Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to install Windows 7 to a USB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is there a way to install Windows 7 to a USB?

I've used Linux for many years, and exclusively for the last two. I'm currently running Ubuntu 22.04.3 There are a couple of games that don't work under Wine nor in a VM that I rather miss. I have several distros of Linux on USB drives to play around with. I sometimes think about installing Windows 7 on a USB stick, but the installation disk doesn't have the USB drivers I need. Has anybody succeeded in installing Win 7 to a USB? All the software solutions I've seen require access to an operating Windows computer, and I'm not sure USB was a possible target.

Beans

Re: Is there a way to install Windows 7 to a USB?

Microsoft designed windows in all releases to NOT install to a usb drive. The reason for this is that a user could the potentially use it on more than one computer without paying microsoft the licenting (rental) feel. You don't buy windows, it is licensed which basically means 'rented' and using only one instance of it on one computer. There is software like window to go which made it possible but this was designed for Enterprise or Education versions as far as I know. If you have a bootable DVD/USB with windows installer on it and try to install to a usb drive you will get a message informing you that it is not designed for that. If you have a windows 7 or other windows iso, you can install and use it in virtual software such as virtualbox, vmware or others.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I can install Windows 7 to VirtualBox, but I can't run games there. I was hoping to be able to run Microsoft Train Simulater, but I guess I'll just have to miss it. Well, thank you for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is openrails.org an alternative?

Beans
    Distro

Alas, it's another Windows program. I'll have to see if it works under Wine, but I'm not hopeful. It's also slightly more complicated than Microsoft Train Simulator, and I used to try it out from time to time when I was still using Windows. I never really liked it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Their web page has been greatly updated since I switched to Linux.

Beans

Why can't you install windows 7 in virtualbox and run the program? Have you already tried this and had problems/failure? Did you try a windows forum when this occurred to see if you could get help. Maybe a hardware problem? I noticed doing a brief online search that your game doesn't run well on newer computers or on windows 10. Hope you find a solution, good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can use Rufus to install Windows 7 as Windows-to-Go.
    https://imgur.com/a/jnek0q3
    I have found it a little faster than running Windows off VBox on a USB.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; February 19th, 2024 at 04:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Why can't you install windows 7 in virtualbox and run the program? Have you already tried this and had problems/failure? Did you try a windows forum when this occurred to see if you could get help. Maybe a hardware problem? I noticed doing a brief online search that your game doesn't run well on newer computers or on windows 10. Hope you find a solution, good luck.
    Yes, several years ago I tried running Microsoft Train Simulator in a virtualbox vm with Windows 7 installed and it failed. Of course, the Linux was installed on a USB stick, and now I'm on the metal. Actually it does run on Windows 10, but you have to tweak it. I've only installed Windows 10 long enough to realize I won't use it, but there's a forum where fans discuss such things.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    You can use Rufus to install Windows 7 as Windows-to-Go.
    https://imgur.com/a/jnek0q3
    I have found it a little faster than running Windows off VBox on a USB.
    Now THAT'S interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Thank you for the visual. It's very helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have not stopped buying new USB flash drives. While I still have many from 256MB that only runs rEFInd to full installs & data on 256GB flash drives.

But I wanted to upgrade SSD. I orginally build system with M.2 SSD as NVMe was very expensive back then. But now lower cost NVMe drive was reasonable in comparison to larger SSD. So I put M.2 SSD in an adapter M.2 to USB. It worked so well I bought another SSD & adapter.
    I have full installs fro UEFI boot and data on both.

But old 2006 laptop was required for a bit. I was able to put a BIOS boot stanza on its old HDD to boot M.2/USB SSD. That made old system functional. It has little RAM, so if I accidentally load too much into RAM, it would go to swap & with HDD 2 sec of gray screen. With SSD while I now rarely loaded too much at once, when it swapped, it barely flickered.

Or long way of saying use an external SSD.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast