Thread: No initrd.img generated on update/upgrade

Beans

No initrd.img generated on update/upgrade

# currently running
    Ubuntu 22.04.3
    kernel 5.15.0-94

# TLDNR; question

What can I copy to another machine to check the original machine will boot properly, or to test fixing boot errors?
    What folders would I need other than /boot? Or should I just clone the whole thing as an image?

#issue

I was previously on Ubuntu 20 lTS, kernel 5.4.171

When I updated and upgraded and ran do-release-upgrade
    NO /boot/initrd.img-* for the 5.15.0-94 was created, but the grub was automatically updated to look for it.

The result was a kernel panic on boot.

#details

After investigation, the update also bricked any kernel from booting back to 5.4.0-121. (kernels like 5.4.0-171 were toast despite having their initrd.img intact)

I booted into recovery mode with 5.4.0-121,
    manually create the initrd for the newer kernel with "mkinitramfs"
    and manually recreated the initrd.img file for the other kernels with "mkinitramfs".
    and "update-grub"

Then they all worked.

Nothing special about the update and upgrade process.

#Question

After getting the new version to boot, cleaning up unused packages caused 5.4.0-121 to be removed, and grub to be automcatically updated.

I'm nervous about rebooting it, since recent automatic grub updates caused boot failures. Without the safty net of 5.4.0-121, I won't be able to get back in without using a live cd.
    (5.4.0-121 is not able to reinstalled, with the message saying it is unfindable and obsolete.)

What can I copy to a different machine to test boot fixes?
    What folders would I need other than /boot? Or should I just clone the whole thing as an image?

Beans

Re: No initrd.img generated on update/upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by iturnaround View Post
    I'm nervous about rebooting it, since recent automatic grub updates caused boot failures. Without the safty net of 5.4.0-121, I won't be able to get back in without using a live cd.
    Create a new safety net: Take a the couple minutes to create a LiveUSB.

Sooner or later, everybody needs to know how to properly backup their data, and how to rebuild their services on a newly-installed system.
    Anybody who doesn't know how to do those two things is fettering themselves.
    Relying upon cloning and updates is relying upon hope. Sometimes folks are fortunate. Sometimes not.

Beans

Re: No initrd.img generated on update/upgrade

I take your point that the ability to rebuild faster from scratch would be ideal. It's somewhere in the todo list, and moving up the list I guess.
    That being said, things are backed up, and rebuilding is prepared for....I just don't want to give myself a headache I don't have to.
    Repairing the box where it is, is more annoying than diagnosing and determining next course remotely at the moment