Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for 1 user / mailaccount Ubuntu mailserver

Beans

Re: Advice for 1 user / mailaccount Ubuntu mailserver

I think that's true for a relatively small proportion of computer users, and an even smaller proportion of Linux users. Call me naive if you will.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Another leak of emails: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2024/02/...stomer-emails/
    The Minnesota-based Internet provider U.S. Internet Corp. has a business unit called Securence, which specializes in providing filtered, secure email services to businesses, educational institutions and government agencies worldwide. But until it was notified last week, U.S. Internet was publishing more than a decade’s worth of its internal email — and that of thousands of Securence clients — in plain text out on the Internet and just a click away for anyone with a Web browser.
    Companies claim to "take security very seriously", but like your money, nobody cares as much about your data privacy as you do.

I'll run my own email server and keep that email off someone else's computer, storage and network, until I become senile and cannot handle it anymore. I'll probably be drooling by then anyway. Same for calendar data. I certainly don't want that on any google/apple connected devices, if I can help it. Secrecy is so ingrained in both those vendors that when they do mess up, it is seldom that anyone is told.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I use Google Calendar. Available everywhere on every device. If someone wants badly to learn that I saw my ophthalmologist last week, I really don't care.
    Yeah, that's what I think, but I do see it as a sport to avoid the big data farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You've lost me. https://mailinabox.email/static/architecture.svg is a simple email server architecture.
    Haha, nice pic!
    I love simple overviews.
    But the reach of port 25 versus 587 is still not clear for me.

Good news is that my new ISP connection is on it's way. It's clear that without blocking port 25 things should go easier.

I am afraid I should be kicked off this forum.
    Since yesterday I no longer have Ubuntu installed.
    With my new to be ISP there is nothing standing in the way. I am going to make it work.

But it's going to be on an Arch Linux (LTS) mail server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by player02 View Post
    But the reach of port 25 versus 587 is still not clear for me.
    Don't now how much simpler it could be explained. Oh well. Sorry.

I am afraid I should be kicked off this forum.
    Since yesterday I no longer have Ubuntu installed.
    With my new to be ISP there is nothing standing in the way. I am going to make it work.

But it's going to be on an Arch Linux (LTS) mail server.
    Arch isn't an LTS, but you'll learn that the hard way. Calling something "LTS" doesn't make it one. Arch is bleeding edge ... and expect some blood every few months if you try to run a server. Arch is a great distro if you can tolerate downtime and broken subsystems. If you like the hands-on nature of Arch, but you also want stability and control, then Slackware is what I'd recommend. I ran Slackware nearly a decade.

We aren't snobs here. Just be certain to post non-Ubuntu OS questions to the non-Ubuntu/Other-OS subforum. postfix, dovecot, and most server things aren't specific to any Linux distro, so how we configure each of those is the same regardless. Arch will have newer/bleeding versions of those packages and will get updates faster. That isn't always good, but you'll learn that too.

"New" is the enemy of "stable."

Rolling releases are painful every week, not every 2-4 yrs. Pick your poison.

Beans

Don't now how much simpler it could be explained. Oh well. Sorry.
    Well, it was not meant as feedback. I have learned a lot from you and Sensei. Thank you very much for that. It's more that Io still don't sufficiently grasp the configs for Dovecot and Postfix. Also what impacts the server to server traffic and when localhost in configs etct. But this is for a great part caused by not taking the time and just copy from web pages and pasting to the command line.
    With my current Arch install on the mail PC I don't even have Xorg or Wayland or a mice configuration. This way I was forced to really look at things.

I saw a lot of things that I didn't notice before (acme record in dns), linking to the right certificates and keys in the config files.
    At this moment authorisation with PAM is something I want to understand better.

I know that LTS is about the Linux kernel (that's why I placed it between brackets).

With such a simple install as I have, I don't expect too much rolling.
    With Arch solving problems can be hard. But perhaps not harder than with Ubuntu for example.

When the problem is in scope the solution is there very quick, because of the one size fits all (through pacman).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, it was not meant as feedback. I have learned a lot from you and Sensei. Thank you very much for that. It's more that Io still don't sufficiently grasp the configs for Dovecot and Postfix. Also what impacts the server to server traffic and when localhost in configs etct. But this is for a great part caused by not taking the time and just copy from web pages and pasting to the command line.
    With my current Arch install on the mail PC I don't even have Xorg or Wayland or a mice configuration. This way I was forced to really look at things.
    "Ubuntu Server" doesn't have any GUI either. Nothing special there.
    BTW, you have found a step-by-step how-to setup email guide by now, right? https://www.linuxbabe.com/mail-serve...l-sever-ubuntu makes good how-to's. She's receptive to solving issues too. She has a 2-part guide.
    Linode and DigitalOcean have guides as well.
    Also, https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...and-ispconfig/ has a more complex server setup, but you can leave out the stuff you don't need. I don't like to have all those things in a single machine, but opinions on that vary greatly.
    And there's always Sovereign: https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign

I saw a lot of things that I didn't notice before (acme record in dns), linking to the right certificates and keys in the config files.
    At this moment authorisation with PAM is something I want to understand better.
    I haven't bothered with certs for TLS encryption of email. Self-signed work fine. No email servers actually seem to care.

I know that LTS is about the Linux kernel (that's why I placed it between brackets).
    That's an Arch thing. LTS under Ubuntu means so much more - in fact, Ubuntu's Kernels used in their LTS releases are not usually LTS according to the kernel.org people. Canonical has their own kernel team who port important changes to the kernel(s) they've standardized onto. The kernel is the main slab of the house, but it is just 1-3% of the code in any Linux computer.

With such a simple install as I have, I don't expect too much rolling.
    With Arch solving problems can be hard. But perhaps not harder than with Ubuntu for example.
    I had more issues with Arch than with Ubuntu, but we each have different experiences. I've only been running Linux systems since 1993. I still remember switching from SLS to Slackware because Slackware was 100x easier.

When the problem is in scope the solution is there very quick, because of the one size fits all (through pacman).
    People like pacman. I've never seen anything amazing that isn't included with RHEL or Debian package managers. I have had dependency issues with all of them. When I was new to package managers (Slackware didn't have package management when I ran it), I started with RedHat and found myself in "RPM Hell". That when there isn't any solution to the package dependency problems. The same can happen with any package manager that allows the flexibility of side-loading of packages. I've been in "APT Hell" a few times too, but was always able to figure out which package was causing the dependency problem and remove it, get fully updated, then install a newer version of the problem package.

Package management can be simple or very complex. It all depends on the admin of the system. If you stick with core Ubuntu Repos and don't ever allow storage in critical file systems to run low, you'll never have a problem.

Anyway, nothing wrong with running Arch. You'll learn a bunch.

Beans

"Ubuntu Server" doesn't have any GUI either.
    Yes, I know. I installed Ubuntu Desktop when getting stuck, in the hope Thunderbird and or Evolution would give some indication. The Arch install I hope to keep gui-less. So for now I only installed NeoMutt.

BTW, you have found a step-by-step how-to setup email guide by now, right?
    No, I did not find a complete one. The LinuxBabe guides seem very complete and also with info about the context sometimes. Thank you very much for pointing. This weekend am I going to walk it through.

I haven't bothered with certs for TLS encryption of email. Self-signed work fine. No email servers actually seem to care.
    Thanks for putting it into perspective. With the wrong setup and all the Thunderbird attempts it's more then welcome.

That's an Arch thing. LTS under Ubuntu means so much more - in fact, Ubuntu's Kernels used in their LTS releases are not usually LTS according to the kernel.org people. Canonical has their own kernel team who port important changes to the kernel(s) they've standardized onto. The kernel is the main slab of the house, but it is just 1-3% of the code in any Linux computer.
    Yeah choices, I chose Arch in 2022 because of the specs of my new PC. The choice for me then was between Debian and Arch, wanting to try something new. New hardware types work sometimes better with new software.

I had more issues with Arch than with Ubuntu, but we each have different experiences.
    I think it's correct. When I started with Arch I installed it with the Gnome Desktop. I know that I was amazed how much it was like Ubuntu. Very simple, never ever problems, but learning almost nothing about Linux. Just installs with pacman and git clone (and simple update routines). After a while I installed DWM, that's what I have now for my PC and laptop without a big desktop environment.

People like pacman. I've never seen anything amazing that isn't included with RHEL or Debian package managers. I have had dependency issues with all of them.
    For the mail server (hopefully later in time) is nice to keep running. But I will make a note of the instructions that should help me resetting up the system if needed. And of course backups of the config files.
    For my other computers I do care, but I am not afraid. When one system crashes, perhaps the other will still work (hopefully not updated around the same time). But my laptop is dualboot. Now with four environments no worries needed.

Anyway, nothing wrong with running Arch. You'll learn a bunch.
    Yeah, haha, my mail server project is accelerating that. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by player02; 1 Week Ago at 09:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12