Thread: Chrome has started consuming CPU in Lubuntu

Beans

Chrome has started consuming CPU in Lubuntu

I have been running Lubuntu on one computer for a few years. Performance has really degraded over the last few months and when I run the qps monitor, I see chrome consuming most of the CPU. When idle the usage does go down. See attached screen print. I ran memtest 86 plus and it passed. How can I diagnose? Could updates to Chrome and Lubuntu require more computer power so this system is getting obsolete? Falkon does run better but it less desirable.

Lubuntu Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Gateway NE71B
    AMD Dual-Core Processor, 1400 MHz
    8 GB Memory

Google Chrome
    Version 121.0.6167.184 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Lubuntu 22.04 - Gateway NE71B laptop, HP Pavilion, Chromebook 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Chrome has started consuming CPU in Lubuntu

I don't use chrome, so can't really advise there (I do use chromium, but given its a snap package it maybe somewhat different).

Have you made any change(s) to chrome, esp. addons.. Are your addons leaking RAM?? as I've had issues before with addons for chromium/firefox that after a number of hours leaked RAM which slowly filled swap & then started causing issues.. The issue only occurred with those extensions installed; so I had a choice of either stop using them, OR manage the issue.. I opted to manage the issue (detecting when leaking reached a point, then just close browser(s), let system unclear used RAM, then restart browser(s)) as I liked what the extensions provided me.

Have you increased swap to something appropriate?; Lubuntu's use of `calamares` means very little swap is used by default; too small for most of my older/resource-limited hardware, thus increasing swap is essential for me (to maintain performance).

Maybe useful
    - swap FAQ https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/swap-...buntu-faq/2591
    - creating swap files https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/how-t...-04-20-10/1959

You can use `free -h` to view RAM quickly; and see the swap line too

Beans

Re: Chrome has started consuming CPU in Lubuntu

I checked memory while the cpu was highly utilized but I think it shows memory as OK See attachment.

It does seem odd to me that it is not using any Swap. I also wonder the "Priorit -2" means.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcman56; February 18th, 2024 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add
    Lubuntu 22.04 - Gateway NE71B laptop, HP Pavilion, Chromebook 3