhaps for 3 minutes, if you have any USB booting enabled at all.

https://www.amazon.com/GRAUGEAR-Inte.../dp/B09XV6XDLJ is a little expensive, but should provide the idea.
    Also, I have a 6-10ft long USB3.2 extension cable that is connected in the back (also USB 3.2 port) but sits near my monitor when I'm using an SSD-based USB3.2 storage device.

I have something like this too - https://www.amazon.com/20%C3%9717%C3.../dp/B0CDW16HQV , not the same, but similar. I only have audio, 2 USB3, and eSATA connected. It has 4 USB2 ports and 2 card readers which I used to have connected, but unplugged because checking every possible USB2 device at boot time was really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, slow. I may have understated how slow it was.

For lots of other options, look for "front panel header".
    Also, make certain the motherboard has internal ports for what you need to connect. My B450 has 2 USB3 internal ports at the front of the motherboard, which plug directly into the USB3 front panel - no hub - which can be very important for compatibility of some devices. Not all USB devices work through USB hubs.

Beans

Rosewill Challenger S
    It has 5.25" slots, so something like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/2VR-00G6-00...9SIAERNBKW1664
    As Fu said, be careful with the headers. Some use 19-pin (sometimes called 20-pin though one of the pins is unused) internal USB 3.0 connectors. Your motherboard would need two of those connectors if you're going to use one for the USB 3.0 ports already on the case. Some need a type-c header on the motherboard. The one I linked to uses a USB 3.0 connector along with a SATA power plug to power the type-c port.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast